Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Gadgets and Gizmos > Computing Forum

Old 04-03-2005, 22:56   #1
reecie
Gamertag: Reecie

Mac and projector advice

Background - The wife is being given £2.5K to get kit for outreach work. As this work is in schools around the borough she's looking to get a laptop, projector and maybe a camcorder and or portable dvd player if the money stretches. Part of the s/w she needs to use only comes on Apple Macs. Not knowing much about macs or projectors I need advice on what she should look at as she's been left to find out what to get. and thus asked me

It looks to me like either a powerbook or ibook (with 512MB ram min) should do. Each seems to have dvi, s-video and composite output which should drive a projector. Is this correct? Which model is the best given it will used in schools? Is the Powerbook any better built? What would make me pick one over the other apart from price?

Does anyone have a recommendation for a light weight portable projector? I assume they do come in this type? It doesn't have to provide cinema quality output due to the type of use it will get. Leaving the best (for me) to last. Apparently, we get to keep all this stuff so the more I get get for the money the better
reecie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2005, 23:32   #2
Guest 1724
XBL: pennepacker

As far as projectors go, we have one of the Dell small projectors at work and it is pretty impressive for the size.
Guest 1724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2005, 23:45   #3
Guest 4377
Trusted User

With the current series there isn't much difference between pbooks and ibooks except the mouse pad and price. I think you have to apply a hack to get the dvi output to show a second display rather than just mirroring the first on the ibook which may be a consideration.
Guest 4377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 00:16   #4
reecie
Gamertag: Reecie

Cheers for the input so far. I was looking at the Dell pojectors. In a catalogue that arrived yesterday they do 2 "micro" projectors. the 2300MP at £997 and the 2200MP at £633. The 2300 has better resolution, contrast etc but is a fair bit more. Do Dell rebadge these or make their own?

Tawsi - Thanks for the ibook input.
reecie is offline   Reply With Quote