Star Wars Complete 9 Film Forum Watch Party(ish) - Forums @ The Digital Fix

Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Film Discussion

Old 04-05-2020, 12:31   #1
jockosjungle
Alone in the Atlantic

Thanked 1,269 Times in 900 Posts
Star Wars Complete 9 Film Forum Watch Party(ish)

Never really got into the spirit of May 4th before, I've thought the whole thing sprung up from a not that funny joke. But being in lockdown and generally doing a full watch of all the films a couple of times a year or so, thought this would be as good a day to start.

So we can watch the entire 9 Movie Saga in our own homes legally (I think, I am not actually sure but it's on SKY and Disney+ and been on DVD for a few weeks)

Will anyone else be partaking?

Where do you start? For me it's Phantom Menace and work through in order, I've not thought to include any of the other films like Solo or Rogue One.
jockosjungle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 12:39   #2
Goooner1
Trusted User

Watched them all a couple of weeks ago.

Started with TPM and included Rogue One, didn’t bother with Solo.

Was a bit of a slog to be honest. Enjoyed Rogue One more than on previous viewings. The original three are still great, the rest not so much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-05-2020, 13:06   #3
cliff homewood
Trusted User

I'm at work (key worker) otherwise woudl have been interested
cliff homewood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 13:11   #4
jockosjungle
Alone in the Atlantic

Yeh I always recall it becomes something of a slog. I also question things in my head.

Do the robots in phantom menace get promoted to be a corporal and sergeant or are they just programmed better?
Old 04-05-2020, 13:18   #5
Wooglie
Rurouni

Thanked 1,002 Times in 433 Posts
I've been planning to, but haven't found the time to start as I have the 4k box set. Hadn't though of including Rogue One or Solo. I have Solo in 4K, but not Rogue One. Couldn't find it in the UK yet.

Last edited by Wooglie; 04-05-2020 at 13:54.
Wooglie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 14:54   #6
Raigmore
Ambassador to Earth

I was going to wait for a few weeks to see if the 4K set drops in price. I'll get it anyway; I only have the DVDs of the original and prequel trilogies and Blu-rays for the rest. They are a;; packed to go to our second home in India anyway. I'll keep just the regular BDs of FO and SOLO to add to the set.

I think the right chronological order would be TPM, AOTC, ROTS, SOLO, FO, TNH, TESB, ROTJ, TFA, TLJ and TROS.

Though unrelated, events in Solo took place before Force One.
Raigmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 16:11   #7
allan
Trusted User

Surely there's only 3 Star Wars films...
allan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 18:02   #8
T4V
PSN=The4thViewer XBL=t4v

No love for the Clone Wars animated movie?
T4V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 18:18   #9
scoobyood
Tony Danza

Thanked 1,316 Times in 657 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raigmore View Post
I was going to wait for a few weeks to see if the 4K set drops in price. I'll get it anyway; I only have the DVDs of the original and prequel trilogies and Blu-rays for the rest. They are a;; packed to go to our second home in India anyway. I'll keep just the regular BDs of FO and SOLO to add to the set.

I think the right chronological order would be TPM, AOTC, ROTS, SOLO, FO, TNH, TESB, ROTJ, TFA, TLJ and TROS.

Though unrelated, events in Solo took place before Force One.
Disney Plus 7 day free trial..
scoobyood is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 20:01   #10
jockosjungle
Alone in the Atlantic

I wonder where

Mandalorian
Ewoks Animated
Droids Animated

Fit in overall
Old 04-05-2020, 20:10   #11
The Bear
Old-gold and black member

Thanked 1,637 Times in 544 Posts
Mandalorian is set 5 years after the Empire is defeated in ROTJ.
The Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked once by:
ShaneC (05-05-2020)
Old 05-05-2020, 10:45   #12
KeyserSoze
Trusted User

Already went through the whole thing back in December so not going to marathon again.

Watched about an hour of Rise of Skywalker on D+ last night. It’s a dumb movie and the plot is pretty bad but it’s still huge fun IMO. Beautifully shot too. I dont have a UHD player yet and this is one of the first proper HDR movies I’ve seen. I wasn’t sold too much on it before now I am, colours look amazing on Dolby Vision (although i believe it was still steaming at 1080p). Looking forward to finishing it tonight.

