Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Film Discussion

Old 07-06-2020, 07:52   #2261
Wowbagger
Don't tell him, Pike

Les Miserables. I'm not a fan of musicals in which the dialogue is sung, and Evita remains to this day one of the most excruciating experiences my senses have endured; every time I woke up I they were still droning, but I was on a date and couldn't escape. This was much better, but I had to pause it when Redmayne and Seyfried get all drippy (about halfway through) and couldn't find a good enough reason to unpause it. I watched the BBC adaptation last year so I know how it ends. In its defence, Crowe's shouting wasn't as bad as expected.

Steamboat Bill Jr. One of those instances when I put on an old (ancient) classic and realise to my surprise that I haven't actually seen it before. Rightly famous for the incredible and death-defying stunts, but I thought the funniest scene was the one in which Buster Keaton was trying on hats, which had me leaking quite profusely.

Parasite. The rare (probably only) occasion on which the Academies and I were in complete agreement. No doubt they'll revert to form at the next shindig by heaping accolades on dismal tripe like Birds of Prey. The 4k disc is a beaut.
Wowbagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 14:22   #2262
fivebyfive
Leave means lies

Thanked 1,110 Times in 499 Posts
Rise of skywalker

2nd time its worse, at the cinema on the big screen and sound it makes a little better. Also 2nd time you really notice how lazy its written. Not as bad as last jedi

Fresh meat
not the tv series, NZ light hearted horror. Temuera Morrison really chews the scenery. Its fun horror film that does not take it self serious

Last Christmas

Didn't know it was paul feig "comedy" film and its not very good, awful characters. Poor Emilia Clarke looks like she is 10 years older and no chemistry with her co-star

Quote:
David Fear of Rolling Stone described the film as "incredibly, shockingly, monumentally bad. The kind of bad that falls somewhere between finding a lump of coal in your stocking and discovering one painfully lodged in your rectum.
Old 07-06-2020, 15:00   #2263
Spaceranger2001
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by fivebyfive View Post

Last Christmas

Didn't know it was paul feig "comedy" film and its not very good, awful characters. Poor Emilia Clarke looks like she is 10 years older and no chemistry with her co-star
Perhaps the 4hr director's cut will fix this
Spaceranger2001 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 18:52   #2264
Wowbagger
Don't tell him, Pike

Mad Max - Fury Road. I didn't like this at all on release, probably because my expectations were sky-high; after a few viewings I've warmed to it, up to a point. It looks great and the action delivers but... eugh, Hardy as Max scuppers it. He projects all his lines - all of which are forgettable - to a point six inches in front of his face, and as a result makes no impression at all. He barely registers as a supporting player in his own film. You could call this 'Fury Road', edit him out, and lose nothing at all.

Wall-E. Genius animators make a wonderfully expressive and human (the better bits thereof) character out of a mostly mute box with eyes. The first half's better simply because none of the humans are as interesting as the two bots, and it devolves into the usual Pixar final act of 'everyone running round yelling'. I'd forgotten the recently late and always funny Fred Willard was in it too.

Ratatouille. I think this is my favourite Pixar - currently, anyway. The absence of cute characters makes it a more grown-up affair, and the art work is superb. I've always considered it Pixar's best looking (with Wall-E's earth segment a close second). This and Wall-E absolutely wipe the floor with everything the studio has done since (excepting the start of Up, the whole of Toy Story 3, and Coco).
Thanked 2 times by:
Andyneilg (12-06-2020), driver8 (12-06-2020)
Old 13-06-2020, 10:10   #2265
fivebyfive
Leave means lies

vivarium

Small film that most people will miss and is a good horror film but more physiological horror on the 2 main cast members. The kid is creep AF. The cgi of the rows of houses near the start is not good but it easy to overlook that as its small budget film. jesse eisenberg is just himself but imogen poots is good

Le mans 66 aka ford vs Ferrari

saw most of it on the plane in the days you could travel on planes (the before times) but it was long haul flight and feel asleep on the way back. Such a good film, Bale's accent is a little weird but its a really great film. Of course the twitter hate mob hated it "as its not a diverse film" ffs its based on real events and people but facts hurts their safe space "brains"

Game night

remember the 1st time saw it and it was ok but 2nd time its just horrible standard MS wizard templated film, like a machine generated it
ascender (04-07-2020)
Old 16-06-2020, 10:53   #2266
aprout
worn to perfection

Location: Come out to the coast, we'll get together, have a few laughs
Bug - An earthquake releases giant pyromaniac cockroaches on an unsuspecting Californian town. Only entomologist (or possibly high school science teacher) Bradford Tillman can stop them! Alas, once they kill his wife, our hero decides he doesn't want to kill them, but keep them alive & torture them instead. Driven mad by his obsession, he eventually starts crossbreeding them to create a new species. What could possibly go wrong? Written & produced by the legendary William Castle, it's full of rubbish acting, cheesy effects & gross close-ups of cockroaches going about their disgusting daily business. & let's not even mention the complete 'WTF?' of an ending. Kinda terrible, but also kinda fun if you're in the right mood.

