Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Sports Forum

Closed Thread

Old 11-08-2004, 15:53   #141
movaado
XBL: movaado

Del Piero, whilst not as good as he was before he had all those injuries is still a very very good player. You don't score the amount of goals in the champions league that he has if you are a poor player (I think off the top of my head only Raul has scored more than him )

Last edited by movaado; 11-08-2004 at 15:54. Reason: to make sense!
Old 11-08-2004, 15:55   #142
balstino
Toothpick & Two Berettas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deron
Juve have no qualms about selling players who they don't want.
Yeah unless he is the Italian mascot that everyone looks up to, "imagines" is amazing, and puts on a throne just because they don't have anyone else!!!!!!! Totti is another one just like him, Italians must the gay look or something.

An example of decent Italian strikers in the last 5 years or so would be Vieri and P. Inzaghi.
Old 11-08-2004, 16:00   #143
uk_mez
Groover

And a bit further back, the god-like Giuseppe Signori (think he's still knocking around Serie B?)
Old 11-08-2004, 16:03   #144
balstino
Toothpick & Two Berettas

Yeah and R. Baggio, the stuff he could do was amazing, saw him doing tricks with a ball on Football Italia, only ever seen Zidane do anything that impressive. I think it was in France '98 when Vieri and Baggio were partnered upfront, that was something else to watch. Brilliant.
Old 11-08-2004, 16:08   #145
Deron
PS4 Gamertag: D3RONG

Quote:
Originally Posted by balstino
Yeah unless he is the Italian mascot that everyone looks up to, "imagines" is amazing, and puts on a throne just because they don't have anyone else!!!!!!! Totti is another one just like him, Italians must the gay look or something.

An example of decent Italian strikers in the last 5 years or so would be Vieri and P. Inzaghi.

Didn't Juve sell both of them in their prime...

At least Totti is a fantastic player. Some of the stuff he did last season was superb.

I agree about the Italians though, always fussing with their hair.

Oh and Bolton after Diouf on loan...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/foot...rs/3556166.stm

Last edited by Deron; 11-08-2004 at 16:10.
Old 11-08-2004, 16:24   #146
Mr Dan
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deron
Oh and Bolton after Diouf on loan...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/foot...rs/3556166.stm
Give the muppet away for nothing. Sounds harsh but I hate it when good players come and do nothing for a club.
Old 11-08-2004, 16:40   #147
balstino
Toothpick & Two Berettas

Alonso on?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/foot...ol/3552128.stm

SWP off?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/foot...ty/3546376.stm
Old 11-08-2004, 16:41   #148
Guest 2241
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tob
I agree Camaj, a spell in Spain would probably help him develop (although you could argue it has had the opposite effect for Beckham). The blame for Owen's lack of confidence/form should rest at Houllier's feet
That could be the case but I'm not entirely convinced. What if it wasn't down to Houlier? He hasn't played better for england either although if he's out of form he's not going to be in form for the odd england game.

What if it's not Houlier and he's just lost his touch? Someone said that he didn't look as fast after his injury and that what made him so dangerous but he's also lost his ball control, dribbling and shooting abilities. With any luck they'll return but what if they don't? Liverpool would have missed out on a chance to cash in when they had the chance. Keeping him then, would be a gamble.

With Becks, I think a lot of it has to do with his personal life. He certainly started well, he had a very bad Euro 2004 though. Owen doesn't have the same sort of pressure so he might settle better but moving to a different club, let alone a different country can have a huge impact on a player. I think a clean break would probably be best for him
Old 11-08-2004, 16:52   #149
monkeyman
Giallo Nut!!

Maybe not-just on SKY SPORTS NEWS that the SWP contract talks have broken down and a value of £10 million has been mentioned by his board.....
Old 11-08-2004, 16:55   #150
Deron

Hopefully both still...

Alonso is looking like a cert. Man City are probably getting scared.

His dad would no doubt advise him for a move to Liverpool, as I can't see him recommending Tottenham!

Would be fantastic getting both of them and I could see us having one of the best attacking line-ups around.

Just need Kewell to get back to what he was doing at Leeds and job would be a good 'un.
Old 11-08-2004, 16:57   #151
Deron

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyman
Maybe not-just on SKY SPORTS NEWS that the SWP contract talks have broken down and a value of £10 million has been mentioned by his board.....

