Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Sports Forum

Closed Thread

Old 20-08-2014, 13:17   #1
Rohail
Ultimo hombre

Scottish Football Season 2015/16

Started new thread for this season.

Two games in and already there are many talking points for Scottish football!

Premier League:
Celtic's new manager Ronny Deila is getting more comfortable in the dugout with 2 wins, the 2nd game against Dundee United being the most impressive as they destroyed them 6-1 at home, Deila should have enough in the squad to win the Premier league but doubts are still there for how they will fare in Europe, Legia Warsaw's admin error and forfeit of the 2nd leg has allowed them back into either the Champions League group stage (depending on whether they beat NK Maribor over two legs) or the Europa League group stage.

The rest of the Premier League is as you were, Dundee United looked impressive till they got walloped by Celtic, Aberdeen have stuttered (pre-season favourites to be 2nd). Newly promoted Hamilton have done well, it will be interesting to see who will be the best of the rest in the league.

Championship:
Hearts were relegated from the Premier League after their administration woes and points deduction and have new owners, new manager and new director of football in Craig Levein (he of the 6-4-0 formation fame for Scotland!). Some sound players have been brought in and they should have enough to go straight back up. Hibs under Terry Butcher got relegated after being beaten by Hamilton in the play-offs, new manager Alan Stubbs will be hoping to take the club straight back up to the premier league but they may struggle to go up this year.

The Rangers were promoted from Division 1 and have splashed out on strikers Kenny Miller and Kris Boyd plus a number of other ex Premier League players, they'll be hoping to go straight up as champions and with the fire-power of Miller and Boyd, they should do, though doubts remain over their defence and also whether the fans will keep backing manager McCoist who they feel is not playing attractive football, doubts also linger about their financial position and boardroom woes which won't help the team during the season.

Thoughts on the new season fellow Scottish football fans?

Last edited by Rohail; 20-08-2014 at 13:21. Reason: edit
Old 20-08-2014, 13:39   #2
H Dot
Trusted User

Being a Rangers you summed it up well, we played poorly against Hearts and were justly beaten, good to have Boyd back hopefully hitting the kind of form he had before he left us. As long as the distraction off the field doesn't effect the players on it the Championship looks to be more exciting than SPL. I don't agree with some of the criticism McCoist has had levied on him I think he's doing a good job under the circumstances, the quicker the boardroom issues get resolved the better.
Old 20-08-2014, 15:57   #3
fothy123
Trusted User

The SPL is basically over now, the other teams would have need to have made a decent start but Aberdeen's early slip and Dundee Utd's destruction have pretty much set the tone. Celtic still downsizing and it's still a nonsense that players want to leave them for mid to low English Premier league teams. Very lucky to still be in the CL so far, well beaten by Legia Warsaw over the 2 legs but out due to an admin error. Massive booboo to bring on the sub, but they obviously genuinely thought he had served his ban. I expect Celtic to kick on and beat Marbor though as now they have a few competitive games under their belt. I reckon a run in Europe will be the highlight for Celtic fans as I think the SPL will be a non event.

Seen some of the Heart Hibs game at the weekend and neither were particularly impressive. Both played well against Rangers with a deserved win and an unlucky et defeat. Rangers have been fairly sluggish in the league, McCulloch is being shoehorned in to the team still and players are being shifted out of position to accommodate others (McLeod on left midfield with Black in the middle). Maybe the recent 8-1 against Clyde will give some of the players a bit of confidence, Law in particular hasn't been anywhere near the level he should be. Boyd netting should kick him on and Clarke looked pretty good next to him too. Will be interesting to see how the 3 of them finish, 1st and 2nd is not guaranteed for anyone.
Old 21-08-2014, 17:58   #4
fothy123
Trusted User

I'm impressed with Callum McGregor for Celtic, looks like a very decent player who has popped out of nowhere and netted a few goals already.
Old 22-08-2014, 10:12   #5
Rohail
Ultimo hombre

Good away result against NK Maribor on Wednesday for Celtic, crucial away goal and hopefully we can complete the job at Celtic Park next week.

Yes McGregor has been impressive so far, he had a loan spell at Notts County last season and scored 14 goals so he certainly knows where the goal is but like all young players he'll have a dip in form through the season. I'm not sure he'll be regular in the team tbh but if he maintains his form then you never know.

Transfer activities for Celtic hotting up, deal for Ghanaian winger Wakaso Mubarak should be finalised for the weekend, also linked with a striker from Spain (Stefan Scepovic) and a defender from France (Jean-Armel Kana-Biyik), off course whether we sign them is another matter...

I expect to see rotation in the team against Caley tomorrow with Celtic playing the 2nd leg of their CL play-off on Tuesday and Deila has hinted at this too (big squad etc. etc.).

Hearts were gubbed 4-1 by Livingston in the Petrofac Training Cup, think they put out a virtual youth team as their main target is the promotion to the Premier League.

The Rangers got East Fife away in the Petrofac Training Cup, maybe a good thing for them as only 11k turned up for their last game at home.

Last edited by Rohail; 22-08-2014 at 10:14. Reason: Typo
Old 31-08-2014, 14:36   #6
fothy123
Trusted User

Hearts have sounded fantastic the last few weeks and Rangers are definitely going to have to step up a gear this season to compete with them for top spot. Wasn't sure on how Neilson would do but they seem to be playing great attacking football. Hibs on the other hand are going from one crisis to the next and in free fall. Apparently they made an enquiry to Celtic about taking Griffiths back on loan, however it was knocked back. Probably a good thing as his deflected shot saved a point against Dundee for Celtic, who seem to be doing their best to make the SPL more of a competition!

