Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Television Discussion

Old 25-11-2015, 22:58   #21
no flipping
Hunchback of Nostradamus

The tv show is based on a fictional novel from 1962. That's it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
no flipping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2015, 23:06   #22
rustybin
Xbox/PSN Tag: Rustybin69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempest View Post
Indeed.
Exactly right.

Why assume that, after a war had been won, year had passed, that a different outcome would be so bad.
That shows a staggering ignorance, even by your standards.

You genuinely believe that a nation which had exterminated 5 million Jews and several million other 'undesirables' would have, in the event of the total annihilation of opposition on planet earth, would have decided enough was enough and they'd have started some kind of Paul the Apostle-esque transformation? You're not built right. You really need to read a book. I've offered you a book list a number of times now. Start with Inside The Third Reich to get a Nazi's perspective. Or read anything by Ian Kershaw.

Last edited by rustybin; 25-11-2015 at 23:08.
rustybin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2015, 23:15   #23
Tempest
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by no flipping View Post
The tv show is based on a fictional novel from 1962. That's it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes, I know.
Given the time the book was written it's understandable of course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustybin View Post
That shows a staggering ignorance, even by your standards.
Nope, it just shows you (as you have proven in multiple topics) barge in shouting your closed viewpoint on almost every subject under the sun, trying to always rubbish anyone else who dare not agree with you.

Who knows what a future after a German win could be in the long term.
The book was a bit close to the time, so we can forgive it really.

But 50, 100, 200 years on?
Who do you fight and control when you have won and the population are happy to accept how things are?
We are controlled now, right here in the UK, it's a clever control.

Unless you are actually Dr Who with a time machine I don't know how you are so sure about future events.
Perhaps when we were sailing the globe killing and stealing from others and enslaving blacks, someone might of thought our future was not too nice to look forward to either.

Last edited by Tempest; 25-11-2015 at 23:16.
Tempest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2015, 23:18   #24
rustybin

Quote:
Yes, I know.
Given the time the book was written it's understandable of course.

Nope, it just shows you (as you have proven in multiple topics) barge in shouting your closed viewpoint on almost every subject under the sun, trying to always rubbish anyone else who dare not agree with you.

Who knows what a future after a German win could be in the long term.
The book was a bit close to the time, so we can forgive it really.

But 50, 100, 200 years on?
Who do you fight and control when you have won and the population are happy to accept how things are?
We are controlled now, right here in the UK, it's a clever control.

Unless you are actually Dr Who with a time machine I don't know how you are so sure about future events.
Perhaps when we were sailing the globe killing and stealing from others and enslaving blacks, someone might of thought our future was not too nice to look forward to either.
Based on this post, I suggest you read any book. Seriously, any book would be a step in the right direction.
Old 25-11-2015, 23:23   #25
Tempest
Trusted User

Quote:
Based on this post, I suggest you read any book. Seriously, any book would be a step in the right direction.
I just find it sad and feel sorry for you that you have such a closed mind on so many things
Wish you would be more open to others viewpoints, not just on this but many other topics.
Everyone's view is equally valid and of course we don't always agree with others views, but that does mean we have to constantly SHOUT them down and do our best to rubbish them, just because they are not the same as our views.
Try and be a bit more open
Old 25-11-2015, 23:39   #26
Nana
Walk without rhythm

Quote:

Thanks
It's just that it's so easy, and predictable to write a book (tv show of the book) on the basis of OMG Hitler one, how horrid, life is terrible etc etc.

Easy no brainer task.

I'd have been much more impressed with someone who had the balls/guts to actually explore it from a positive standpoint.

War is over, (no more need for the controls over people) Country moves forward, amazing engineering advances, quality of life, stricter controls on various aspects for the "greater good" so to speak.

Not saying I wish to live in such a world, but I'd be more keen to see something like that as opposed to the easy Life would be terrible viewpoint.

That's all.

Perhaps it's simply not possible to be positive about any past bad things and show them in a good way by exploring other outcomes. We are still so anti such thing I guess even in this country as you will be branded badly for even proposing such fictional scenarios.
You seem to be coming from the standpoint that because there was a war the Nazis did evil things and would stop once they'd achieved their goals.