Da 5 Bloods - Spike Lee's latest finds four ageing Vietnam veterans returning to the country to find the remains of a fallen comrade, confront their demons & oh yeah, bring back millions of dollars in gold they buried 50 years previously. Naturally, once they get in country, things do not go as planned. There are solid performances from all the leads, with Delroy Lindo dominating & getting to go into Full Actor Mode in a number of scenes, some beautiful cinematography in multiple aspect ratios & a couple of decent action scenes. On the downside, at just over two and a half hours it's a bit too long, the score is quite OTT at times, the Black History Lessons occasionally feel a little forced & cameoing Jean Reno seems to have based his performance on Sidney Greenstreet from Casablanca. The decision to have the same actors play themselves in the war flashbacks with no effort to make them look younger is a little odd too. Not brilliant, but well worth a watch.

Artemis Fowl - Kenneth Branagh directs this adaptation of the YA book series in which a smug, unlikeable child genius tries to get his kidnapped dad back by starting a war with the fairy realms & a young, disgraced Elf cop sets out to stop him. I've never read the books, so I've no idea how faithful any of this is, but given their popularity I imagine not very. There's only one remotely likeable character (the elf cop), & at no point did I empathise or sympathise with our 'hero', who seems quite happy to kidnap & murder elves rather than, oh I don't know, talking to them? & when he proclaims himself 'A Criminal Mastermind' for no apparent reason at the end of the film, I found myself shouting "oh **** off!' at the screen.

Meanwhile, Josh Gad turns up dressed as Hagrid from Harry Potter, seemingly only to remind you that this kids fantasy franchise isn't going to be anywhere near as good as that one. Judi Dench is a gruff Elf police chief & clearly has learned nothing from Cats when it comes to picking roles. A troll from the Warcraft movie pops in occasionally to smash stuff up.

It's not completely terrible - the production design is nice, the score is quite lively & some of the effects are fairly decent - but it's a total mess. At just over 90 minutes, with little or no character development, choppy editing & a nonsensical ending (& where exactly is Colin Farrell sitting in that helicopter?), it feels like a much longer film has been cut down just to get it over with. Oh, & it also contains the most inexplicable & stupid 'enemies decide to team up' scene since the infamous 'Martha' scene in Batman vs Superman. Unless you're a curious fan of the books, skip it.
aprout is online now   Reply With Quote
Thanked 3 times by:
ascender (04-07-2020), driver8 (16-06-2020), dvdphile (16-06-2020)
Old 16-06-2020, 14:14   #2267
Wowbagger
Don't tell him, Pike

Swimming With Men. One of those little British films you stumble across when you're browsing a streaming service looking for anything you haven't seen yet, recognise all the names in the cast from tv, and think 'Oh, I'll give it a look'. It's also the kind of little film that would only get a dvd release then completely disappear if it wasn't for streaming services (the only blu-ray is German, I think). It's nothing special to be fair, but watchable enough unless the premise of a bored Rob Brydon swimming in synch really turns you off; with a bit more 'oomph' it could have easily been touted as the new Full Monty. But it didn't have that, so it wasn't.

Leave No Trace. Gaining traction as one of the must-sees of recent years; so now people like me (who bought the disc) can tell the friends they've been nagging to watch it that they have no excuse not to, now that it's on Netflix. I never used to like Ben Foster but after this my opinion of him skyrocketed, and Thomasin Harcourt-Mackenzie as his teenage daughter is sensational. I've seen it a few times now, and perhaps it was the mood I was in for this latest viewing, but it absolutely floored me. I'm listening to the end credit song as I type and I already want to watch it again (a song, incidentally, sung by a musician who went off-grid in the 90s and has been living in a forest ever since).

