Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Gadgets and Gizmos > Computing Forum

Old 21-02-2006, 17:06   #241
Guest 55982
brown rhino

Smile Malicious software remover

I've just ran Microsoft's Defender Beta 2 (again) and it couldn't find any thing, I also noticed their "Malicious software remover". I've had a go with that and that also says it found nothing. I'll keep on plodding away and if I find anything, I'll let you know. This forum has been a great help for me though. Cheers guys.
Guest 55982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2006, 18:20   #242
PlexShaw
XBL/PSN/iOS: PlexShaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven.brown487
Yeah, I've been using the free virus scan at Avast. There files it can't scan which is the first time I've come across that. No doubt it's all related. I've only had a pc for 8 months and since I've not come across spyware before I've absolutely no idea how to deal with it. I'm counting myself lucky my system isn't as bad as it could be. I'm also using Norton Antivirus.
You aren't running to anti-virus programs at once are you? That's a staggeringly bad idea and one that is likely to create more problems than it solves, particularly considering one of them is Norton, easily one of the worst AV programs out there IMO.

Spyware is actually a much more common problem than you might think. Most PCs are infested with it, and their ignorant users have no idea there is a problem. They think it's perfectly normal to have that many pop-ups and extra toolbars when using Internet Explorer.

I use Ad-Aware SE, Spybot, SpywareBlaster (which blocks spyware from ever installing) and a modified Hosts file (although I'd leave that alone if I were you). Oh, and Firefox/Opera...
Quote:
I've just ran Microsoft's Defender Beta 2 (again) and it couldn't find any thing, I also noticed their "Malicious software remover". I've had a go with that and that also says it found nothing. I'll keep on plodding away and if I find anything, I'll let you know. This forum has been a great help for me though. Cheers guys.
The Malicious Software Removal tool from MS only targets specific, often high-profile viruses that are likely to have affected a larger than average percentage of users. It is highly unlikely that the problem you are suffering from would be one of those detected by the tool.

Last edited by PlexShaw; 21-02-2006 at 18:23.
PlexShaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2006, 18:40   #243
Guest 55982
brown rhino

Cheers plexshaw. Actually, I've just updated with Google and it's given me a brand new homepage-"Mozilla Firefox". A far better homepage than my original. It also goes straight to it when I press the web/home button on my keyboard whereas before it kept going to "Spycentre" homepage. As for running too many virus, spyware jobbies, I'm running Ad-Watch and Spyguard together with Norton running too. I have Spybot on my desktop which I'll use every few days. I don't think Spybot runs in the background like the others...does it? Is that too many things to be running? If anyone is having trouble with a "highjacked" homepage like I was and can update with Google, it sorted half of my troubles out so give it a go. Cheers guys once again.
Old 21-02-2006, 19:54   #244
PlexShaw

Quote:
Cheers plexshaw. Actually, I've just updated with Google and it's given me a brand new homepage-"Mozilla Firefox". A far better homepage than my original. It also goes straight to it when I press the web/home button on my keyboard whereas before it kept going to "Spycentre" homepage. As for running too many virus, spyware jobbies, I'm running Ad-Watch and Spyguard together with Norton running too. I have Spybot on my desktop which I'll use every few days. I don't think Spybot runs in the background like the others...does it? Is that too many things to be running? If anyone is having trouble with a "highjacked" homepage like I was and can update with Google, it sorted half of my troubles out so give it a go. Cheers guys once again.
Mozilla Firefox is not a "homepage" - it's a web browser (a piece of software that allows you to access the internet). There's a world of difference in their meaning.

By Google, I assume you are referring to the Google Pack thing that is currently at the beta stage. I would give Norton and RealPlayer (which some regard as spyware) as miss personally, and the rest of the software can just as easily be obtained from their respective websites.

Spybot doesn't run in the background, but IMO this is a good thing as I see little point in wasting CPU cycles on something that can just as easily be avoided by using common sense (as well as not using Internet Explorer - MS's own web browser).

I'm happy that you at least seem to be making some headway with solving this problem. Let us know if you have any further queries.
Old 25-02-2006, 15:28   #245
Guest 55982
brown rhino

avast virus scan

After running the free Avast virus scan it found 2 files that couldn't be scanned. I've mentioned earlier that this was odd. The files are written down here.
Anybody any ideas why they can't be scanned?
Is it to do with the Spyware problems that I've mentioned earlier?
I tried to delete them (with the idea to restore them from my recycle bin if my pc wouldn't function right without them) but I couldn't delete them.
The files are as follows;
C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Local Settings\Temp\hsperfdata_Administrator\3440
and
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\CCPD-LC\symlcrst.dll

Any help boys and girls?
Old 25-02-2006, 16:04   #246
PlexShaw

Are you running both Avast Antivirus and Norton Antivirus on the same computer? If so, you're going to need to uninstall one of them as it is a really, really bad idea to run two antivirus programs at the same time (which is what both will be doing regardless of whether you launch their user interface).

Quote:
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\CCPD-LC\symlcrst.dll
This file is part of Norton Antivirus, so it is fine.

Not sure about the other one.

Last edited by PlexShaw; 25-02-2006 at 16:06.
Old 25-02-2006, 16:36   #247
Guest 55982
brown rhino

Hi PlexShaw. I'm running Norton all the time because that's the one I have on my computer. The Avast scan I use is from Avast .com. They have a free virus cleaner that I use every now and again. You actually have to go onto their website to use it and it only runs once. However, you know far more (a damn sight more really) than me, do I turn Norton off when scanning?

