Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Gadgets and Gizmos > Computing Forum

Old 05-08-2007, 16:18   #281
Guest 23929
Xbox - KaRW/ PSN KaRW1

Anyone ever got weird popups from some site that usually starts with CiD in the URL? Its a bit like that CWS thing, but opens in a seperate window and links to a random site? Tried the usual AVG/ Adawar things and they dont seem to work.

If you google 'CiD' you get lots of links to places that claim to get rid of the CiD virus, anyone know if any of them are any good?

And here's a link to another forum that might have some useful info for anyone with my problem.

http://forums.computeractive.co.uk/t...art=0&tstart=0

It seems that this CiD is something that is often bundled with other software you download but doesnt always announce itself. There's an uninstaller link on this page that seems like it might have worked. See the instructions on number 4 of the licence agreement.

Link removed because it doesnt work and is dodgy!

Thought it was odd because the pages it linked to weren't the usual 'V1AGRAxxx' or 'You have a virus please pay is Ł20' type pages, it was all quite reputable companies and charities. Oh well, mystery solved.

UPDATE

Not quite mystery solved as it keeps happening seems the uninstall thing is dodgy in itself and keeps re-installing it. From reading other forums, this is something called 'Adware.Lop'. Anyone have any ideas?

ANOTHER UPDATE

Right, ignore what other forums might say about running the uninstall thing that I foolishly included a link to - that simply tries to hijack your browser and homepage, but it cant be very sophisticated because Google is my homepage and Google wouldnt allow itself to be changed. When you run it, it asks you to enter a number and the whole thing looks generally dodgy. Eventually, I found this thing (below), ran it, and it found 2 Adware.Lop things and removed them, so, touch wood, I won't need to come in here again for a while *hopes*

Super antispyware (free edition)

http://www.snapfiles.com/opinions/Su...i-Spyware.html

Last edited by KRW; 06-08-2007 at 22:33.
Guest 23929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2007, 18:44   #282
JOV
By Royal Appointment

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris21 View Post
How come everytime I use spybot it finds and deletes problems? They keep coming back.
It could be set to run on start up - normally run a dll as an exe.

Try msconfig from the run commandd or try CCleaner as that allows you to change what runs at start up.

If you know the process in task manager you could try deleting the process and rerunning the spyware
JOV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2007, 08:34   #283
Chris Locke
Making a 1% improvement

Thanked 1,683 Times in 563 Posts
Also, Spybot finds registry trackers from websites - essentially just cookies. Harmless in one way (in that they don't do anything) but nasty in another (oooh, they can track what page on a specific website you visited). Unless its a problem "program", then it can be ignored.
Chris Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 05:12   #284
Guest 58780
Banned

Update to HijackThis [v2.0.2] -much smaller file and you'll need to update shortcuts if you have them around your PC.

http://www.trendsecure.com/portal/en...ols/hijackthis

Update to Cleaner (1 October)

www.ccleaner.com (make sure you untick all that webcrap if you don't want it (Google toolbar etc)
Guest 58780 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 17:50   #285
Mr Silly
wandering and wondering

I've got a small flashing triangle appearing in my toolbar telling me I have this and that virus and worm. I know its not from microsoft or anywhere official as the spelling is terrible.

I have run everything I can think off, but its still appearing.

Any ideas?
Old 15-11-2007, 22:16   #286
Mr Silly
wandering and wondering

The problem with most of these links is that they're free to scan your system, but you then have to pay to have them delete the errors they find
Old 15-11-2007, 23:38   #287
liamail
stop staring at my knob

Mr Silly - what software is scanning your system? It's usually malware that gives false positives and then requires a payment to "clean" your system.
liamail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2007, 07:48   #288
Mr Silly
wandering and wondering

Quote:
Originally Posted by liamail View Post
Mr Silly - what software is scanning your system? It's usually malware that gives false positives and then requires a payment to "clean" your system.
I've got rid of some software I downloaded to sort it. Now using
Avast Virus as I have been for a few years
Ad-aware
Spy-bot Search and destroy - installed last night

I also deleted a load of cookies from firefox as that had become unstable too. Working ok now, but not as good as before
Old 25-11-2007, 11:44   #289
Mr Silly
wandering and wondering

After running spybot search n destroy, I select the option to delete

a minute or two later, I get the message from spybot
"Entry: Spybot deleting B2348"
Plus other details

Now is this spybot deleting the entries as it should or is it something interfering with it deleting the entries? Seems odd that it should flag its own deletion

Any help more than welcome
Thanks
Old 29-12-2007, 04:37   #290
chris21
DVD Forums Veteran

I have..