I fully expect the others to fall away after 12-15 games and Celtic to be sitting at the top and increasing the lead. Interesting to read that Lawell reckons Celtic are Ł10m a year worse off due to Rangers not being in the league. I'm sure they would have a better first team too had Rangers still been there (or only dropped down one league), players like Forster and Hooper wouldn't have been sold on I'd imagine.

Rangers doing another share issue, seems like the fans idea of starving the board is definitely working, vast numbers refusing to buy season tickets or attend. Hopefully they will sell up or allow Dave King to invest with a good few of them moving on.
Old 05-09-2014, 13:38   #7
fothy123
Trusted User

Scotland kick off their euro 2016 qualifying campaign on Sunday away to Germany. Anything would be a bonus from this one, would be great if we could get a surprise point (or 3) on the board. Should be fairly equal between Scotland, Poland, Georgia and Republic of Ireland with Gibraltar being the cannon fodder.
Old 05-09-2014, 14:50   #8
H Dot
Trusted User

Would love a shock 1-0 win for the Scots would really kick off our campaign
Old 05-09-2014, 15:12   #9
Guest 66187
Trusted User

Notice Rohail seems to have gone as AWOL as his team in recent weeks ...

I disagree with H Dot - McCoist is simply still in employment to keep the fans onside (that is all he has ever been) and that is looking increasingly unlikely throughout the coming months. We have been financially gang-raped under his stewardship.

Only problem is what are the alternatives?? So many people have come forward as the saviour but they don't seem willing to actually put their money in their pockets whilst doing so.
Old 05-09-2014, 15:31   #10
rooster
Pig Farm Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by fothy123 View Post
Rangers doing another share issue, seems like the fans idea of starving the board is definitely working, vast numbers refusing to buy season tickets or attend. Hopefully they will sell up or allow Dave King to invest with a good few of them moving on.
Could come at a price though , i.e. Administration and 25 point deduction and probably another year in lower leagues.
Old 05-09-2014, 15:34   #11
fothy123
Trusted User

I think nobody that may invest wants to see members of the current board go away with any sort of profit from the way they have tried to run the club. Recent talk of Wallace taking a 100% bonus.
Old 05-09-2014, 15:34   #12
fothy123
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rooster View Post
Could come at a price though , i.e. Administration and 25 point deduction and probably another year in lower leagues.
Yeah you're completely correct, it could well come to that but if it did then we'd probably still have Hibs to play next season!
Old 05-09-2014, 16:11   #13
Guest 66187
Trusted User

Quote:
I think nobody that may invest wants to see members of the current board go away with any sort of profit from the way they have tried to run the club. Recent talk of Wallace taking a 100% bonus.
Well it looks like the current board have nowhere left to turn now - they have milked the fans dry but the danger is what damage can they do before the crap starts hitting the fan in the coming weeks as it surely will??

HMRC still have a lot to answer for as they were the catalyst in all this charade and their leaks to the press saw us judged guilty before any case was answered.

Charles Green still lurking worries me greatly ...
Old 05-09-2014, 20:02   #14
Guest 2438
CELTIC FC

Chico green is a scumbag of the highest order and what ever some people think of rangers and it's fans, the club is still part of the fabric of scottish football. That puts a massive dent in an already diminished national game. There is probably a lot of schadenfreude about, but if that was my club I'd be raging.
Old 11-09-2014, 16:42   #15
Rohail
Ultimo hombre

Quote:
Originally Posted by essydyk View Post
Notice Rohail seems to have gone as AWOL as his team in recent weeks ...
Still here, nothing much to talk about recently

Decent start for Scotland, ref was homer, keep up that level of performance and we should be there or thereabouts for 2nd place.

Decent group too for Celtic in the EL group stages, with the additions of Wakaso, Guidetti and Scepovic, hopefully we'll be more of a attacking threat (though Guidetti can't play in the EL). Will interesting to see how the team does against Aberdeen tomorrow.

Meanwhile at Ibrox, another day, another administration? Wallace on gardening leave apparently and not much funds garnered through the share issue. Points deduction on the way?
Old 21-09-2014, 20:29   #16
rooster
Pig Farm Owner

Dire stuff at Parkhead today, Deila looks a bit out of depth but deserves a few months to try and get his methods across. Although I fully expect Celtic to win league comfortably it may take a while before they hit top spot. Thursday European games won't help.
Old 01-10-2014, 11:57   #17
rooster
Pig Farm Owner

Quote:
Yeah you're completely correct, it could well come to that but if it did then we'd probably still have Hibs to play next season!
After Tuesday's game not a prospect they will wish
Old 04-12-2014, 10:56   #18
Rohail
Ultimo hombre

Deila getting more comfortable in the hot seat at Celtic Park, top of the table and still in all the cup competitions. Hopefully Guidetti is signed up on a permanent deal soon. Think there will be player movement in and out in the January window at the club.

Great result for Alloa last night
Old 05-01-2015, 12:32   #19
rooster
Pig Farm Owner

Looks like a new chapter in Rangers saga is about to break though Mystic Meg would not be able to predict what the outcome is going to be with the Emergency loans from Easdale and King ,Ashley and American basketball owner all making plays. HRMC may also have a say. A sorry state of a football club.
Old 05-01-2015, 13:40   #20
andybhoy
Trusted User

This won't end until they learn lessons over their overspending. They wouldn't be in this mess of they'd cut their cloth appropriately in division 3. They'd still have been able to fly up the divisions I'm sure, with the right players. Instead they tried to keep spending.

I'm amazed that anyone wants to put money in the club - the fans force out CEO after CEO. Whoever takes over next will just have the same happen again.
Closed Thread