Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Gadgets and Gizmos > Home Entertainment Hardware forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30-07-2008, 08:04   #261
Guest 3850
London Irish in Denmark
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: København or Teddington (Home of the Fish Slap Dance)
Posts: 393
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by monalisaa View Post
Go for these brands---> sony/samsung/ philips

And make sure to take extendended warranty 3 year cover.
I went for the Samsung LE40A556P in the end (in fact I was probably watching it as you where replying), 3xHDMI, 2xSCART, VGA, Component & Freeview. I'm particularly impressed with the Freeview performance. £600 from Dixons.

I'm curious about the extended warranty you say I should get. Usually I just ignore the warranty sales talk at the till. Is there a reason why I should buy this with an LCD TV?

Quote:
Originally Posted by monalisaa View Post
Also u didnt say how much u looking to spend?
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPM
I'm flexible on price but I'd rather not spend more than £700, and obviously less is better.
Guest 3850 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2008, 12:18   #262
Guest 17113
(c.485-c.406)
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: The Chord of Souls
Posts: 911
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPM View Post
I went for the Samsung LE40A556P in the end (in fact I was probably watching it as you where replying), 3xHDMI, 2xSCART, VGA, Component & Freeview. I'm particularly impressed with the Freeview performance. £600 from Dixons.

I'm curious about the extended warranty you say I should get. Usually I just ignore the warranty sales talk at the till. Is there a reason why I should buy this with an LCD TV?
I'm looking at the LE40A558P - any ideas if this is as good?

Cheers
Guest 17113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2008, 13:03   #263
Guest 3850
London Irish in Denmark
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: København or Teddington (Home of the Fish Slap Dance)
Posts: 393
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Euripedes View Post
I'm looking at the LE40A558P - any ideas if this is as good?

Cheers
I've had a look at the Samsung website and found the detailed technical specs for the two models, the LE40A556P that I bought, and the LE40A558P that you are looking.

Annoyingly the specifications for the two models are quoted in a different order which makes it difficult to compare, but the only real differences that I could see where the inputs on the rear of the TV.

The 556 has a D-SUB connector (Standard computer VGA input) that the 558 does not have, and the 558 gets a Composite and S-Video inputs instead. The 556 also has an RS-232C port the the 558 does not, but as I think that's for servicing only, so I suspect Samsung may have left it of the specification sheet for the 558 rather then remove the actual port.

You should double check it yourself, but if you want the VGA input buy the 556, if you want an extra Composite and S-Video input but the 558
Guest 3850 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2008, 13:13   #264
Guest 17113
(c.485-c.406)
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: The Chord of Souls
Posts: 911
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cheers CPM, I'll take a look
Guest 17113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 11:32   #265
Guest 66385
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 3
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPM View Post
I've had a look at the Samsung website and found the detailed technical specs for the two models, the LE40A556P that I bought, and the LE40A558P that you are looking.

Annoyingly the specifications for the two models are quoted in a different order which makes it difficult to compare, but the only real differences that I could see where the inputs on the rear of the TV.

The 556 has a D-SUB connector (Standard computer VGA input) that the 558 does not have, and the 558 gets a Composite and S-Video inputs instead. The 556 also has an RS-232C port the the 558 does not, but as I think that's for servicing only, so I suspect Samsung may have left it of the specification sheet for the 558 rather then remove the actual port.

You should double check it yourself, but if you want the VGA input buy the 556, if you want an extra Composite and S-Video input but the 558
I too have just purchased the LE40A558p from Argos, they had a special offer this week (ends today, product code 536/6206) for £599.99 and Argos redeem Nectar points so with the 26,000 nectar points i had accumalated I have got myself a bargain...

Unpacked the TV last night and everything looks stunning apart from the wife complaining that the picture looks too bright for her... we've yet to get SkyHD so I would like to know if anyone knows of any preferences for the picture settings

Appreciate your help in advance

Firedup
Guest 66385 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 23:16   #266
Guest 3850
London Irish in Denmark
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: København or Teddington (Home of the Fish Slap Dance)
Posts: 393
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by firedupinside View Post
acked the TV last night and everything looks stunning apart from the wife complaining that the picture looks too bright for her... we've yet to get SkyHD so I would like to know if anyone knows of any preferences for the picture settings
Does it have the VGA connector on the back, or Composite and S-Video?

Can't help with the SkyHD question, the only TV I watch on it is Freeview.
Guest 3850 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 21:31   #267
Ono
I LIEK JEON JI-HYUN!!!111
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: London(ish)
Posts: 25,410
Thanks: 614
Thanked 295 Times in 161 Posts
OK, what's the best 42-46nch LCD for about £1000-1200?

