Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Gadgets and Gizmos > Home Entertainment Hardware forum

Old 08-03-2004, 14:05   #1
forum
Trusted User

Subwoofer Placement (is this right?)

I have upgraded from an ancient Pro-Logic set up to a Dolby Digital set-up. I'm using a budget Pioneer amp and Yamaha (NSP-100) speakers.

The Yamaha speakers came with a subwoofer and I'd never really used one before with my Pro-Logic set up. I was thinking of going without it because there isn't really any space to put it. But after testing it out my sister said that it MUST stay. It was just a matter of finding out where it ought to stay. My father suggested behind the sofa, but the lead isn't long enough to reach the amp. There isn't really any space on the floor without someone tripping up over it. So the decision was made to place it on the shelf, about just under 1 metre above the floor, between the left and right speakers.

I'd just like to know if this is considered acceptable, since most people tend to have them on the floor. It sounds okay enough to me, and thankfully the shelf doesn't vibrate. But I can't help but think that maybe placing it above the floor is wrong.
forum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2004, 16:15   #2
Guest 35758
Rinky Dink Panther

Believe it or not, the optimum theoretical position for many subs can be part of the way up the wall - in practice this simply isn't achievable because of the size/weight of the things - even if you put it on a really solid stand, it might vibrate itself off!

However, if it sounds good where it is and the shelf doesn't vibrate (I'm amazed it doesn't to be honest) then don't worry about it.

Matt.
Guest 35758 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2004, 20:40   #3
forum
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally posted by Mattie F
However, if it sounds good where it is and the shelf doesn't vibrate (I'm amazed it doesn't to be honest) then don't worry about it.

Matt.
Thank you.

It's a small set-up in a small-ish room, so I haven't really found myself pushing the sub to full whack, which would probably explain why it doesn't really vibrate... yet.

forum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2004, 08:17   #4
LV426
Trusted User

The vagaries of room acoustics, and low-frequency sound radiation mean that there really is no one ideal solution that fits all cases.

The correct position for a subwoofer is wherever it sounds best; simple as that. If you have to compromise on this due to other furnishings, cable lengths or simple tidiness, then so be it.

I could tell you that, after some experimentation, I found the best place for mine to be at the rear of the room, in a corner, behind the sofa. But it would be wholly wrong for you to interpret that as being the best place for yours.
LV426 is offline   Reply With Quote