The Program. I finally decided to ignore the American spelling, mainly because it's on Prime and has Ben Foster in it. I was vaguely aware of Lance Armstrong as some sort of athlete in some scandal or other (I don't have much time for sport) and was rather taken aback at the scale of this bicyclist's capacity for cheating and the hypocrisy of those who allowed him to get away with it for so long. I'm assuming that it's accurate as it's all so recent. In fact it was, unexpectedly, rather a good thriller to someone like me, who didn't know how it ended. Chris O'Dowd isn't bad either - I can't always accept him outside the IT Crowd - in what is a relatively minor role. Well worth a look.
Thanked 5 times by:
ascender (04-07-2020), bronso (24-06-2020), driver8 (16-06-2020), dvdphile (16-06-2020), The Bear (16-06-2020)
Old 21-06-2020, 16:58   #2268
fivebyfive
Leave means lies

The rhythm section
Blake Lively is good and very different to other roles but the start is trying too hard to be dark and edgy and didn't make much sense with the
. Bog standard revenge film really.

We summon the darkness
Quite liked it as didn't try to be clever like the above film. Also alexandra daddario

colour out of space
Full cage out of 10 Not a bad film, nice visuals. Also the effects remind me the thing
ascender (04-07-2020), Spaceranger2001 (21-06-2020)
Old 21-06-2020, 19:15   #2269
Spaceranger2001
Trusted User

Captain America: First Avenger One of the better origin movies, from the early days of the MCU and still far better than Captain Marvel's effort. Only gripe is that the weedy rogers effects have not held up.

5/5

Captain America: The Winter Soldier The Russo Brothers certainly had a good run with this Civil War and Avengers Infinity War and Endgame. TNo cookie cutter feel about this one unlike IM 2 and Thor 2; you can taste the 70's conspiracy thriller influence.

5/5

Batman Vs Superman: Dawn Of Justice Don't get the hate for it, granted the theatrical edition is not that good, the ultimate edition fixes a lot of its problems. A different actor for Lex Luthor would have been nice though. Affleck and Irons were a good Batman and Alfred shame we never got a full solo movie with them.

4.5/5
Thanked once by:
ascender (04-07-2020)
Old 21-06-2020, 20:22   #2270
fivebyfive
Leave means lies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceranger2001 View Post

Batman Vs Superman: Dawn Of Justice Don't get the hate for it, granted the theatrical edition is not that good, the ultimate edition fixes a lot of its problems. A different actor for Lex Luthor would have been nice though. Affleck and Irons were a good Batman and Alfred shame we never got a full solo movie with them.

4.5/5

yeah batfleck is the best thing about the movie, i see robert pattinson is refusing to bulk up for the new film

as for why people didn't like this film

covers a lot
Old 24-06-2020, 20:07   #2271
Raigmore
Ambassador to Earth

1. Ship Of Fools Indicator BD: Brilliant satire from Stanley Kramer set on board a German liner in 1933 with a delightful cross section of passengers. Great script, well acted by everyone involved (with Simone Signoret outstanding) but not to everyone's taste. Thoroughly enjoyable if you are in the right mood.
PS: Indicator's Limited Edition comes with an excellent booklet with an anlytical essay by Neil Sinyard and interviews with Kramer and Lee Marvin. 9/10

2. Kong: Skull Island 4K BD. Well, it is what it is. Not bad if you put the old brain to let for a couple of hours but could have been better. Some good creature effects but not a great deal else. Probably Samuel L Jackson's worst role to date. 6/10

3. The Bedford Incident: Amazon Prime HD purchase. One of the best cold-war dramas, taut, tense and ultimately tragic. Great script and dialogue with excellent acting from all concerned, especially Richard Widmark as the unrelenting captain. 9/10
Raigmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked 2 times by:
ascender (04-07-2020), Wowbagger (24-06-2020)
Old 28-06-2020, 09:23   #2272
fivebyfive
Leave means lies

Superman: Red Son
Really interesting premise of superman being raised in the soviet union but its badly written, also it has 21st century identity politics shoved into 1950 ish setting and its so awkward shoved in

sonic the hedgehog
Its actually quite fun, the 1st design for sonic was stuff of nightmares but its very light and fun and its needed very much how **** the world is

Dr Sleep
Always hard to make a sequel to the shinning, but they did it and imo it was great film
ascender (04-07-2020)
Old 28-06-2020, 09:41   #2273
cjanderson
2 phalanxs and a catapult

We watched Dora the explorer! And we are both 40+! It was pleasant enough and I always like random singing in a movie.

Spectre was watched last night, 2nd-3rd viewing and just seems all so unlikely. How did the hotel not notice someone sealing off a room? Why didn’t he build a door?

