Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Gadgets and Gizmos > Home Entertainment Hardware forum

Old 28-02-2005, 09:10   #1
Guest 38314
CS:S Stole My Life

Problem with 32" LCD, Should I send it back?

Just bought the Samasung LE32A41B from QED and I am very happy with it apart from one thing.

The top right and bottom left corners seem to be lighter than the rest of the screen. It's only visible when changing channel on my digibox (the screen goes black for 1/2 a second) or on very dark scenes. It's quiet hard to describe but the light doesnt seem to be eminating from the edges of the box, but kind of like a floating cloud/patch(doesnt move). It took me about 8 hours of watching the TV to notice this, but now I've noticed it's started to bug me, and I am contiplating sending it back.

Is it generally accepted that LCDs suffer from this? Can I send it back as defective? My TFT monitor also suffers from this problem, however, that didnt cost over a grand and the light areas seem to be coming from the edges.

Should I send it back? If so should I demand a replacement and not a repair?. I seem to remember if you get an item repaired you lose some of your rights.

TIA

Visual
Guest 38314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2005, 09:38   #2
Guest 38314

You can see images of the setup here however not the problem, I will try and post that later on tonight.

From speaking to people at work They had the following coments.
  • Is it the speakers? (I think the B&W's will have enough magnetic sheilding to prevent this)
  • Another collegue said he had a similar problem which was due to Magnetic build up and the TV had to be sent back.
Any thoughts?

Last edited by visualunderground; 28-02-2005 at 09:39.
Old 28-02-2005, 09:51   #3
desmondc
The Baddest Mo Fo

Hello, It could be the speakers. Have you try the TV with out the speakers near by?

If this did not work then I think it has to go back.
desmondc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2005, 10:49   #4
Guest 29044
Trusted User

Is this not how LCDs work? I dont mean it is normal to see this, as I havent used an LCD telly, and only have limited experience of LCD monitors, but...

The backilght on the screen is by way of a couple of cathodoes (VERY BRIGHT!) normally on 2 opposite edges of the screen, that shine either across from side to side, or from top to bottom, and bottom to top, with a reflective surface on the back that shines the light thru the LCD panel.

Now depending on the ambient light in the room, the darkness of the scenes and how you have the brightness and contrast set up will all contribute to either hide this or show it worse than it really is. Like I say, Ive never used one, but knowing how LCDs work in a basic sense, this sounds like what is happening.

I would not think it was the speakers as there is no magnetic field distorion to think about.

Maybe someone with more experience will know what it is, but this is my diagnosis

D
Guest 29044 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2005, 10:51   #5
Guest 38314

Going to try this when I get home tonight. I will move the TV away from all electromagnetic sources and try it through its internal tuner.

However, it seems as though this is a comon problem with LCD's. From a google & a search over at avforums some people have seen it improve over time, others have seen improvements by cleaning(light pressure) the screen & also adjusting the backlight.

So.. will try that tonight

Edit

Obviously cant try the over time thing, my surname isnt McFly

Last edited by visualunderground; 28-02-2005 at 10:53.
Old 28-02-2005, 12:16   #6
Guest 29044
Trusted User

The only way it will 'improve' is the light given out by the cathode, or any light as it cant substain the same light output forever, so it does fade, so it hides the problem. I think it is fairly normal though. This is *kinda* why old monitors and TVs become very dull and dark the older they are, and the brightness has to be increased. Try it with the brightness at a decent level and contrast too.

D

Last edited by D'Ohnut; 28-02-2005 at 12:16.
Old 28-02-2005, 12:55   #7
Guest 111
Meep meep

Hmmm....sounds like a variation in the backlight. It will dull through many hours use but if its like that now its kinda were the screen fluctuates a bit.

The two Toshiba 32WL48's I tried were like that (the second one being particularily bad) but the Samsung I tried (32A33WX) was fine but the blurring was really bad.

Gently massaging the screen did make the first Tosh quite a bit better but its worrying as to why (guess it moves the layers closer together).

If its noticable though I'd demand an exchange. £1080's a lot of cash.

Wish that set had component video. I'd have tried one myself then.
Guest 111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2005, 13:19   #8
Guest 38314

Spoke to QED and they said
  • If I report the fault before 7 days they will send a courier to come and pick it up and replace it free of charge.
  • They can also send out a technician to come and have a look at it onsite. However, If no fault is found then I will have to pay the call out charge.
  • After 7 days they say it will go back to the manufacturer.

So I will make my final decision on Thursday to what I am going to do.

Damian
How gently did you massage the screen?
Old 28-02-2005, 13:21   #9
Guest 38314

Damian

How on earth did you manage to get 2 32WL48? I tried to get one and gave up going for the Sammy instead.

Last edited by visualunderground; 28-02-2005 at 13:21.
Old 28-02-2005, 13:27   #10
Guest 111
Meep meep

Got one 32WL48 from QED at the beginning of January (they just picked mine up and an "engineer" acknowledged the faults at QED....did take them 3 failed attempts to pick it up though and I never did get my compensation). Second one was from a local firm.

As for massaging.....just moderate pressure. I did it when it was on. If the screen goes really wild you are pressing to hard. Just get a really good, soft, damp cloth and clean the screen. You may not need to do much.

I can't take any responsibility if it goes worse....potentially it could I guess as you are going over the whole screen.
Guest 111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2005, 13:31   #11
Guest 38314

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damian Arstall
I can't take any responsibility if it goes worse....potentially it could I guess as you are going over the whole screen.

No worries. If it does anything other than get better then it's going back anyway.

