Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Gadgets and Gizmos > Computing Forum

Old 04-07-2020, 10:56   #1
AdamBrunt
Trusted User

Emails not being received or marked as spam

Hi all,

Recently been finding that some emails I send either haven't been received or have been received but marked as spam. The email addresses I am sending to are correct ( and they have no problems with other emails ) and other recipients get the email without any problems. Those people are then able to forward the email to the people I haven't been able to send to directly.

This has only recently started happening - up til a few weeks ago everyone was receiving emails from me perfectly.

The above makes me think that it is not something to do with the email content ( else the forwarding wouldn't work ) or something at my end ( else nobody would receive them ). However, the people who are now not receiving them say that as far as they know nothing has changed at their end.

I have checked - as much as I can - whether my domain is on a blacklist but it doesn't appear to be.

Anyone got any suggestions on where to continue looking and from which end ?
AdamBrunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 11:39   #2
driver8
eviscerate your memory

Thanked 2,449 Times in 1,050 Posts
Raise a support ticket with your provider ? Check your cPanel spam settings ? (This is quite complicated imo!)

I'm no expert, but if you're on shared resources, then your IP can get blacklisted through no fault of your own. Or of course you could have spamming malware on your server.

Emails are more likely to end up being flagged as spam if they have links and images in them (even if it's your email sig).

This seems to check plenty blacklist sources for a domain >> https://dnschecker.org/ip-blacklist-checker.php

And here for the IP address >> https://whatismyipaddress.com/blacklist-check
driver8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 12:09   #3
AdamBrunt
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by driver8 View Post
Raise a support ticket with your provider ? Check your cPanel spam settings ? (This is quite complicated imo!)
Done the first one now. Does the cPanel spam setting not refer to incoming mail rather than outgoing mail ? Besides, I haven't changed those settings in months net alone weeks.

Quote:
Emails are more likely to end up being flagged as spam if they have links and images in them (even if it's your email sig).
There were no images in some of the emails now being blocked. And the emails which did were only because I was replying to an email that did and, again, my reply wasn't blocked by every recipient.

Quote:
I'm no expert, but if you're on shared resources, then your IP can get blacklisted through no fault of your own. Or of course you could have spamming malware on your server.

This seems to check plenty blacklist sources for a domain >> https://dnschecker.org/ip-blacklist-checker.php

And here for the IP address >> https://whatismyipaddress.com/blacklist-check
Hmm - my IP address comes up as blacklisted once on those lists - that's possibly it. The really weird thing is ... the emails are going to, amongst other, multiple @gmail.com addresses; some of gmail people are receiving it but some aren't.
Old 04-07-2020, 13:09   #4
driver8
eviscerate your memory

Yes, I've experienced a company email server being blacklisted, and the email deliverability doesn't seem to follow an obvious pattern. Each email is individually rated out of 10, as a probability of being spam. Email can work OK one day for some people/emails, but not the next day for a select few. It could be links/images in 1 email, an email chain, or certain keywords that pushes the rating above the spam threshold.

Have you got a website on your domain? If so, it may have been compromised. To see the files/folders on your server, use your cPanel - File Manager.

You can check who is sharing your IP (on shared hosting) >> https://hackertarget.com/reverse-ip-lookup/
Old 04-07-2020, 21:58   #5
scooobydont
Trusted User

If you do not have your own mail server and are using a shared server, the shared server may have been flagged on a black list. If you know the IP of the mail server you can check here:

https://mxtoolbox.com/blacklists.aspx

Do you have access to your DNS? It is worth adding in an SPF record. This shows the IP's that are allowed to send email as your domain. It could be someone is spamming out 'pretending' to be your domain.

If you ask the recipient of the email flagged as spam to send you the headers of the email, they will show what is happening (its what headers do!).

EDIT: I never read the other replies!

Last edited by scooobydont; 04-07-2020 at 22:00.
scooobydont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 13:28   #6
AdamBrunt
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooobydont View Post
If you do not have your own mail server and are using a shared server, the shared server may have been flagged on a black list. If you know the IP of the mail server you can check here:

https://mxtoolbox.com/blacklists.aspx

Do you have access to your DNS? It is worth adding in an SPF record. This shows the IP's that are allowed to send email as your domain. It could be someone is spamming out 'pretending' to be your domain.

If you ask the recipient of the email flagged as spam to send you the headers of the email, they will show what is happening (its what headers do!).

EDIT: I never read the other replies!
I am on the basic TSOHost package as far as I know. So not sure I have access to make changes to the DNS server

All my emails get sent via their Montana.footholds server and until the other week everything had been working fine.
Old 05-07-2020, 22:47   #7
scooobydont
Trusted User

The server is not showing on any black lists now:

https://mxtoolbox.com/SuperTool.aspx...4&run=toolpage

If your domain is registered there, the zone file will probably be hosted there too and the DNS can be accessed via cpanel.
Old 06-07-2020, 09:21   #8
AndyWilson
--------old-geek

You need someone who has a vague idea of how to do it to take a look at and/or send you a copy of the headers of an email that has been received by some but not others.

