Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Film Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 04-10-2008, 12:30   #1
Raigmore
Ambassador to Earth

A Cold Night's Death

The early 1970s produced some very interesting TV movies and one of the best of that genre was a spooky little item called A Cold Night's Death (aka The Chill Factor). It is set in an isolated primate research station somewhere in northern Alaska and stars Robert Culp & Eli Wallach. Apart from the first 5 minutes or so, these two are the only human actors throughout the film, even though there is the feeling that someone else is present and watching. A taut, nervy and very atmospheric film, unfortunately no longer shown on TV and not available on DVD. I only have a poor quality VHS and would grab up a DVD-R if the quality is good. Unfortunately, the few that are advertised are 7/10 at best.
Old 05-10-2008, 01:20   #2
Guest 53019
Trusted User

There is no decent A Cold Night's Death DVD-R. They're all from the same VHS master someone taped years ago. It's a great TV movie and deserves a release. It's PD - if I still had my pristine 16mm print, I'd put it out.
Old 05-10-2008, 07:19   #3
Raigmore
Ambassador to Earth

Quote:
Originally Posted by haineshisway View Post
There is no decent A Cold Night's Death DVD-R. They're all from the same VHS master someone taped years ago.
Are you speaking about the UK or the whole world? When I saw it on TV in the late 1980s, the print looked quite good, but - as you -say - the VHS that I bought off a US dealer is very poor quality. To be fair, the seller had repeatedly told me that the quality was fair at best but I wanted at least one copy of the film. But having moved on now, I am looking for a better - much better - DVD copy of it from anywhere in the world and am willing to pay any reasonable price for it.
Old 05-10-2008, 07:27   #4
DanWilde1966
I no longer post here.

Seems to be here: REMOVED

But I guess that's from the TV showing.

Last edited by Bish; 05-10-2008 at 10:32. Reason: Please do not link to sites selling bootleg DVDs
Old 05-10-2008, 07:47   #5
Raigmore
Ambassador to Earth

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanWilde1966 View Post
Seems to be here:

But I guess that's from the TV showing.
I sent this guy an e-mail yesterday and am still waiting for a reply. But looking at the caption picture, I strongly suspect that he has also advertised on iOffer and quoted the video quality as 7/10. The other iOffers for the film are similar or slightly more suspect.

But as I said, the TV showing in the UK in the 80s was much better and if someone has retained a good VHS tape, I am hoping that they will prepare a good DVD-R transfer.
Old 05-10-2008, 07:54   #6
Guest 53019
Trusted User

I'm sure the TV showing was fine, as it was off a print. These guys selling the VHS (and in turn the DVD-R made from the VHS) are very much mistaken if they say it's a seven out of ten - it's maybe a four out of ten, IMO. These things are probably even five or ten generations away from whoever originally had the VHS that all these are coming from. And I'm talking about the UK and US sellers. However, in the US we've gotten decent transfers of a couple of classic 70s TV movies, Isn't It Shocking and Pursuit, so I'm hoping someone puts out a decent A Cold Night's Death, along with a couple of other favorites.
Old 05-10-2008, 08:39   #7
Raigmore
Ambassador to Earth

Quote:
Originally Posted by haineshisway View Post
However, in the US we've gotten decent transfers of a couple of classic 70s TV movies, Isn't It Shocking and Pursuit.
I have a 8/10 DVD-R pd Isn't It Shocking? and a good NTSC VHS pf Pursuit. But some of the best DVD-Rs were prepared by a guy in Bristol - I think he called himself DVD Madess or something. I have some really good DVD-Rs (9+/10) of The Twilight Zone: The Movie, From Beyond the Grave and a few others that I bought off him years ago complete with good cover and disc art and these work very well. In fact, The Time Tunnel series that he sent me was so good that I did not spend more money on the official release when it finally came out. But the Bristol guy seems to have disappeared into The Twilight Zone.

There are some good DVD-R makers across the pond, but they have a relatively narrow field and restrict themselves to popular classics. Randy Miller of eMoviez is one of them; I have heard good reports about Learmedia from Moose Jaw in Sasketchwan, Canada and have asked them for more info on their DVD-R of State Secret.

Last edited by Raigmore; 05-10-2008 at 08:40.
Old 05-10-2008, 10:05   #8
Livius
Is it far?

I may be wrong, but I thought discussing bootlegs and their sources was frowned upon on these forums.
Old 05-10-2008, 10:31   #9
Bish

Please do not discuss how to obtain bootleg films.

Closing.
Closed Thread