Tomb raider was in channel 4 last Sunday which I did enjoy. Very like the recent games.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
cjanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 15:40   #2274
fivebyfive
Leave means lies

Demolition Man
Such a great film and still holds up overall. Stallone, Sandra and snipes are perfect in their roles and its great how society might be if the city was run by a "ban everything twitter types" types. Glad they have not made remade, as current year remake would be horrible, preachy trash for the (people who think they are) "woke" crowd

9/10

Countdown

its awful rip off of final destination but missing the well made deaths they built up. I imagine the studio told the hack writers, "make it modern, people like phone apps"

2/10

London fields

Its free to watch on prime video, wishes it was classy film noir with femme fatale but its badly written. Amber heard gets through the film and not accuse any of the other male stars of abuse Depp has a small role in the film, guessing it was before she made up the abuse stuff? mess of a film

4/10
driver8 (05-07-2020)
Old 04-07-2020, 08:15   #2275
Raigmore
Ambassador to Earth

1. On The Beach: BD. Unusual approaching apocalypse film by Stanley Kramer with an all-star cast. Interesting plot, well scripted and acted throughout with a downbeat ending. 8/10

2. The Manchurian Candidate: 1962 film. DVD. John Frankenheimer's psycho-political drama set in the McCarthy era. Rather improbable script but very well filmed and acted. 8/10

3. 2001: A Space Odyssey: BD. My 6th or 7th viewing but the first time that I sat through the full 'psychedelic' sequence without fast forwarding. Great and imaginative cinematography for its time but I am still unconvinced by the last 30 minutes. 7.5/10
Thanked once by:
driver8 (05-07-2020)
Old 04-07-2020, 21:26   #2276
Bish

1. Once Upon a Time... in Hollywood: BD. I loved every minute of this and got totally immersed in the whole atmosphere of the film. Yes at least a 3rd of this screams "Deleted Scene" but I'm so glad Tarantino didn't shorten it. Mrs Bish on the other hand thought it was ****in ***** and was rather annoyed that I didn't warn her than it ran for "almost 3 hours !!! "

2. 3 From Hell: BD. Second viewing for me with this one and another great film. OK I admit to being a bit of a Rob Zombie fanboy and Devil's Rejects is still my favourite but this is a suitable end to the Trilogy. It was sad to see Sid Haig towards the end of his life and looking very ill however Richard Brake's character Foxy was a good replacement.

3. In The Tall Grass: Netflix. Based on a novella by Stephen & Joe King this Netflix film was really enjoyable and made me jump (once), OK it's nothing outstanding but a IMDB score of 5.4 is still a little harsh.

Last edited by Bish; 04-07-2020 at 21:29.
Bish is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked once by:
driver8 (05-07-2020)
Old 09-07-2020, 19:10   #2277
Raigmore
Ambassador to Earth

1. The Lake House: Netflix. Familiar plot, more like a Hallmark TV movie. Rather muddled script appears to be stretched out to fill feature time. Watchable but nothing special. 6/10

2. The Island Amazon Prime. Unconvincing plot but visually good and fast moving with quite a few thrills. McGregor and a 20 year old Johansson make a good screen pair. 7/10

3. The Train: Blu-ray. John Frankenheimer's WW2 classic and his best film IMO. This was my third viewing overall and I felt that it takes that to admire all the nuances in the film. Absolutely brilliant from start to finish with script, cinematography, acting and editing all top notch. I could not think of a single thing to fault or change in this film and so, 10/10.
Old 10-07-2020, 14:24   #2278
driver8
eviscerate your memory

Thanked 2,449 Times in 1,050 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raigmore View Post
1. The Lake House: Netflix. Familiar plot, more like a Hallmark TV movie ...
I thought ... whaaat??

For some reason, I was thinking of Eden Lake ... which is excellent, but very grim, and about as far from Hallmark as you can get!
driver8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 17:38   #2279
Raigmore
Ambassador to Earth

Quote:
Originally Posted by driver8 View Post
I thought ... whaaat??

For some reason, I was thinking of Eden Lake ... which is excellent, but very grim, and about as far from Hallmark as you can get!
Well, I was talking about The Lake House with Bullock and Reeves and it is very much like a stretched out Hallmark TV movie.

As for Eden Lake being "excellent", I disagree completely. It is a cheap B-movie highlighting depravity like Wolf Creek. I hate such movies, but I guess each to their own.

Last edited by Raigmore; 10-07-2020 at 21:05.
Old 10-07-2020, 19:37   #2280
Spaceranger2001
Trusted User

Wonder Woman: Bloodlines SKYSTORE animated adventure, not as good as the 2009 animated movie as it covers a lot of the same ground, Until we get to see WW1984 its worth a look.

3/5

The Professionals BLURAY Lee Marvin and Burt Lancaster western, great cinematography and a great small cast, well worth a watch

4/5

The Last Stand BLURAY Schwarzenegger comeback movie less violent than Sabotage but not bad either.

2.5/5