Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Gadgets and Gizmos > Home Entertainment Hardware forum

Old 01-03-2004, 23:16   #1
Tempest
Trusted User

Videologic Digitheatre DTS - Not Impressed :(

Now I hope this is not going to cause any offence, but I've recently set up my Black VideoLogic DTS surround Sound speaker setup, and must say I'm really not that impressed by the sound quality.

I'd almost go so far to say that my girlfriends Tesco DVD Player and surround sound speaker package for £99 all in sounds better.

The sound from my rears is quite limited compaired to her rear sound output, and the main issue I have with mine is lack of clarity from the center speaker.

I am talking of DVD's here...

But on Halo (on the Xbox) when I used to play it on normal stereo TV speakers I could hear the voice/instructions during the game clearly. But when connected via optical the speach now comes from the videologic centre, and sometimes I can hardly make it out, it's all muddy sounding.

May something be setup wrong ? It all just plugs together...

I have got it all set up physically in the room as it should be.

It's just often I feel I'm lacking a lot of clarity.

This is only in a small 11ft x 11ft room.

Any opinions/advice.

Otherwise I'm gonna have to burn some cash and get something decent.
Tempest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2004, 01:58   #2
kiran_mk2
Trusted User

The digitheatre DTS does have quite a weak centre speaker - try turning it up a bit. Other than that it rocks - initially I was a bit disappointed (it was my 1st surround sound sytem) as the sound comming from the rears wasn't as much as I'd expected, but i soon realised that the point of 5.1 tracks isn't to proved massive amounts of sound from the rears, it's simply to make you believe you're immerssed in the film - which requires subtle use of the rears. Personnally, I find the digitheatre speakers to be excellent (allbeit in my fairly small room). Try films like The Rock (the chapter where thr planes attack the island) for a fantastic demo of surround sound at its best.
kiran_mk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2004, 08:43   #3
Tempest
Trusted User

Yeah, perhaps turning the centre up a bit will help (will try)
Albeit would like a way of getting the level right rather than guessing.

I find the volume needs to be turned up quite high anyway really.
When playing DVD's thru my Xbox, or thru my PC (One via Optical the other via coax) I find I need the volume level up 1 LED past centre to get the level up to where I'd like it.

I know what you mean about rears, though, I have heard some (dare I say it) better setups (and cheaper ones) where there does feel to be more rear coming out.

I guess it's a good system really. The main issue is the low/muddle middle. But will do as you suggest.

Otherwise I'm gonna be looking at a Grand I guess for a better setup.

Amp, Sub, and 5 speakers.
Old 02-03-2004, 11:59   #4
Guest 24044
Trusted User

I paid less than £700 for my Marantz SR4300 and Infinity Home Cinema System 2, plus a bunch of good cable, nearly a year ago - and I paid a premium by going to an av shop rather than using the Net. I expect that £500 will see you with a significant upgrade, although if you've got a grand that you're happy to spend on a new system, no doubt it'd be fantastic.
Guest 24044 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2004, 13:49   #5
Tempest
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally posted by NikBorton
I paid less than £700 for my Marantz SR4300 and Infinity Home Cinema System 2, plus a bunch of good cable, nearly a year ago - and I paid a premium by going to an av shop rather than using the Net. I expect that £500 will see you with a significant upgrade, although if you've got a grand that you're happy to spend on a new system, no doubt it'd be fantastic.
Well I just picked a Grand out the air...

But I'd guess you got to be looking at say £200+ just for any half decent home amp (I know you can spend a ton more) then the same again at least for a sub, which would give you the rest for the other 5 speakers
Old 03-03-2004, 14:32   #6
Guest 30562
Trusted User

I think there might be something wrong with your system.
I also had a Digitheatre DTS as my first system in my living room. This room is (roughly) 13ft x 20ft x 11ft high and I very rarely had my volume up to even half. Quite often, for normal viewing, I had the volume at about 4 or 5 leds.

Are all the speaker levels set around the centre? This is the top (uppermost) led when you press one of the speaker buttons on the remote. If you have them all set downwards then that might explain your overall lower volume?
Guest 30562 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2004, 15:13   #7
Tempest
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally posted by twicenightly
I think there might be something wrong with your system.
I also had a Digitheatre DTS as my first system in my living room. This room is (roughly) 13ft x 20ft x 11ft high and I very rarely had my volume up to even half. Quite often, for normal viewing, I had the volume at about 4 or 5 leds.

Are all the speaker levels set around the centre? This is the top (uppermost) led when you press one of the speaker buttons on the remote. If you have them all set downwards then that might explain your overall lower volume?
Will take a look later tonight.
I have never adjusted the individual speaker settings out of the box, but I guess it may also be that I'm either deaf, or like to be made deaf when watching a film.

Seriously though, it always seems difficult with DVD's as the load bits are so loud they are too loud, but the quiet bits (talking) cen be so quiet you can hardly hear what's being said. Have heard others grumble about this too.

Difficult to compair loudness without a db meter though.....
One mans loud might be another mans quiet.
Old 03-03-2004, 15:38   #8
Guest 16380
Trusted User

Ive got the digitheatre DTS system and I agree, the system is good overall but the centre speaker is very muffled and could be improved
Guest 16380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2004, 16:07   #9
Guest 3483
Trusted User

I've had a couple of budget set ups and found the centres to be quite weak. When you think about it, some TVs (certainly my gigantic 11 year old Sony with huge detatchable speakers) have bigger and maybe even better speakers than you'll find in a budget surround set up. If you're listening on a budget surround system, the dialogue has to come from the tiddly little centre speaker which is often no match for the TV's own speakers.
Guest 3483 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2004, 16:39   #10
Jimmyboy
^__^

Videologic are aware of the center speaker problem that's why they released the Platinum DTS model which corrects this problem.