The reality was that because the Nazis did evil things for many years and would not stop, there was a war. Victory of WW2 would not have mollified them into kindness, it would have allowed them to further spread their manifesto of genocide and murder.

In all honesty, if Phillip K Dick had set the story in the 21st century, maybe it would be a different tale, but set in 1962 the extrapolation seems a fair and plausible one given the history we know.
Old 25-11-2015, 23:44   #27
Alan_Mac
Trusted User

I thought this was supposed to be a discussion of a 2015 tv adaptation of a book written in the 1960's? Not a what if, even positives, of what the possiblities of real life alternatives would be if Nazism has won in WW2! This is not " try and be a bit more open" but a discussion of this version of what might have been! Anything else turns into a blind argument where there is no right/wrong answer, only divisive, this is what might happen rhetoric!!!
Play nice people!!!!!

Last edited by Alan_Mac; 25-11-2015 at 23:46.
Alan_Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2015, 23:58   #28
Tempest
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan_Mac View Post
I thought this was supposed to be a discussion of a 2015 tv adaptation of a book written in the 1960's? Not a what if, even positives, of what the possiblities of real life alternatives would be if Nazism has won in WW2! This is not " try and be a bit more open" but a discussion of this version of what might have been! Anything else turns into a blind argument where there is no right/wrong answer, only divisive, this is what might happen rhetoric!!!
Play nice people!!!!!
Yes, agreed, I simply posted, if you look back on page 1, post 9 that I'd started watching but was unsure how I'd feel about the series given it's viewpoint, and "RustyBin" STORMED in as per usual, and I was stupidly trying to respond reasonably, which I know is a waste of time against him.

So, yes, apologies for going down that route. I should know better

I'll probably try are get through the episodes. I just suppose the 1st one set the tone I guess which will follow. Love to be surprised and proved wrong, so I'm going to go with it anyway
Old 26-11-2015, 01:04   #29
alsemail
Bibble....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan_Mac View Post
I thought this was supposed to be a discussion of a 2015 tv adaptation of a book written in the 1960's?
It's just the usual random Tempest "postulations" on "wouldn't it be nice if..... ", "it makes me sad when....... " and "wouldn't this show be better if it had more robots from the future made by Apple/Microsoft and the robots had more RAM/a faster SSD and better graphics cards" yadda, yadda.

Rather than discussing the actual point of the thread he rambles on with random thoughts in his head.

I've watched the first couple and think it's pretty decent, it's certainly an interesting perspective on alternative history. As to Tempests views that the Nazis weren't all bad and the trains (to the gas chambers) ran on time then it his usual inability to understand people or empathise with real life.

It's not anti-German at all, if even from the standpoint that not all Germans were Nazis, they were just soldiers fighting for their country.
Who knows what life under the Nazis would have been like now but I don't think it's hard to imagine life under Hitler in 1962 would be anything but terrifying. No crystal ball required for that.

Last edited by alsemail; 26-11-2015 at 04:52. Reason: spellink...
alsemail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2015, 08:02   #30
Tempest
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by alsemail View Post
It's just the usual random Tempest "postulations" on "wouldn't it be nice if..... ", "it makes me sad when....... " and "wouldn't this show be better if it had more robots from the future made by Apple/Microsoft and the robots had more RAM/a faster SSD and better graphics cards" yadda, yadda.

Rather than discussing the actual point of the thread he rambles on with random thoughts in his head.
But why have a go at me?

Please go back, look at posting #9 I simply made 1 single post about starting to watch this, and I was not sure if I was going to like the viewpoint, but would probably carry on and see where it went.

Just 1 single post. And was all I was going to say.

RustyBin on the following post #10 then laid into me by saying: "What the **** are you on about?"

To which I of course then had to explain, and hence some silly too and fro postings.

So how come this is my fault? Should I not respond to a non topic abusive post from someone and just be a punching bag for others?

It's great to get other on topic postings from others with different viewpoints on thread topics.
I just wish the mods would deal with the few like RustyBin who jump in a thread posting just "What the **** are you on about?" to stir up trouble.