Hmm, sounds good. Wonder if 7 mill plus Finnan would appease them...?
Old 11-08-2004, 16:57   #152
macca1476
Homer is god

I think Owens form is similar to what i saw of Sol Campbell once he decided to see out his contract. Towards the end of his Spurs career he looked like he was going through the motions, once he moved he became a different player and showed how good he was.

At this level if you arent fully committed then you are going to lose half a step and it shows.

Poor form aside, Liverpool will not allow Owen to see out his contract. Ideally he would sign a four year deal and recapture the energy and magic he had three years ago. Thats not going to happen because Owen doesnt want to be here anymore (if he did he would have signed long ago).

So he has to go to whoever will pay a decent amount for him.
Old 11-08-2004, 16:57   #153
Guest 5912
Trusted User

Quote:
theres no way we could afford both those players...unless liverpool have something up their sleeve
Old 11-08-2004, 17:06   #154
macca1476
Homer is god

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toon Army
I think it is absolutely hilarious that Liverpool 'fans' are on here slating him and claiming they'll be glad when he leaves.:
personally i think its funny that a supporter of Newcastle hasnt enough to be talking about on his own thread. surely you cant be bored talking about the strides of progess freddy shepherd has made this summer ?

Last edited by macca1476; 11-08-2004 at 17:07.
Old 11-08-2004, 17:10   #155
Guest 987
That's what she said!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogbert
theres no way we could afford both those players...unless liverpool have something up their sleeve
Well we've pretty much established they can afford Alonso at this stage. If Owen was to go then of course they could afford SWP
Old 11-08-2004, 17:19   #156
john316
XBL: morro316

Quote:
Its all falling into place - I think a fee of £8m will secure SWP and with Xabi almost certainly arriving plus whoever Real convince us to accept in the Owen deal, we are looking good
Old 11-08-2004, 17:38   #157
Guest 3083
XBL Gamertag: PaulB1803

We could still do with a quality CB though. As Rafa seems to be favouring deals with spanish clubs, and i know not a great deal about Spanish sides, who would you like to see arrive to fill that position? bearing in mind we probably can't afford too much.
Old 11-08-2004, 17:57   #158
saltysam
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul.B
We could still do with a quality CB though. As Rafa seems to be favouring deals with spanish clubs, and i know not a great deal about Spanish sides, who would you like to see arrive to fill that position? bearing in mind we probably can't afford too much.
AYALA,definitely.he's over 30,we could probably get him for 4 million.
Old 11-08-2004, 18:12   #159
r.vernon1
You'll Never Walk Alone..

Quote:
Xabi Alonso Omitted from Real Sociedad Squad

From Paul Giblin, PA International, Madrid

Real Sociedad coach Jose Maria Amorrortu has left Liverpool target Xabi Alonso out of his squad for this evening’s friendly against Basque rivals Osasuna.

The decision will only increase speculation that a deal to take the Spanish international midfielder to Anfield is imminent.

Alonso is not included in the 16-man squad Amorrortu is taking to Irun, a town on the France-Spain border, where the friendly is to be played.

He has been replaced by Mikel Aranburu, who missed out of the Basque side’s trip to England, where they played Liverpool’s city rivals Everton last weekend in a match watched by Rafael Benitez, who took the reins at Anfield in the summer.

The Basque club have admitted contact with Liverpool over the player, while the Merseyside club are thought to be offering around £10-12million for his services.

Alonso, who earned his first international cap for Spain last year, played for his country in this summer’s European Championships.

The decision could be due to Real’s desire to avoid Alonso getting injured with talks at a critical moment, but it may not be quite that simple.

Real are due to play another friendly against local Second Division outfit Eibar on Saturday and Amorrortu has stated that he plans to use fewer players in these games and give some of them 90 minutes’ competitive action as the start of the season approaches.

It now remains to be seen whether or not Alonso is included in the squad for Saturday’s game or even if he is still at the club by then.
from http://sport.scotsman.com/latest.cfm?id=3328049

Sounds more and more that he will arrive in the next few days. I hope so.

SWP looks less likely, I found this posted today,

http://www.manchesteronline.co.uk/sp...ps_talks_.html

We still have a few players, CB and another midfielder after Xabi.

Rob
Old 11-08-2004, 18:20   #160
JK
Gold Trader

Current rumour floating around is that Figo may well also be a part of the Owen deal should it go ahead.

Apperently Real are quite keen to offload as they have some new wonder kid waiting in the wings.
Closed Thread