Trojan.activesecurity
Trojan.popuper
Rogueantispyware.Virusprotect_Pro

Is there any free way to get rid of these? I'm not being a tight arse it's just that I don't have a credit card!

Thank you.

Edit - Am I safe to check my bank account online? That sort of thing?

Last edited by chris21; 29-12-2007 at 05:09.
chris21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2007, 07:45   #291
Mr Silly
wandering and wondering

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris21 View Post
I have..

Trojan.activesecurity
Trojan.popuper
Rogueantispyware.Virusprotect_Pro

Is there any free way to get rid of these? I'm not being a tight arse it's just that I don't have a credit card!

Thank you.

Edit - Am I safe to check my bank account online? That sort of thing?
I'd play it safe and check the account online. As for the rest, run the normal (spybot and adaware). For those remaining, google their names and you may find some hints
Old 21-01-2008, 13:53   #292
Guest 2405
Trusted User

When trying to upgrade Norton to a newer verion and for next licence period I get a msg about a missing msi file. It will not uninstall the old Norton at all... The fix from Symantic is to upgrade, which does not work... The msi file on the original install disk says its the 'wrong volume'...

is my only option to rebuild ?

Last edited by Muz; 21-01-2008 at 13:53.
Guest 2405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2008, 10:04   #293
Guest 23929
Xbox - KaRW/ PSN KaRW1

Back here again anyone got any experience getting rid of Fotomoto trojan? I've tried the usual things, Superantispyware, Spybot and so on in safe mode and they still won't get shot of it.
Old 24-01-2008, 19:29   #294
Peter2004
Trusted User

Hi all, anyone removed the Zlob trojan before? Did a search but couldn't see anything.

I've run HJ This, but the log didn't bring up anything of interest. Run AVG, Spybot etc and they quaranteened a few things but it's still there. Trying Spyware Blaster and A-Squared now, but wondered if anyone had any recommendations?
Peter2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2008, 21:47   #295
Guest 23929
Xbox - KaRW/ PSN KaRW1

Super AntiSpyware (see post 281) is pretty good. Using it slowly to kill Motofoto, which it seems to be battling quite well. Download and run it in safe mode - its killed things Sybot could see, but not do anything with.

EDIT - if anyone else is daft enough to get motofoto/win32, disconnect from the internet entirely, then run spybot, then superantispyware in safe mode. SAS will then reboot, once you've reboot-en, connect to the internet for the SAS update (the main screen has a button to press for 'check for updates'), then disconnect and run it again in safe mode, allow to reboot and it *should* be OK).

Last edited by KRW; 24-01-2008 at 23:57.
Old 15-02-2008, 02:30   #296
Guest 13289
Spoon Archivist

Location: Where the streets have no name - because of vandalism...
Does anybody know anything about the spyware/malware virus called Storage Protector?

It brings up fake critical errors that claim to come from Microsoft.

I've found some info around the web, like the following site which details removal instructions (killing processes, registry keys, etc) - http://www.411-spyware.com/remove-storageprotector

Thing is, I can't find any of these registry keys, etc in my laptop. I can't find any trace of the damned thing.

I've tried seven different types of spyware removal softwares, and they can't detect it.

It's driving me crazy, keeps slowing down my laptop and making it freeze, etc!
Guest 13289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2008, 07:52   #297
brendonw
Xbox Live-BrendonDoubleU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muz View Post
When trying to upgrade Norton to a newer verion and for next licence period I get a msg about a missing msi file. It will not uninstall the old Norton at all... The fix from Symantic is to upgrade, which does not work... The msi file on the original install disk says its the 'wrong volume'...

is my only option to rebuild ?
There is a remove program for all norton products you can download from their website. Are you able to use this and then install the original and then upgrade to the next version you have ?
brendonw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2008, 14:31   #298
Guest 26392
Banned

SuperAntiSpyware is damn good - cured a nasty trojan in Feb that no other freeware would budge.
Guest 26392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 10:27   #299
TheDot
Space Monkey

Guessing this has been covered quite a few times but what would anyone recommend as the best free anti-virus software?
TheDot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 10:33   #300
dunkle
Trusted User

As far as Vista is concerned do the recomendations on front page still stand ?
dunkle is offline   Reply With Quote