There is no need for these people to do this, and when people respond, the thread then gets messy and others (like yourself) get upset and I agree.

So let's stop these people from posting abusive posts to others..... yes?
Old 26-11-2015, 08:48   #31
fivebyfive
Leave means lies

Thanked 1,065 Times in 471 Posts
Quote:
War is over, (no more need for the controls over people) Country moves forward, amazing engineering advances, quality of life, stricter controls on various aspects for the "greater good" so to speak.
This shows you have not even watched the tv show, as the Nazis control every one. There is no "greater good" Alternate histories are interesting but to say what you are saying about the nazis being a step forward is insane but I don't think you know what the Nazis did to millions of people

Quote:
Originally Posted by alsemail View Post

I've watched the first couple and think it's pretty decent, it's certainly an interesting perspective on alternative history. As to Tempests views that the Nazis weren't all bad and the trains (to the gas chambers) ran on time then it his usual inability to understand people or empathise with real life.

It's not anti-German at all, if even from the standpoint that not all Germans were Nazis, they were just soldiers fighting for their country.
Who knows what life under the Nazis would have been like now but I don't think it's hard to imagine life under Hitler in 1962 would be anything but terrifying. No crystal ball required for that.
Completely spot on
fivebyfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2015, 10:20   #32
shteve
[o]EvilTwinkle

Quote:
Originally Posted by fivebyfive View Post
just lack of apathy.
I think that's the second time I've seen you use the word apathy in this way and it makes little sense - do you mean empathy?
shteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2015, 11:20   #33
ColinP
Egomaniac / Snowflake

Thanked 1,623 Times in 767 Posts
As bizarre as Tempest's posts are, please don't stoop to accusations like those I've removed above.
Old 26-11-2015, 13:08   #34
Nana
Walk without rhythm

Back to the TVs show, interesting interview with Frank Spontnitz http://zap2it.com/2015/11/season-1-h...tles-identity/ Concerning the identity of the man in the high castle.

I was too engrossed in the story to notice the clues, any guesses?
Old 26-11-2015, 14:01   #35
GPR79
XBL: GozerTGozerian

By Mike Godwin's beard this thread wasn't what I expected when I clicked on it...
Old 26-11-2015, 16:01   #36
rustybin

Watching the first episode through again to remind myself before cracking on with the whole season... The scene with the policeman stopping to help change the tyre is harrowing.
Old 26-11-2015, 16:29   #37
Nana
Walk without rhythm

Quote:
Watching the first episode through again to remind myself before cracking on with the whole season... The scene with the policeman stopping to help change the tyre is harrowing.
Yes, my blood went cold, and it foreshadows part of the storyline further along, so it wasn't simply put in for shock value.
Old 27-11-2015, 20:53   #38
Tempest
Trusted User

Out of interest, just how long does this go on for?

Watched about 4 episodes now (4 hours) and really struggling with the slow boring drawn out pace of this.

I see there are 10 or 11 episodes. But it says "Season one" please tell me, they are not dragging this out beyond 11 hours long?

The mystery film is interesting, but sheesh we're taking the scenic route to actually get anywhere in the main storyline.

Seems all full of heads of state acting like children, nothing like reality, and solo bad men who'd get killed in seconds in the real world, but manage to keep living despite all odds.

If the main story is actually going to get anywhere I'm happy to stick with it, but if it's a case of another 7? hours of "personal issues" and still not much further to find out what this film is about I don't know if I can take it.

Alternate universe?, Time travel? SOMETHING interesting please.

Makes me feel like this right now.........

Last edited by Tempest; 27-11-2015 at 21:03.
Old 27-11-2015, 23:14   #39
AndyWilson
--------old-geek

It's not particularly slow is it?
Admittedly I'm only 3 episodes in but the pace seems fine to tell the stories. The titular character's films are just a macguffin surely?
AndyWilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2015, 23:42   #40
rustybin

No, it's not slow. It's brilliant, horrible stuff. One of the best things I've seen in a long, long time.