Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Gadgets and Gizmos > Home Entertainment Hardware forum

Old 24-12-2005, 08:28   #1
Guest 737
There can be only one!

Multiple HDMI Devices on Same TV

I am thinking of buying the Hitachi 32ld7200 and coupling that with a Denon dvd-1920 which is HDMI so I can take advantage of upscaling with my existing DVDs.

Now I am thinking if I do this how am I going to connect my SKY HD box next year when I get it because I wll have already used up the 1 HDMI connection on the TV, any ideas?

I think I have to use HDMI from the Denon to take advantage of the upscaling, so am I knackered?

Last edited by Conrad; 24-12-2005 at 08:28.
Guest 737 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2005, 09:37   #2
Baz
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conrad
I am thinking of buying the Hitachi 32ld7200 and coupling that with a Denon dvd-1920 which is HDMI so I can take advantage of upscaling with my existing DVDs.

Now I am thinking if I do this how am I going to connect my SKY HD box next year when I get it because I wll have already used up the 1 HDMI connection on the TV, any ideas?

I think I have to use HDMI from the Denon to take advantage of the upscaling, so am I knackered?
Either a HDMI switcher, which is around £200+ at the moment or get a new amp with HDMI switching, such as the Yamaha 2600. And even that only has two HDMI inputs for the £750 asking price. They are your options, or switch the cables manually when you want to watch Sky HD rather than a DVD.

Last edited by Baz; 24-12-2005 at 09:38.
Baz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2005, 10:26   #3
amcanally
Tried a VTEC yet?

IIRC, Sky HD will also be Component so its backwards compatible with the non hdmi panels. I could be wrong though....
amcanally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2005, 13:08   #4
Guest 737
There can be only one!

Surely I am not the only one who is going to have this problem.

If I use component though on the SKY HD box is there much point in going HD or will the quality be comparable? I am a bit new to this HD stuff so sorry if the questions are dumb.
Old 24-12-2005, 13:21   #5
Tastydirt
The Topper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conrad
If I use component though on the SKY HD box is there much point in going HD or will the quality be comparable? I am a bit new to this HD stuff so sorry if the questions are dumb.
Good component cables have enough quality to match, or even exceed cheaper HDMI cables. Don't just go for HDMI because its digital, components are excellent quality and will still be around for years.

On SkyHD offering component, I don't think thats going to happen, as it'll mean it'd be far too easy to bypass the copy protection in HDMI (HDCP I think?)

I'd go for a DVD player using component, and SkyHD next year using HDMI.
Tastydirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2005, 13:54   #6
Guest 737
There can be only one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tastydirt
Good component cables have enough quality to match, or even exceed cheaper HDMI cables. Don't just go for HDMI because its digital, components are excellent quality and will still be around for years.

On SkyHD offering component, I don't think thats going to happen, as it'll mean it'd be far too easy to bypass the copy protection in HDMI (HDCP I think?)

I'd go for a DVD player using component, and SkyHD next year using HDMI.
The 1920 also has component according to this

http://www.denon.co.uk/site/frames_m...etail&Pid=232&

So that should be all right?

Last edited by Conrad; 24-12-2005 at 13:54.
Old 24-12-2005, 13:58   #7
Tastydirt
The Topper

Yeah the Denon would be fine, although it might be best to look around at other DVD players now that you dont have to have a DVI/HDMI output. Still, that Denon is supposed to be a good player.
Old 24-12-2005, 14:05   #8
Guest 737
There can be only one!

Quote:
Yeah the Denon would be fine, although it might be best to look around at other DVD players now that you dont have to have a DVI/HDMI output. Still, that Denon is supposed to be a good player.
Well I was thinking maybe I could use the HDMI and upscaling from the Denon whilst I wait for SKY HD and then switch the Denon to component. The Denon has a good rep but I am wondering if there is anything cheaper that is as good or do you get what you pay for?
Old 24-12-2005, 14:10   #9
Tastydirt
The Topper

I'm currently using a Pioneer DVD recorder to feed my Pioneer plasma through component, and the quality's excellent. I did try to dabble with HDMI and play a DVD through a computer at high resolution, but I really couldn't see any advantage of upscaling myself, so I'm sticking with the component DVD player.

As for other DVD players, I hear this Toshiba one is very good for the price, and it even comes with HDMI!
Old 24-12-2005, 14:14   #10
Guest 737
There can be only one!

Quote:
I'm currently using a Pioneer DVD recorder to feed my Pioneer plasma through component, and the quality's excellent. I did try to dabble with HDMI and play a DVD through a computer at high resolution, but I really couldn't see any advantage of upscaling myself, so I'm sticking with the component DVD player.

As for other DVD players, I hear this Toshiba one is very good for the price, and it even comes with HDMI!
Cheers TD that is excellent. One of the things tha has slightly tainted my opinion of the Denon is the resume function. Apparently it only remembers the last disc placed in the machine. My 5 year old Pioneer 626d has a last memory feature for about 5 discs which I have found really useful. Pity, better see if the Tosh can do it.