Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Gaming Forums > Video Games Forum

Old 12-04-2005, 21:43   #1
Guest 2023

Xbox Ultimate Doom & Doom 2 music question

I bought the CE of Doom 3 for the Xbox and had a quick go on these 2 games. Is it me or has the music changed from the originals? i seem to remember the music being quite freaky.
Guest 2023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2005, 08:58   #2
JohnMac
XBL: JohnMacUK

They sound the same but I think the original music was in Midi music file format. So how you heard it originally really depended on the soundcard you were using back then. I have the Doom Collector's Edition on PC (Ultimate Doom, Doom II, Final Doom) and the music sounds very similar to the levels I have tried on the XBox Collector's Edition of Doom 3. Also, the first levels had more upbeat music compared to some of the later ones. Most of the time (since Windows 95) I've turned the music down in the game and played CDs or more recently MP3s in the background.
JohnMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2005, 10:21   #3
Guest 49904

Does anyone know if it is possible to turn off the music but keep the sound effects on? Seems to grate on the nerves after a while...
Guest 49904 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2005, 10:49   #4
JohnMac

There's no options menu so I don't think so. I noticed you can increase and decrease the screen size though (black and white buttons).
Old 13-04-2005, 10:51   #5
SqueakyG
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigboss
i seem to remember the music being quite freaky.
You may be remembering the Playstation version, which had its own new music/atmosphere tracks. They were pretty creepy -- one consisted of men moaning and babies crying.

The original PC version always had rubbish jingly-jangly MIDI music. The Xbox games are pretty lazy PC transfers, right down to the original features like making the screen size smaller. This means you get the original MIDI music, which hasn't even been recorded from a decent sound card.

More annoyingly, there are no graphics or sound options in the menus, so you have to listen to it.

These Xbox versions were a fun novelty for 20 seconds, but I think I'll continue to play them on the PC instead.

Last edited by SqueakyG; 13-04-2005 at 10:54.
SqueakyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2005, 11:00   #6
JohnMac

The only problem with the PC version of the Doom Collection (Ultimate Doom, Doom II and Final Doom) is that on my graphics card the Spectres (semi-invisible monsters) don't work properly so you can see them very clearly.

Last edited by JohnMac; 13-04-2005 at 11:01.
Old 13-04-2005, 11:27   #7
MaxNutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SqueakyG
The original PC version always had rubbish jingly-jangly MIDI music. The Xbox games are pretty lazy PC transfers, right down to the original features like making the screen size smaller. This means you get the original MIDI music, which hasn't even been recorded from a decent sound card.
not true on my Awe32 ... i remember the first time playing it and the orchestral strings getting all atmospheric (seemingly increasing the tension in time to the game), scaring the bejesus out of me!!
MaxNutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2005, 19:43   #8
Guest 2023

Quote:
Originally Posted by SqueakyG
You may be remembering the Playstation version, which had its own new music/atmosphere tracks. They were pretty creepy -- one consisted of men moaning and babies crying.

More annoyingly, there are no graphics or sound options in the menus, so you have to listen to it.

These Xbox versions were a fun novelty for 20 seconds, but I think I'll continue to play them on the PC instead.
You are right. I first played Doom on the Playstation. Oh well
Old 18-04-2005, 19:53   #9
lettuce
XBL Gamertag: BlockABoots

Playstation music was ace, added alot more to the game
lettuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2005, 20:05   #10
Guest 2023

Quote:
Originally Posted by lettuce
Playstation music was ace, added alot more to the game
You're not wrong. I remember playing it at midnight, lights off, headphones on and being well and truly freaked out (especially those wailing babies)