I'm a little confused as to your comment about it being limited though. The DTS system is LOUD! although it's obviously dependent on the quality of the source. This may sound like a stupid question but you have got it set up through either coaxial or optical with the correct input selected on the amp right?
Jimmyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2004, 00:13   #11
Tempest
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally posted by Jimmyboy
Videologic are aware of the center speaker problem that's why they released the Platinum DTS model which corrects this problem.

I'm a little confused as to your comment about it being limited though. The DTS system is LOUD! although it's obviously dependent on the quality of the source. This may sound like a stupid question but you have got it set up through either coaxial or optical with the correct input selected on the amp right?
Ummm, well I don't think it's really possible to set it up wrong is it ?

I have an Xbox with the official RGB lead out which has a optical digital out. Also have a PC with is connected now via a Coax digital.

Whichever I'm using I select on the control box (middle speaker) coax if it's from my pc or optical if from xbox and I get the sound out....

I'm not saying it's not loud... It IS loud, it's just it has to be half way round (plus a bit) to be what I would call a nice room filling sound.
Late at night things sound louder so perhaps about middle then.
Old 04-03-2004, 10:15   #12
Guest 473
Trusted User

Try using the "test" on the digi dts centre speaker. I've always been happy with mine (especially for the price) and have had to move it a few times meaning that its needed reconfiguring each time. sit in your chosen listening spot, hit the test button on the remote and it'll play a same level noise through each of the speakers (including the sub & centre) ... takes a bit of getting used to cos the sub and centre sound different from the sats due to them a) being different drivers in the speakers, and b) the sub being setup to cancel out all high freq noise. eventually you get used to it and use the +/- buttons during the cycling speaker test to adjust the currently outputing speaker ... personally I get them all setup to sound about the same vol from my listening spot ... then give the centre at least 1 extra notch up . To do this properly you need a db meter but at least you'll hear that the unit is set to give the same volume from each speaker relative to your listening spot ... if the rear seems quiet when you watch a dvd then thats how the audio mix is for the movie, meant to be that way .

Duncan
Guest 473 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2004, 13:26   #13
internetuser
XBL / PSN : Googleboogle

What do you have each individual speaker level set too ?

As your on about the master volume, if thats high, your other speakers are nodoubt set to low.

Also check that the center one is a LED more than the FL and FR so it stands out abit for vocals.
internetuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2004, 17:11   #14
Guest 473
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally posted by internetuser
What do you have each individual speaker level set too ?
Just the once ... to make all the speaker outputs level. After that the regualar master volume brings everything up and down together.
Old 04-03-2004, 21:13   #15
internetuser
XBL / PSN : Googleboogle

Quote:
Originally posted by DunkWho
Just the once ... to make all the speaker outputs level. After that the regualar master volume brings everything up and down together.
Is it me or does that not make sense ?
internetuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2004, 00:17   #16
Savagexii
Trusted User

I have my individual speakers up all the way, so my master volume never has to go higher than halfway to achieve a very loud volume. Never thought it was lacking at all really, although it is my first 5.1 speaker package.
Old 05-03-2004, 09:47   #17
Guest 473
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally posted by internetuser
Is it me or does that not make sense ?
Not make sense in that you don't follow my comments ... or not make sense in that you don't think the way it works is right?

1) wire it all up
2) sit down, run the tests, adjust the individual volumes so that they all sound the same to you in your viewing spot - this kind of balances out left\right setup especially with the tv in the corner, also allows me to weight the rears given that they're sitting behind the sofa
3) finish the test mode, use the main volume to adjust all normal listening - the individual increases & decreases are taken into account to maintain your relative setup.

I started with everything mid way ... sub is then down a couple cos otherwise its too noisey and farty, centre is up a couple, one of the fronts up 1 cos it sits slightly hidden behind a sofa, rear left is up 1 cos i sit right above rear right and need to make them balanced.

works for me !

Duncan

Last edited by DunkWho; 05-03-2004 at 09:47.
Old 05-03-2004, 12:56   #18
Tempest
Trusted User

Cheers for the informative posting on this issue.

I had all the speakers set to factory settings. ie. every speaker was set exactly to half way.

I've not done the listening test as I'm not a good judge of subtle things. It needs to be quite obvious for me to spot it !!

I have however turned up the center an extra notch (like many here have) and so far I think that's made a large improvment in bringing up the dialogue over sometimes loud backing track.

May tweak it up one more when have more time to test.

At the moment however, all speakers in the middle (led) with the centre plus 1, and the master volume in the middle also, playing Finding Nemo seemed just fine in DTS

This is all coming out the back of my PC card via Digital coax by the way.

Do you think it makes ANY different to the DTS Sound Output of a sound card with regards the drivers.
As I have a Creative Live 1024 card I've not bothered with any actual drivers as WinXP just makes it work without anything extra.
Old 05-03-2004, 13:41   #19
Guest 3483
Trusted User

Digital output is digital output. Cards, drivers etc will make no difference. It's all "ones" and "zeros".
I think you're just expecting too much of a budget system.
Guest 3483 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2004, 14:55   #20
KAC
Rescue El Presidente...

I've got my Digi DTS setup up like this:

From the midway point:

FL, FR +2
Centre +3
RL, RR +2
Sub - As high as it will go.
KAC is offline   Reply With Quote