Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Gadgets and Gizmos > Computing Forum

Old 02-08-2009, 21:35   #321
Toge
North London is red

Came across a very good website for streaming your music over the web - requires your PC to be on, but blimey it works so well!

www.jukefly.com

Using it currently stream all my music from my pc to my laptop whilst I am at uni for a few days

Last edited by Toge; 02-08-2009 at 21:36.
Toge is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked once by:
Guest 5985 (13-04-2010)
Old 12-11-2009, 06:25   #322
driver8
eviscerate your memory

Thanked 2,455 Times in 1,053 Posts
MS has just released Synctoy 2.1, with a whole heap of updates, most notably (afaik) bringing full Windows-7 support, 64-bit support, fixing a NAS drive bug - http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...DisplayLang=en - I'm looking forward to the seeing the speed increases, plus happy to see the 'Dynamic Drive Letter Assignment' update.

As previously, be sure to run any folder pairs on your old install, before upgrading.
Quote:

SyncToy2.1 is powered by the latest synchronization engine from Microsoft Sync Framework 2.0 and provides better performance and robustness.
The new features and improvements included in SyncToy 2.1 release are:
* Better Performance: The speed of file copy operations is significantly increased across the board.
* Improved Robustness: Much more resilient to transient network and file system errors and better error reporting which pin-points which file the sync failed on in case there’s a fatal error that stops the sync.
* Folder pair configuration backup: Folder pair configuration is automatically backed up under %localappdata%\microsoft\synctoy\2.0. User can replace SyncToyDirPairs.bin with the backup copy to resolve last saved configuration.
* Bug Fixes:
o Fixed the data corruption issue when using SyncToy with NAS drives.
o Fixed the issue that prevented uploading files to SharePoint when using SyncToy 2.0.
o Fixed the issue that prevented delete changes from being synchronized when the sync option is set to “Echo”.
o Fixed the UI issue where reported file time were off by the difference between local time and UTC when destination is a FAT volume.

The major new features and improvements included in previous SyncToy 2.0 release are:
* Dynamic Drive Letter Assignment: Drive letter reassignment will now be detected and updated in the folder pair definition.
* True Folder Sync: Folder creates, renames and deletes are now synchronized for all SyncToy actions.
* Exclusion Filtering Based on Name: File exclusion based on name with exact or fuzzy matching.
* Filtering Based on File Attributes: The ability to exclude files based on one or more file attributes (Read-Only, System, Hidden).
* Unattended Folder Pair Execution: Addressed issues related to running scheduled folder pairs while logged off.
* Folder Pairs With Shared Endpoints: Ability for folder pairs associated with the same or different instances of SyncToy to share end-points.
* Command line enhancements: Added the ability to manage folder pairs via the command line interface.
* Re-Architect Sync Engine: The SyncToy engine has been rearchitected to provide scalability and the ability to add significant enhancements in future releases.
* Sync engine is also more robust insomuch that many single, file level errors are skipped without affecting the entire sync operation.
* Sync Encrypted Files: Sync of Encrypted files works when local folder and files are encrypted, which addresses the common scenario involving sync between local, encrypted laptop PC folder and remote, unencrypted desktop PC folder.
* 64-Bit Support: SyncToy now has a native 64-bit build (x64 only) for 64-bit versions of Windows.
* Folder pair rename
* Sub-folder Exclusion Enhancements: Descendents created under excluded sub-folders are automatically excluded. Usability improvements for the sub-folder exclusion dialog.
* Folder Pair Metadata Moved: Folder pair metadata removed from MyDocuments to resolve any issues with server-based folder pair re-direction setup.
* Setup Improvements: Integrated setup with single self-extracting archive file and no extra downloads if you already have .NET Framework 2.0 installed. Enabled silent install for the SyncToy Installer file (see readme.txt file for more information).
driver8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked once by:
VurtHed (08-03-2010)
Old 13-11-2009, 11:03   #323
galthop
Trusted User

That's a happy coincidence, I was just looking for a free sync app for windows 7.
galthop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2010, 12:36   #324
KeyserSoze
Trusted User

Found this cool online tool which converts a PDF into a printable booklet format.

Although my printer has an option to output as a booklet, I don't always want to print a 200 page PDF!!

This allows you to print in smaller batches and then put it together. Really handy!

http://bookletcreator.com/

Last edited by KeyserSoze; 31-03-2010 at 12:57. Reason: forgot to add link doh
KeyserSoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2010, 12:42   #325
vaderag
Gamertag: VaderAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeyserSoze View Post
Found this cool online tool which converts a PDF into a printable booklet format.

Although my printer has an option to output as a booklet, I don't always want to print a 200 page PDF!!

