Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Gadgets and Gizmos > Computing Forum

Old 08-06-2005, 20:19   #1
chuteless
Trusted User

Which graphics card?

I'll soon be building a new system (was hoping to upgrade my existing one, but I think it's pretty much past it...), and since I haven't looked at any PC hardware for ages, have no idea what's good at the moment.

I don't need a really great shiny dancing graphics card...the machine is mainly going to be used for simple things, like email, internet, aswell as watching DVDs and I would ideally like to get a TV card/tuner (whatever they're called) in there eventually aswell. I'm not a big games person, but have been known to have a go every now and then.

At the moment, it's only going to need to connect to my Sony CRT monitor, but I would like the option for a TFT in the future (they use DVI, right?), and there's also a chance I may be getting a nice big LCD widescreen TV, so something that I might be able to hook up to whatever these take aswell (for watching DVDs)? I don't really know much about all this high definition stuff or whether that comes into PCs at all (it's only been recommended as something I might consider for the LCD TV), but if someone could explain that if it might be relevant I would appreciate it.

Am I being a bit too picky wanting all this?

Thanks

chuteless

Last edited by chuteless; 08-06-2005 at 20:20.
chuteless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2005, 21:26   #2
Guest 3637
Trusted User

Bargain forum is your friend http://www.thedvdforums.com/forums/s...d.php?t=371689
Guest 3637 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 10:33   #3
chuteless
Trusted User

Thanks for the link...and that would save having to get a separate TV card later!

Does anyone know what the quality is like when connecting this to a LCD TV? I presume I would use the S-video out for that? Or do some TVs take a DVI signal now?
Old 09-06-2005, 11:26   #4
Guest 3637
Trusted User

Some newer ones use DVI or VGA if you can go for HDMI, but S-Video is'nt too bad.
Guest 3637 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 16:49   #5
Guest 7526
Gusset Guru

I'd always go for ATI - historically the image quality is usually noticably better than their nVidia counterparts.

Put that together your desire for TV & it sounds like an All-in-Wonder card would be ideal. There's a thread in the bargains forum for a 9800pro AIW for Ł88
Guest 7526 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 18:25   #6
chuteless
Trusted User

Thanks for the advice...looks like an ATI would be a good choice!

Does any of this high definition stuff make any difference, or is something worth considering, or should I just ignore all that for now? I'm right in thinking that would only be a concern for playing DVDs back on a HD TV, right?

The other thing I'm not sure about is noise....I hoping to make it a fairly quiet machine.....can the fans be replaced on these for heatsinks or it that all a bit complicated for someone who hasn't done it before?