Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Sports Forum

Closed Thread

Old 11-08-2004, 12:47   #121
john316
XBL: morro316

Anyone hear on Sky before about the Owen situation being sorted this afternoon?
Old 11-08-2004, 13:14   #122
Guest 1521
Banned

I think it is absolutely hilarious that Liverpool 'fans' are on here slating him and claiming they'll be glad when he leaves. He is the only (current) English forward who is truly world class - his record at international level and competition level is unparalleled and he gets his international goals against the big boys of this world - not the Switzerlands and Croatias before any Rooney fans squeal.

Anyone with an ounce of football sense would take Micahel Owen if offered. His Premiership goal scoring record is right up there, despite playing for a team that under Houllier seemed to be confused about the notion of 'ball goes in goal-shaped thing'. You are losing more than you seem to realise.

And to make out that Little Stevie Lad is a local hero for not leaving...
Amazing what persuasive power a baseball bat can have...
Old 11-08-2004, 13:24   #123
redvers
Member? FNARR!

Quote:
Originally Posted by john316
Anyone hear on Sky before about the Owen situation being sorted this afternoon?
That update in full :

"According to reports in Spain, talks are progressing"

Have they been reading Koptalk?
Old 11-08-2004, 13:25   #124
Guest 5912
Trusted User

[COLOR=Black]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toon Army
What prrof do you have to make an accuasation like that??

And dont use the old "it was in the papers" chestnut.

Idiot

Last edited by dogbert; 11-08-2004 at 13:26. Reason: Speeling
Old 11-08-2004, 13:27   #125
john316

Quote:
I think it is absolutely hilarious that Liverpool 'fans' are on here slating him and claiming they'll be glad when he leaves
Do you have any idea what you are talking about?
Old 11-08-2004, 13:37   #126
The Dude
Cool Dude Of The Forums

I'm getting sick and tired of fans from other teams coming into opposition football team threads to basically try and wind us up a little bit. Sensible talk from fans of other football teams is fine, but this doesn't seem to be the case a lot of the time.

Last edited by The Dude; 11-08-2004 at 13:38.
Old 11-08-2004, 13:46   #127
The Dude
Cool Dude Of The Forums

If the whole Madrid thing isn't sorted out by Saturday and Owen played against Tottenham then how would you feel? I'd probably get the depressed feeling like I did during the European championships with the whole Gerrard saga.
Old 11-08-2004, 13:51   #128
saltysam
Trusted User

Quote:
I think it is absolutely hilarious that Liverpool 'fans' are on here slating him and claiming they'll be glad when he leaves. He is the only (current) English forward who is truly world class - his record at international level and competition level is unparalleled and he gets his international goals against the big boys of this world - not the Switzerlands and Croatias before any Rooney fans squeal.

Anyone with an ounce of football sense would take Micahel Owen if offered. His Premiership goal scoring record is right up there, despite playing for a team that under Houllier seemed to be confused about the notion of 'ball goes in goal-shaped thing'. You are losing more than you seem to realise.

what a stupid post-amazing what supporting a "big" club that's won nothing since bobby robson was wearing nappies can do for your perspective.

Last edited by saltysam; 11-08-2004 at 13:52.
Old 11-08-2004, 14:04   #129
Guest 41331
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltysam
what a stupid post-amazing what supporting a "big" club that's won nothing since bobby robson was wearing nappies can do for your perspective.

Thats a bit harsh, theyre bound to win something with Titus Bramble in defence
Old 11-08-2004, 14:14   #130
Guest 2241
Trusted User

Quote:
I think it is absolutely hilarious that Liverpool 'fans' are on here slating him and claiming they'll be glad when he leaves.
I think it's 50/50 on this thread. If we were talking the owen of 2-3 years ago I'd have said keep him but the performances he's turned in since then have been awful. Along with Houlier,he's been responsible for the underachievement of the club in recent years.

It's true that morientes is unproven in the premiership but I even if he doesn't live up to expectations he'd still be better than owen. I'd back them for some sort of honours if he joined, but not if he stayed. Of course he could regain the form he once had but he hasn't done so in over two seasons of trying and there's nothing to suggest he ever will

Also if erikson insists on selecting him then maybe a spell in spain would help his game
Old 11-08-2004, 14:16   #131
Guest 8751
Trusted User

Michael Owen would get into any top team in Europe.
There is no way liverpool would be considering selling him, if it wasn't for the contract situation and the possibility of losing him for nothing.
Old 11-08-2004, 14:19   #132
Tob
Trusted User

I agree Camaj, a spell in Spain would probably help him develop (although you could argue it has had the opposite effect for Beckham). The blame for Owen's lack of confidence/form should rest at Houllier's feet though, I would like to see how he plays under a good manager like Benitez in a team that isn't mediocre in almost every possible way (particularly in creating chances). I think he would be more like the Owen of 2/3 seasons ago before the rot had set in at Anfield.