This allows you to print in smaller batches and then put it together. Really handy!
Where is it!?

I would like to add AutoHotkey - couldnt live without it now - use it to stop accidental capslock and insert presses, plus loads of other things including form filling
Old 13-04-2010, 09:57   #326
stu_69
prohibido

Anyone recommend a good remote desktop app? The MS is very limited. I am looking for one to manage multiple connections. I used to use RoyaleTS but I gave up when they started charging.
stu_69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2010, 10:12   #327
driver8
eviscerate your memory

Any of these do the job ?
Old 13-04-2010, 16:50   #328
Dan
Passed away :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by stu_69 View Post
Anyone recommend a good remote desktop app? The MS is very limited. I am looking for one to manage multiple connections. I used to use RoyaleTS but I gave up when they started charging.
I still use VisionApp Remote Desktop version 1.5 as it was free then, now you have to apu for the latest version as the free one only allows you to manage a few connections.
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2010, 22:55   #329
KennyVader
Insomniac

Quote:
It's only €20! And the guy who writes it is always on the support forum answering questions or asking for suggestions on features etc.
KennyVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2010, 09:47   #330
Guest 24656
Banned

Location: Back Home In God's Own County Of Yorkshire, so the yokels tell me any way
Just found a neat little partition extender for the C:

Dell ExtPart
Guest 24656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2010, 17:57   #331
Dan
Passed away :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonmac View Post
Just found a neat little partition extender for the C:

Dell ExtPart
Does that work when Windows is running?
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2010, 09:48   #332
Gerschwin
TicTac in a wheelie bin

Just had Virgin media installed and wanted to check the BB stats over a period of time - this done the job nicely

JD's Automatic Speed Tester
http://dl.adslhelper.co.uk/JDSpeedTester/Web/
Old 23-05-2010, 20:20   #333
Anthony.S
XBL - AnthonyS UK

Quote:
Teamviewer is my current fave.
It is free for personal use and great if you have to provide support for family.
Remote end runs an exe which generates an ID as password and you can use the full version to connect. Very lightweight and fast.

http://www.teamviewer.com/download/index.aspx
Anthony.S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2010, 21:23   #334
vaderag
Gamertag: VaderAG

Is that just like LogMeIn?
Old 23-05-2010, 22:08   #335
KennyVader
Insomniac

Yes Teamviewer is fantastic. It needs someone at the other end to run it to make their PC available for remote connections, but I've managed to guide the most computer-phobic people through the process, then all they have to do is quote the session ID and password that come up on their screen, and I can connect. Can then either fix their problem before their eyes or sometimes I then install logmein over teamviewer (because logmein gives me remote control without needing someone to be at the other pc).
KennyVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2010, 20:23   #336
bbevan
Trusted User

Another vote for Teamviewer, we purchased a license at work we were using it so much. Great for controlling remote computers across the Internet, but if you want to manage multiple RDP connections for servers in your enterprise then it has to be VisionApp Remote Desktop, when the v1.5 stopped working (after the RDP update in XP SP3) we coughed up and have never looked back...
bbevan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 12:02   #337
obidan23
Trusted User

Theres some really good recommendations on here.

Does anyone know of any software that would replicate the Libraries you can have in Win7 on XP or software where you can have say, a virtual drive made up of directories scattered from different drives or locations - a bit like the subst command but pointing to multiple targets?

ie. Say you have MP3's scattered over two drives and would like to see them combined and access them though a single location

Am I making any sense?
obidan23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 15:09   #338
driver8
eviscerate your memory

^ - MS Synctoy ?

SyncToy, a free PowerToy for Microsoft Windows, is an easy to use, highly customizable program that helps users to do the heavy lifting involved with the copying, moving, and synchronization of different directories.

Most common operations can be performed with just a few clicks of the mouse, and additional customization is available without additional complexity. SyncToy can manage multiple sets of folders at the same time; it can combine files from two folders in one case, and mimic renames and deletes in another case.

Unlike other applications, SyncToy actually keeps track of renames to files and will make sure those changes get carried over to the synchronized folder.
Old 04-06-2010, 14:52   #339
obidan23
Trusted User

Thanks driver8, I'll investigate that further.

I actually skipped over the entire description for SyncToy a few posts back, I just presumed it was something to do with ActiveSync.
Old 04-06-2010, 17:45   #340
obidan23
Trusted User

Turns out SyncToy is not really what I was looking for. That creates copies between the two directories, I'm after something that can combine multiple directories or drives into a virtual directory or drive (no copying or syncing) - similar to how the Libraries work in Win7 or junction points pointing to multiple directories/drives.

Quite possible there isn't an app for it, but if anyone knows of one...

Thanks for the suggestion anyway driver8