Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Sports Forum

Closed Thread

Old 10-08-2004, 22:20   #101
riz1
Trusted User

what the heck is with this Spurs invasion of the liverpool thread?
we closed one down to get rid of you lot!
Old 11-08-2004, 07:07   #102
movaado
XBL: movaado

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDwarf
As for the "Owen swap for Morientes + £10M" - where do you people find this stuff? It's fantastic
It was on just about every football website yesterday
Old 11-08-2004, 07:39   #103
Guest 19770
Banned

what I liked about last nights match is what we lacked..........

we lacked the ability to make 10-15 flippin stupid passes that put us in the ertha kitter, in virtually every Foolier match

I only seen 2 or 3 last night which is far more exceptable

bye owen your a mercenary, who fell out of love for the club the day you made your first million.

And I for one shall never forgive u for shafting us in Leverkusen, or playing your part in our negative longball game, which is the only trick u have.

Get ready to warm the bench at Madrid just like u did last night for the greatest club in English football history............chumpstain
Old 11-08-2004, 07:54   #104
john316
XBL: morro316

I for one think Owen is in real trouble now - I don't think Michael is really wanted by any big club unless they can palm off unwanted players onto our wage bill. I don't think Rafa wants anything to do with him anymore either so I think he could be stuck in No Mans Land
Old 11-08-2004, 08:04   #105
redvers
Member? FNARR!

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaj
To sell owen and get £10m and a player like Morientes has to be the bargin of the century. A straight swap alone would have been amazing but to get £10m on top If I were benitez I'd be helping him pack right now
I said something like this to my mate last night. If it is true, I wouldn't be putting him on the bench, I'd be putting him on the plane!!
Old 11-08-2004, 08:34   #106
r.vernon1
You'll Never Walk Alone..

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDwarf
As for the "Owen swap for Morientes + £10M" - where do you people find this stuff? It's fantastic
http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/mediawatch...40811-0905.htm
Old 11-08-2004, 09:18   #107
Guest 11760
Cowboy From Hell

The new Spanish full back looked quite good last night and it was good to see Riise back in the side at right back rather than Houllier's bit on the side Traore.
Old 11-08-2004, 10:21   #108
RobDickinson
Trusted User

hmm Owen was on the bench in case we needed him.

Club is basicaly willing to loose some cash on his transfer if we needed him to get us into the CL proper to earn big money - would be a swing.roundabout thing.

And he's on the bench so if he does go he's worth more.

As for the performance, didnt see all that much but we looked way to comfortable for it to have a lot of meaning, few prem teams will give us such a poor game.
Old 11-08-2004, 10:42   #109
Tob
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaj
To sell owen and get £10m and a player like Morientes has to be the bargin of the century. A straight swap alone would have been amazing but to get £10m on top If I were benitez I'd be helping him pack right now
Would you seriously swap Owen and £10million (peanuts) for an ageing Morientes? That is one hell of a deal for Real in my opinion. I have to laugh at the Liverpool fans giving Owen stick, I shudder to think where Liverpool would be if it wasn't for Owen's goals. He is a proven scorer and I was looking forward to seeing how he would play under a half decent manager. Owen, Cisse, Baros and Pongelle is an impressive glut of strikers for any club, I think you lose a lot if you remove Owen from that list.
Old 11-08-2004, 10:50   #110
balstino
Toothpick & Two Berettas

Hmmm, I agree, I'm not sure that letting Owen go is a wise move. Didn't see last night's game because of commitments but apparently Baros was not finishing well and Owen's record of goal scoring and ability at club level is so consistent it should not be sniffed at. He may of been top scorer last season had he not been injured. If Owen is to go, it has to be someone like Saviola to replace him.

Last edited by balstino; 11-08-2004 at 11:47.
Old 11-08-2004, 10:55   #111
john316
XBL: morro316

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tob
Would you seriously swap Owen and £10million (peanuts) for an ageing Morientes? That is one hell of a deal for Real in my opinion. I have to laugh at the Liverpool fans giving Owen stick, I shudder to think where Liverpool would be if it wasn't for Owen's goals. He is a proven scorer and I was looking forward to seeing how he would play under a half decent manager. Owen, Cisse, Baros and Pongelle is an impressive glut of strikers for any club, I think you lose a lot if you remove Owen from that list.
What do we do?

Kidnap his family and force him to sign a new deal?
Break his legs so he can't sign for anyone else?
Let him leave for absolutely nothing?

We have to absolutely got something or someone for him - the way this has developed is that we have forced his hand. I really do believe he was trying to get himself through August and lead us to get absolutely nothing for him in January. Even if he does sign a new deal now, I'm still convinced whatsoever that he is doing it cos he wants to stay but because he can't find anyone to take him!
Old 11-08-2004, 10:58   #112
movaado

So, we keep Owen for a season and then let go for a bosman free? i.e. 'pool will be 10 million quid worse off and without Morientes. Morientes is only 27, hardly old.