Last edited by Tob; 11-08-2004 at 14:20.
Old 11-08-2004, 14:22   #133
Deron
PS4 Gamertag: D3RONG

Quote:

No one is claiming we'll be glad if he leaves!

What is annoying us is the fact that he's holding our club to ransom. We merely want the situation to be sorted out and quickly. If he wants to go to Madrid get it done!

Liverpool as a club are trying to move foreward and if the Madrid 10mil + Morientes is an option, it's a fantastic deal.

Fans hate a player that isn't committed. It would have broke our heart if Gerrard was to go, but if he didn't want to be here, then he's leaving would be the best thing for both parties.

Owen's situation is a lot different as he's let his contract whittle away until the last season and if he is to go we need to maximise our income. If he was committed then he'd have signed long ago, rather than hoping to bleed our coffers dry or go to a bigger club.

Only mistake, he's made is that his perfomances have not backed up his actions and Liverpool FC have the upper hand now in negotiations.

If he doesn't sign he won't play as he won't be part of Benitez long term plans and he'll just rot or be loaned out for his final season. That will not be to his best interests...
Old 11-08-2004, 14:28   #134
Guest 10592
Come along, Pond.

ToonArmy's post was a little confrontational, but I agree with the gist of his argument. He might have had a bad time of late, but a striker thrives on service and his style of game was surely strangled by Houllier's tactics - the same tactics that made a lot of you want him out in the first place!

Michael Owen is a class player, and class doesn't disappear. The fact that Real are after him (if indeed it is a fact!) speaks volumes. I feel sure that if Owen's contract wasn't the hot potato it is now, all the Liverpool fans would be behind him and very interested to see how he operates in Benitez's system.

As for the Gerrard saga, that's surely ancient history now. When push came to shove, he made his decision and stayed with Liverpool. The decision making process might stick in the craw of Liverpool fans who question his commitment, but surely if he plays like he did last night, there can be little complaint.
Old 11-08-2004, 14:36   #135
d80s0q
Godfather

As many have already said on this thread, no-one has anything against Owen (or very few do). The point is that if he wants to leave, we can't stop him really, as he only has one year left anyway. So, if the offer is there, take it when it is as good as has been mooted.

Morientes is class, through and through. Unproven in the premiership? Well, maybe, as is everyone at some point. What he is though is a proven La Liga/French Division One/CL/International goalscorer. Now THAT is quality. And he's proven in more ways than youth players, or than many other big strikers etc were when they were brought into the UK, or first played for a club (obviously).

Owen is a great player who we would all be happy to have at 'pool. But, at the end of the day, if he goes we should come out of it all well. And hopefully so will he (Until we play Real in CL and beat them easily )

d80s0q
Old 11-08-2004, 14:45   #136
cheeseypuffs
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilsly
Michael Owen would get into any top team in Europe.
There is no way liverpool would be considering selling him, if it wasn't for the contract situation and the possibility of losing him for nothing.
That's it exactly. I don't think there's much doubt he is the best English striker around, but if he doesn't sign a new contract he will go for nothing at the end of the season. I think most of us would rather swap him now for Ł10million and a top player than have Owen for one more season, then have neither the cash or the player.
Old 11-08-2004, 14:46   #137
Deron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandmaster
Michael Owen is a class player, and class doesn't disappear.
That what I said about Fowler and Del Piero...
Old 11-08-2004, 14:51   #138
john316

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandmaster
Michael Owen is a class player, and class doesn't disappear. The fact that Real are after him (if indeed it is a fact!) speaks volumes. I feel sure that if Owen's contract wasn't the hot potato it is now, all the Liverpool fans would be behind him and very interested to see how he operates in Benitez's system
I've defended him in the past but its now reached a point where Michael is looking very bad in this situation - his actions have been of a man looking to leave on the cheap and not thinking of the club that has built him into the player he is today.
Old 11-08-2004, 14:55   #139
balstino
Toothpick & Two Berettas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deron
Del Piero...
You'd never, ever hear me say that about him I watched Football Italia for years and he is rubbish, never has been any good. Weah, Batistuta, Shevchenco, even Bierhoff all had amazing seasons at some point, some 3 amazing seasons while that little fag never did anything worth talking about.
Old 11-08-2004, 15:34   #140
Deron

Quote:
Originally Posted by balstino
You'd never, ever hear me say that about him I watched Football Italia for years and he is rubbish, never has been any good. Weah, Batistuta, Shevchenco, even Bierhoff all had amazing seasons at some point, some 3 amazing seasons while that little fag never did anything worth talking about.
Del Piero was class for a while...

I'm pretty sure Juve wouldn't have kept faith with him if they never rated him, and on that fat contract.

Juve have no qualms about selling players who they don't want.
Closed Thread