Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Gadgets and Gizmos > Home Entertainment Hardware forum

Old 20-10-2003, 12:20   #1
Guest 788
Rail Jocky

Twin Satelite Wall Sockets

Having had my Sky+ installed I would like to tidy the hole in the wall left by the installer.

I want a wall socket that has two satelite connectors. I've found several that have 1 RHF and 1 Satelite or two RHF but not 2 Satelite. I'm sure someone has linked to them on here before but as with all things you can never find it when you want it.

Help please.

TIA

Dave
Guest 788 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2003, 15:40   #2
Lee Brown
The Kraken Awakes!

You mean like this one at Maplin?
Lee Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2003, 11:54   #3
Guest 788
Rail Jocky

Thank You!
Old 21-10-2003, 21:51   #4
HenryKrinkle
Clean, like my conscience

Why do you need 2 outlets...and doesn't the signal degrade if you use these connectors, I always believed it was best to have no breaks in the cable from the dish to the box?!

...I'm interested in your reply as I would consider one of these
HenryKrinkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2003, 16:22   #5
Guest 1137
Forum's Pet Cow

Quote:
Originally posted by HenryKrinkle
Why do you need 2 outlets...and doesn't the signal degrade if you use these connectors, I always believed it was best to have no breaks in the cable from the dish to the box?!

...I'm interested in your reply as I would consider one of these
The two is because the Sky + box takes two feeds from the dish, so two wires.

And I also was of the opinion that you should never cut a sat wire, that it had to be a straight run. I would be interested in this, as the sod who installed mine left only 1.5 meters of wires inside, and the missus wants to move the TV.

G
Guest 1137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2003, 12:12   #6
Guest 788
Rail Jocky

HenryKrinkle - I need two outlets because I have just had Sky+ installed and that uses two co-ax cables (or a twin cable) to provide the two feeds needed to watch one chanel and record a second.

Henry Krinkle & Gertrude - you're probably right about cutting the cable but, as with Gertrude's installation, I think I got whatever cable was left on the roll. After the guy had run the new cable along my guttering, down the corner of the house and in through the wall, I guess he couldn't be bothered to re-run it once he found out he only just had enough to reach the Digibox. So he pulled the TV unit closer to the cable and forced it to fit. What he didn't notice was that he just about ripped the Bananna plugs out of my Amp

Anyway, I've cut the cable, fitted the socket, made up two new cables to run from the socket to the Digibox and the Signal strength/quality is exactly the same as it was before. I can move my TV unit without destroying my Amp and the hole he left in the wall where the cable came in looks a lot better as a mounted connector plate than it ever did as a hole

Last edited by Dave L; 28-10-2003 at 12:17.
Old 28-10-2003, 12:32   #7
galthop
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally posted by gertrude
The two is because the Sky + box takes two feeds from the dish, so two wires.

And I also was of the opinion that you should never cut a sat wire, that it had to be a straight run. I would be interested in this, as the sod who installed mine left only 1.5 meters of wires inside, and the missus wants to move the TV.

G
You can get sat cables from B&Q in various lengths, you should be able to replace the one that you have got with a longer one without cutting it.
galthop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2003, 14:16   #8
Guest 13045
Solved IT!

Worth knowing though, if you use the same for the TV Aerial coax points coming OUT of Sky to say, your bedroom, and you want to use a Sky Link, it probably won't work.
Guest 13045 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2003, 16:51   #9
Guest 1137
Forum's Pet Cow

Quote:
Originally posted by galthop
You can get sat cables from B&Q in various lengths, you should be able to replace the one that you have got with a longer one without cutting it.
Yeah, I actually have a load of CT100 wire spare, but I can't be arse climing a lader to change the wire!!! And apart from that, I don't have the tape to put round the conection on the LNB, so, stuff it, I'll try joining them since Dave has had no trouble doing so.

G
Old 29-10-2003, 12:35   #10
Guest 788
Rail Jocky

Gertrude,

The leads from B&Q are extensions leads rather than replacement leads so you just tack them onto the orginal lead. I used to use this method when I only had one feed coming in but decided to use the socket, once Sky+ had been fitted. As I mentioned before it also inproves the look of the wall where the cable(s) come into the house.
Old 29-10-2003, 15:23   #11
Guest 1137
Forum's Pet Cow

Sweet, cheers Dave. I'll go and buy them keep them safe. If I say that I have them this will be interpreted as "let's change the living room round"!!!!!! Let's not.

G