Cheers for looking in too bud.
Old 28-02-2006, 14:07   #248
Guest 55982
brown rhino

seems as though problem solved.

Anyone having problems like me? I've finally got rid. I unplugged my modem, turned my pc on in safe mode, ran a Spy-Bot search and destroy, ran an Ad-Watch scan then restarted my pc, still unplugged from my modem then plugged the modem in when restarted back in normal mode. Touch wood, I've not had one pop up, website direction notice, pretend drive C:\ deletion window, etc etc etc.
Old 28-02-2006, 14:18   #249
PlexShaw

Ahh... the old "boot into Safe Mode and scan" technique. Why didn't I think of suggesting that earlier?

Glad you got it sorted.
Old 06-03-2006, 11:18   #250
Guest 55982
brown rhino

Hello again. Not my pc this time, but a pals. He's been having the same problems as me and I sorted him out with the same solution that fixed mine. Well, kinda. Two of the problems that his Spybot search and destroy found were "Windows Security Center-AntiVirusDisableNotify" and "Windows Security Center-FirewallDisableNotify"

I was very wary of deleting these with Spybot as they sounded genuine (if you know what I mean) but then again why would they be listed as problems?

The trouble he had wasn't just spyware but he ran a massive phone bill (he's on broadband) and the phone company told him that it was a premium website that had caused it. Do those problems sound like the cause? He's bricking himself in case he gets another big bill (Ł300 for the month!!!)
Old 06-03-2006, 12:17   #251
Alan b
Administrator

Thanked 1,285 Times in 581 Posts
Quote:
The trouble he had wasn't just spyware but he ran a massive phone bill (he's on broadband)
The only way that could happen is if he has his modem plugged into the phone line, as he is on broadband then there isn't any need for him to have this plugged in like this. It sounds as if he has a rogue dialler program on his computer somewhere.
Alan b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 12:43   #252
PlexShaw

Quote:
Two of the problems that his Spybot search and destroy found were "Windows Security Center-AntiVirusDisableNotify" and "Windows Security Center-FirewallDisableNotify"

I was very wary of deleting these with Spybot as they sounded genuine (if you know what I mean) but then again why would they be listed as problems?
It basically means that the user (or a bit of rouge software) has disabled the notifications (which would appear in the system tray) that the Windows Security Center issues about the installed anti-virus software definitions being not up to date and the Windows Firewall being turned off (respectively).

Using Spybot to fix both entries would turn the notifications back on. In the case of the firewall, it may be turned off because he/she is using a third-party firewall (Norton, Zone Alarm or whatever). It would be best to go into the Windows Security Center (accessible from the Control Panel) and check the settings there before you let Spybot do anything.

Last edited by PlexShaw; 06-03-2006 at 12:44.
Old 06-03-2006, 22:20   #253
Guest 55982
brown rhino

Will do bud. Cheers once again.
Old 11-03-2006, 23:58   #254
Guest 34376
Trusted User

Which is the best freeware spyware guard/remover ?

Thanks
Guest 34376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 00:50   #255
Guest 3999
Got Hr0n?

i recently used a new one (ewido or called something similar) and it found the source of the dialler and deleted it, evene though i couldnt from windows. the exe was wingsa32.dll and i tried to unregister it/etc and couldnt delete it, this ewido found it (and another one) and deleted them both.

so worth a shot as its new from all accounts and i am impressed as norton found the diallers but not this, Spyware S&D dcouldnt find it, and one or two other apps didnt see this file.
Guest 3999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 09:01   #256
Jimmyboy
^__^

I just found a winantiviruspro2006 tracking cookie in spybot. It's a know rouge which produces pop ups and tells you you're anti virus software is out of date and you need to register for updates. The pops up aren't happening to me and I can't find anything other than a tracking cookie. I deleted the cookie and it's come back clean in spybot but is it safe just to assume the spyware isn't on the pc but I just picked up a tracking cookie from a website?
Jimmyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2006, 00:20   #257
Guest 28750
What the BBFC Ban, I Buy

Can anyone help me with the 'Cowabanga' thing that going around, tried a few online Scans, Spybot, and Adware but it doesn't come up, is there a program out there that removes it? at an hour and half a Scan i'm pulling my hair out.

Thanks People
Guest 28750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2006, 00:42   #258
Guest 943
Banned

Just spent the better part of the day getting rid of Virtumondo. God, what a pain in the arse that was. The usual fixes (Virtufix, FXVirtu, VirtumondoBeGone) didn't work. Had to manually go through explorer and winlogon using Process Explorer to kill the damn things, then use HijackThis and Killbox to rid my PC of the nasties. Damn thing started trying to install dialers, too (this was after it wasn't getting past my Nod32). MSDOS windows started popping up (win428.tmp.exe) - oh, what fun.

I feel dirty now. Haven't had anything like that in 6 years. By the way, it was my son's fault. He's now banned from my PC. He can infect his own.
Guest 943 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 11:52   #259
Guest 28750
What the BBFC Ban, I Buy

Hello again guys, has anyone used any products from spywareremove.com ? i've found a program that might help me but dont know anything about the site
Guest 28750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 19:40   #260
Mr Silly
wandering and wondering

Just out of interest, how uptodate is the 1st post in this thread? Dan did a great job, but just wondering if it needs updating?
Mr Silly is offline   Reply With Quote