Sounds a no brainer to me if he has no intention of increasing his contract
Old 11-08-2004, 11:44   #113
Tob
Trusted User

I thought Morientes is 28. Unproven in the Prem and two seasons of top flight football left?

I just don't think Owen is the type of person to hold Liverpool to ransom over a new contract. He has been at the club since he was 11 so to question his loyalty is pretty unfair. Is it so unlikely Liverpool aren't prepared to pay him what he might want for one reason or another? Anyway, I hope they sort it out and he signs a new contract, the Prem is a better league with him in it.

Last edited by Tob; 11-08-2004 at 11:47.
Old 11-08-2004, 12:07   #114
movaado

Yup, hes 28. I agree, the league and the team would be better if he stayed.

Two seasons of top flight footy left? Don't tell Sheringham / Shearer / Sheringham / Solskjaer / Bergkamp / Di Canio / Kluivert etc that
Old 11-08-2004, 12:09   #115
riz1
Trusted User

i agree Morientes is unproven, and that Owen has looked hot in the pre-season but how do you square what is going on with the huge amount of time taken to sort the contract out? Ok granted he might have wanted to wait for GH to go...then he did and we got a reputable guy in place...

then last week he says it is nearly sorted and should be done within a week...
and..etc.

Personally i think the money reportedly offered to him is OTT anyway and if that isnt enough [and what else can it be about other than $$$] then fine

he didnt seem particularly peeved to be on the bench so thoughts that he wants to stay and LFC are forcing him out seem abit wide of the mark to me
Old 11-08-2004, 12:21   #116
balstino
Toothpick & Two Berettas

Maybe Raf was trying to keep Baros happy last night?
Old 11-08-2004, 12:29   #117
Guest 5912
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by balstino
Maybe Raf was trying to keep Baros happy last night?
Baros Didnt really impress me last night TBH. neither did Cisse i think both of them still need time to settle in tho
Old 11-08-2004, 12:31   #118
Deron
PS4 Gamertag: D3RONG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tob
I thought Morientes is 28. Unproven in the Prem and two seasons of top flight football left?

I just don't think Owen is the type of person to hold Liverpool to ransom over a new contract. He has been at the club since he was 11 so to question his loyalty is pretty unfair. Is it so unlikely Liverpool aren't prepared to pay him what he might want for one reason or another? Anyway, I hope they sort it out and he signs a new contract, the Prem is a better league with him in it.
Morientes is class...

He may be unproven in the prem, but he's not unproven in Champions League. We need players at the highest level.

Look at the players Chelsea have bought.

Owen is obviously holding our club to ransom. He wants more than they are willing to give and they are rightly resisting. This has been going on for a year and longer. Remember last year when he said he may consider looking for another club if we didn't get into the Champions League?

We did that, no thanks to him. Now he's still hesitating and holding out.

Where was he last season? He looked lack-lustre and uninterested. How can he think he deserves more money, if he's not doing it on the pitch? He can't even take a decent penalty.

I'm pretty sure he's being offered 80k by Liverpool. That's a lot of money...

If that's not enough for him, then he can sod off...
Old 11-08-2004, 12:33   #119
riz1
Trusted User

true - which could be a problem in the short term. baros in particular was poor [that header he missed was surely a sitter]

i also had the slight reservation on a few occasions last night [esp with baros] that they are somewhat selfish and would rather shoot themselves than setup other people....
Old 11-08-2004, 12:39   #120
Guest 19514
Trusted User

I wouldnt have started owen yesterday regardless of potential transfer.

It was never going to be a hard game, so why not see how cisse and baros do. It does seem that cisse is the number one striker for benitez tho.

As for owen, Id swap him for morientes and 10m because morientes is a better overall player, okay he may be 3 years older, but if strikers are only any good under 25 then all the top 4 are screwed

Had owen signed a contract, I wouldnt sell him because he'd still be a good player for liverpool, but the fact is that he hasnt signed for 18 months, while his agents will have no doubt been looking for the best transfer for him so they can get their pay off.

The problem owen has is that the number of teams he'd possibly want to play for who would want him have diminished. I dont think man utd would want him, or arse, or chelsea now, so that would only leave small teams in england, so that leaves spain and italy.

Moving to spain would only really mean madrid, because every other team would be a step down from liverpool ( possibly barca, but I wouldnt go there ahead of liverpool ) and italian teams are mostly bankrupt.

So basically, its liverpool or madrid, and if he turns down madrid then theres no one any bigger to go to, so he'd be stuck at liverpool
Closed Thread