I'm not an expert but I did encounter a situation a couple of years ago where email from a website didn't have the SPF record set correctly in the DNS. This resulted in an SPF:none value which was accepted as a PASS by some email clients (e.g. gmail) but rejected as a FAIL by some others.
AndyWilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 09:41   #9
AdamBrunt
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyWilson View Post
You need someone who has a vague idea of how to do it to take a look at and/or send you a copy of the headers of an email that has been received by some but not others.

I'm not an expert but I did encounter a situation a couple of years ago where email from a website didn't have the SPF record set correctly in the DNS. This resulted in an SPF:none value which was accepted as a PASS by some email clients (e.g. gmail) but rejected as a FAIL by some others.
Ok.

I have forwarded one of the troublesome emails to my own gmail account.

Presumably I just need to view the original message, in the Gmail client, yes ?

This shows "SPF=neutral" assigned/flagged by Google.com
Old 06-07-2020, 12:32   #10
AndyWilson
--------old-geek

SPF=neutral is interpreted as a pass by Gmail, but as a fail by some other email clients, and either rejected or treated as spam.

Some magic has to happen with the DNS settings for the domain the email is sent from to fix it - a bit out of my area of expertise I'm afraid.
Old 06-07-2020, 12:50   #11
AdamBrunt
Trusted User

Quote:
SPF=neutral is interpreted as a pass by Gmail, but as a fail by some other email clients, and either rejected or treated as spam.

Some magic has to happen with the DNS settings for the domain the email is sent from to fix it - a bit out of my area of expertise I'm afraid.
Thanks, that's what I thought.

I am assuming this is something only my ISP ( TSOHost ) can fix ?
Old 06-07-2020, 15:50   #12
AndyWilson
--------old-geek

Depends where the DNS settings for the domain in your email address are hosted.

If you bought the domain somewhere else, the DNS might still be hosted somewhere else - or it might not be - sorry
Old 06-07-2020, 20:01   #13
Wooglie
Rurouni

Thanked 1,005 Times in 435 Posts
You might be able to add an SPF record without involving tsohost, I have a Custom DNS option in my cloud menu. I would log a ticket though as they will be able to give you the correct entries to put in there.
Wooglie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 20:28   #14
AdamBrunt
Trusted User

Quote:
Depends where the DNS settings for the domain in your email address are hosted.

If you bought the domain somewhere else, the DNS might still be hosted somewhere else - or it might not be - sorry
Vidahost ( or Paragon as they effectively are now ) are the registrar and host of the domain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wooglie View Post
You might be able to add an SPF record without involving tsohost, I have a Custom DNS option in my cloud menu. I would log a ticket though as they will be able to give you the correct entries to put in there.
Raised a ticket with them over the weekend.

Having said that, when I login to their site there is a "Manage Domain" option which leads to a "Custom DNS record" section with SPF as one of the options but ... I have no idea what it should be set to.

Last edited by AdamBrunt; 06-07-2020 at 21:15.
Old 07-07-2020, 09:07   #15
driver8
eviscerate your memory

Again I'm no expert, but as some emails are OK, it seems unlikely to be the fault of such a core config setting.

Do let us know what their helpdesk fix turns out to be ...
Old 07-07-2020, 09:30   #16
AdamBrunt
Trusted User

So I managed to get hold of someone on Online chat at about half 11 last night !!! Anyway, turns out it was to do with the SPF in some form but because I am on their cPanel hosting it's convoluted in terms of getting the setting changed.

Long story short, so far the people who weren't getting emails at all now are But not had confirmation from the people who were getting it as SPAM. But at least it is progress and clarified it wasn't something I or anyone I knew was doing.

Thanks for all help folks. Much appreciated.
Thanked 3 times by:
AndyWilson (07-07-2020), driver8 (07-07-2020), scooobydont (07-07-2020)
Old 07-07-2020, 16:41   #17
AndyWilson
--------old-geek

Quote:
Again I'm no expert, but as some emails are OK, it seems unlikely to be the fault of such a core config setting.

Do let us know what their helpdesk fix turns out to be ...
The issue is that it is undefined how email recipients should treat spf=neutral or similar values, so it’s entirely up to a combination of the destination email server and the email client. Exactly the same email can be treated differently by different recipients.

That’s normally the first clue that it’s an spf issue.
Thanked once by:
driver8 (08-07-2020)
Old 07-07-2020, 18:24   #18
scooobydont
Trusted User

I am glad you look to have sorted it.