Cheers

Visual
Old 28-02-2005, 14:25   #12
Guest 1924

I think what you are looking at is inherent to the design of LCD panels TBH...
Guest 1924 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2005, 15:57   #13
Guest 26557
High def guru

Sounds like a manufacturing problem to me - an LCD screen should not do that.

So much misinformation on this thread!

Some things that LCD screens do do (inherent in the design):
* brighter at the very edges of an image (that is where the backlights are)
* subtle differences in colour and brightness from top to bottom of the screen, or from left to right - this is due to either slight changes in the thickness of the material, or just because of your head/eyes position relative to the screen
* stuck pixels - usually either partly on (typically a colour, red, green or blue) or stuck off - fortunately these are rare
* faint vertical stripes every few pixels across the screen - known as 'vertical banding' - this can be adjusted out by an engineer
* blurry, badly defined image - this is because of a bad quality tuner, it is not a fault of the screen technology - almost all 'LCD TVs' have this problem
* combing effect on moving edges in the image (programs made with TV cameras, not movie cameras, only) - this is what comes of trying to watch interlaced TV material on a progressive display like LCD; a high-end LCD will have a built-in 'line doubler' or 'deinterlacer' that overcomes this problem, typically for a premium of £200-£300 over the price that the screen alone would be.

Some things that LCD displays do not do:
* they are not affected by loudspeaker magnets, or other nearby magnets
* they do not need 'de-Gaussing' or to have magnetic build-up removed

Incidentally, the backlight is not called the 'cathode'!! It is a CCFL (cold-cathode fluorescent lamp) - this is a kind of small fluorescent lamp, basically a micro-version of the fluorescent tube lights you probably have in the ceiling at your school or office.
Guest 26557 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2005, 16:22   #14
Guest 38314

Cheers cm-9,
I thought that the speakers would not affect my LCD but I just wanted to rule it out.
Will try and have a play with the settings tonight and see what happens. If no joy then I'll get a new one. If thats no good I'll try and get a Tosh & if I have no luck with that I dont know what i'll do.
Old 28-02-2005, 18:34   #15
Guest 29044
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cm-9
Sounds like a manufacturing problem to me - an LCD screen should not do that.

So much misinformation on this thread!

Some things that LCD screens do do (inherent in the design):
* brighter at the very edges of an image (that is where the backlights are)
* subtle differences in colour and brightness from top to bottom of the screen, or from left to right - this is due to either slight changes in the thickness of the material, or just because of your head/eyes position relative to the screen
* stuck pixels - usually either partly on (typically a colour, red, green or blue) or stuck off - fortunately these are rare
* faint vertical stripes every few pixels across the screen - known as 'vertical banding' - this can be adjusted out by an engineer
* blurry, badly defined image - this is because of a bad quality tuner, it is not a fault of the screen technology - almost all 'LCD TVs' have this problem
* combing effect on moving edges in the image (programs made with TV cameras, not movie cameras, only) - this is what comes of trying to watch interlaced TV material on a progressive display like LCD; a high-end LCD will have a built-in 'line doubler' or 'deinterlacer' that overcomes this problem, typically for a premium of £200-£300 over the price that the screen alone would be.

Some things that LCD displays do not do:
* they are not affected by loudspeaker magnets, or other nearby magnets
* they do not need 'de-Gaussing' or to have magnetic build-up removed

Incidentally, the backlight is not called the 'cathode'!! It is a CCFL (cold-cathode fluorescent lamp) - this is a kind of small fluorescent lamp, basically a micro-version of the fluorescent tube lights you probably have in the ceiling at your school or office.

FFS, for a start, I somehow assume that post was made towards me. I pointed out I was speaking from my limited knowledge, but you have said exactly what I said:

Pardom me for not getting the full name for the CATHODE though

Really makes me wonder sometimes why I even bother posting.

D
Old 01-03-2005, 09:42   #16
LV426
Trusted User

Now that was a bit tetchy.

The misinformation here is primarily about speakers, magnets, etc.

i.e.:
Hello, It could be the speakers. Have you try the TV with out the speakers near by?

Whereas you (quite correctly) denied this as a possibility. So, aside from your abbreviation of the terminology for the lamp - what else, that you did, do you think cm-9 was getting at?
LV426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2005, 11:23   #17
Guest 38314

Tried to gently massage the screen last night and it helped a lot. Settinds have no affect at all, I dont know if there is a service settings menu that has more controls but genral settings do nothing.

Going to make a final decission 2night, but I think it will be going back for a replacement.
Old 01-03-2005, 12:19   #18
Guest 26557
High def guru

Not trying to get at you, D'Ohnut - sorry if you read it that way. LV246 has it right. At the end of my post, I just thought it was worth pointing out the correct terminology to avoid confusion with the old style of TV which is called a cathode ray tube.

What D'Ohnut said about the backlights in old LCDs becoming dimmer over the years is a real problem - which is why it is not a good idea to leave your £1000 laptop switched on all day long when you are not using it (or at least use the Power Saving feature to switch off the screen). Needs about 15,000 to 20,000 hours before the backlight becomes really too dim to use. I'm writing this on a laptop with probably 15,000 hours on it and the backlight is still OK, maybe 70% of original brightness.

visualunderground - if massaging the screen made a difference, it is clearly a manufacturing fault and not something wrong in the settings. I'd take it back if I were you, remember the consumer is always right.
Guest 26557 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2005, 12:59   #19
Guest 38314

cm-9 - I always thought this was the case but it means taking another 2 days unpayed of work (I'm a freelancer). This adds a considerable amount to my £1080 TV

I think I am going to have to take it back though, otherwise I will always think "what if?".

Last edited by visualunderground; 01-03-2005 at 12:59.