Last edited by Ono; 02-01-2009 at 21:34.
Ono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 22:37   #268
Dan
Passed away :(
 
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 18,791
Thanks: 1
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Sony W4500

http://whathifi.com/BestBuys/TVs-BestBuys/best-buy-TVs/
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 22:50   #269
Ono
I LIEK JEON JI-HYUN!!!111
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: London(ish)
Posts: 25,410
Thanks: 614
Thanked 295 Times in 161 Posts
Too expensive though. Was ideally looking for a 46 inch at that price as the room it is being housed in is huge.

Last edited by Ono; 02-01-2009 at 22:51.
Ono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 13:30   #270
Guest 69011
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 2
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColinP View Post
Even looks great when it's turned off Much better than a hulking great CRT in the corner of the room!

How come you haven't put the left front speaker to the left of the TV stand? Won't you get an unbalanced sound? My setup has my fronts either side of the tv stand and my rear speakers are slightly above my head. I've Kef Cresta speakers. Cresta 2's for front and rear and Cresta Centre speaker with matching sub. I've Toshiba VX37355 TV on the stand I instend to wall mount my fronts and centre speaker so they're the same height as my rears.

I bought some adhesive strips to slide the cables into then stick the strips to the walls. It makes things neater. I also have a Sony Blu-Ray player and Sony 940 reciever / amp.
Guest 69011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2009, 23:26   #271
powder
Trusted User
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 3,316
Thanks: 14
Thanked 16 Times in 14 Posts
Looks like the speakers are either side of where his projector is aimed to me?
powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2009, 10:56   #272
Guest 2073
Trusted User
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Lancs, UK
Posts: 52
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Anyone have any information on lag when using an LCD for xbox 360 gaming? I want a nice 46" LCD TV for online games/DVD/BD, but was a bit worried when I read a review of a Samsung series 6 that said it'd be too laggy for gamers.
Guest 2073 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2009, 14:36   #273
sparkyrob
It was collateral damage
 
sparkyrob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Brizzle
Posts: 4,061
Thanks: 38
Thanked 88 Times in 32 Posts
Just bought a Samsung LED series 7, 360 games play like a charm. Not played online though, so couldn't tell you how it performs on there. Can't see it being a problem though.
sparkyrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2009, 09:51   #274
daboy3000
Gone
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Surrey
Posts: 8,841
Thanks: 592
Thanked 433 Times in 261 Posts
Looking to buy a Toshiba Regza 37AV635DB 37-inch for mainly playing 360 games but also to watch tv shows from my pc but its not 1080, should i spend more or will it not make any difference?
daboy3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 18:53   #275
TigaSefi
Xbox Live/PS3 : TigaSefi
 
TigaSefi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 18,752
Thanks: 49
Thanked 96 Times in 62 Posts
What are LED tv's like for power consumption? And how much better are they against LCD TV for picture quality from HD sources and Xbox360. I currently watch through a Plasma TV and I rarely found an LCD that gave as good a picture.
__________________
"And so it is, just as you said it would be"
TigaSefi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 19:23   #276
Lord of The Rants
Floppy Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: In a shoe.
Posts: 764
Thanks: 1
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Is playing an XBOX360 through a plasma a no-no for screen burn?
Lord of The Rants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 20:13   #277
TigaSefi
Xbox Live/PS3 : TigaSefi
 
TigaSefi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 18,752
Thanks: 49
Thanked 96 Times in 62 Posts
Not as far as I know for the last 2 years ?
__________________
"And so it is, just as you said it would be"
TigaSefi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 12:29   #278
backtothefuture
Trusted User
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 915
Thanks: 8
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigaSefi View Post
What are LED tv's like for power consumption? And how much better are they against LCD TV for picture quality from HD sources and Xbox360. I currently watch through a Plasma TV and I rarely found an LCD that gave as good a picture.
I have a similar query... not sure whether to go for a LCD/LED or Plasma!

according to the guy in the store LCDs are better for high-def but not as good for analogue (compared to Plasmas)...

though I would have thought current gen LCDs would have sorted this...

also why are Plasmas still being made? Is it only because they provide a much cheaper alternative to LCDs and LEDs?
__________________
Time-travel: Can't happen, won't happen.
backtothefuture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 06:52   #279
gingertom
Trusted User
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Sand, Sea and Surf
Posts: 2,652
Thanks: 60
Thanked 21 Times in 19 Posts
I think its a thread that died - for your info I just bought a Panasonic Plasma - see this thread
http://forums.thedigitalfix.co.uk/fo...d.php?t=594565
as I had a limited budget - had I been able to get to the £1000 mark then I would have gone LED - but I am delighted with the Panny
__________________
Red Rover, Red Rover, let Ray go over...
gingertom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 07:35   #280
splobber
Administrator
 
splobber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Lake Titicaca
Posts: 67,115
Thanks: 40
Thanked 728 Times in 360 Posts
It's a spambot you are talking to by the way.
splobber is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump

All times are GMT. The time now is 23:08.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright ©2000 - 2018 Poisonous Monkey Ltd. Part of The Digital Fix Network