Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Books and Comics Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-12-2018, 13:19   #1
jockosjungle
Alone in the Atlantic

Thanked 1,273 Times in 904 Posts
Your Three Favourite Books of All Time

I'm not a massively high brow reader, so was wondering what books people would consider in their top three of all time. A book you could read over and over again, etc. Hopefully will pick up a few recommendations.

1. How Steeple Sinderby Wanderers won the FA Cup - JL Carr

It's not a long book and I can happily knock it off in an afternoon, which I probably do twice a year at least. A fable about a local village side winning the FA Cup as told by the secretary of the team. It's wonderfully written, full of humour and in many ways believable. It never really explains when it is set but I'd guess the 70's.

2. The Dogs of War - Frederick Forsyth - So well written, I first read it on a walking holiday in an omnibus with Day of the Jackal, which I thought would be hard to top. Weirdly detailed, enthralling to the end, and sadly I've read many of his other books in the hope one would be even half as good, but sadly not.

3. Winter - A Berlin Family 1899 - 1945 - Len Deighton - Other books seem to have followed this basic plot, follow a family over generations. But this is a great read, epic in every way and tells the story of Germany naturally through both world wars, I guess it is sort of sympathetic in a way, but gives an amazing insight into areas of history I'd not really considered in much detail, the rise of Hitler, etc. Just got the audiobook yesterday. Again like FF, a good writer, who managed to really up their game.

Anyone else care to share any such recommendations?
jockosjungle is offline   Reply With Quote