Does anyone know if they will be releasing a standalone Sequel Trilogy on 4K BD set? I can’t watch the SE version of the original trilogy. I would go to the Despecialized versions or 35mm rip. Hell I’d even watch old fuzzy laserdisc rips. I don’t like the CGI version of Yoda in Phantom either so will stick to my old DVD or laserdisc.
KeyserSoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 11:30   #13
cliff homewood
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jockosjungle View Post
I wonder where

Mandalorian
Ewoks Animated
Droids Animated

Fit in overall
What about the ewok movie and Ewoks battle of Endor? Two star wars movies often forgotten it seems!
cliff homewood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2020, 11:33   #14
oldskool
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliff homewood View Post
What about the ewok movie and Ewoks battle of Endor? Two star wars movies often forgotten it seems!
love me some caravan of courage!!!

plus of course the holiday special
oldskool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2020, 12:05   #15
ascender
Trusted User

Lockdown had already driven us to this!
  • Phantom Menace is still pretty bad, but has a couple of decent sections - pod racing & end dual.
  • Attack of the Clones is just as terrible as you remember.
  • Revenge of the Sith was pretty enjoyable for the most part.

My over-riding impression of those three, apart from the terrible dialogue, is that the VFX (which have aged terribly) let George Lucas take the great concept art that has always been a part of Star Wars and just put it on the screen verbatim. Job done.

Rogue One was really enjoyable, its a pretty damn good film in its own right, but in Star Wars terms is right up there with the best.

Star Wars and Empire are great, ROTJ is pretty good. They're all pretty much as I (fondly) remember them.

The Force Awakens is rollocking good fun.

I think I enjoyed The Last Jedi a bit more than when I did in the cinema, but I find the MCU-style humour really grating and just totally out of place. There's always been wise-cracking characters, but this stuff just makes me think someone said "Marvel movies balance humour & serious stuff really well, let's do that".

The Rise of Skywalker is still a confusing shambles of a movie which tries to please the fanboys while being a total missed opportunity to do something different and follow-through on some of those ideas from TLJ. By not having the courage of their convictions, its a half-assed mess. Again, they seemed to try and do what Marvel have done with some fan service moments, but something clearly got lost in translation.

Argh, am feeling the nerd rage rising. WTF was the point of the Knights of Ren? How is Rey so powerful? Why are so many characters sidelined? Why is so much unexplained (unless you read the SW tweets which try and explain the unexplainable...)? Poor Carrie Fisher. etc etc.

Might watch Solo later as I'm sure its not as bad as its continued reputation says, but we then watched The Mandalorian which was great fun. It captures the feel of that episodic, swashbuckling series that Lucas & Spielberg often referenced when it came to Star Wars & Indiana Jones.

Last edited by ascender; 13-05-2020 at 12:10.
ascender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2020, 12:18   #16
shteve
[o]EvilTwinkle

Pretty much agree with that, though the last time I tried to watch RotS I stopped it after about 30 minutes. Like a lot of the prequel trilogy, it feels like I'm watching someone else playing a computer game. Not because of the SFX, but because of the number of random platforms that seem to exist for characters to jump to/from fall on, conveyor belts etc. No real reason for them to be in the film, just something to reference as a level in the game.
ascender (13-05-2020)
Old 13-05-2020, 13:24   #17
ascender
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by shteve View Post
Pretty much agree with that, though the last time I tried to watch RotS I stopped it after about 30 minutes. Like a lot of the prequel trilogy, it feels like I'm watching someone else playing a computer game. Not because of the SFX, but because of the number of random platforms that seem to exist for characters to jump to/from fall on, conveyor belts etc. No real reason for them to be in the film, just something to reference as a level in the game.
The opening chase in Attack of the Clones is straight out of a video game. I know what you mean about the platform thing, that's a big part of the prequels. I guess some of the Indiana Jones sequences are almost similar.

The VFX really has aged terribly though both in terms of how things look and also the total lack of weight/heft to any of the CGI stuff that's getting thrown around the screen.
ascender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2020, 13:51   #18
mjb1975
Blandiblub

General Grievous still looks awesome though.
Old 14-05-2020, 15:14   #19
ColinP
Egomaniac / Snowflake

Thanked 1,522 Times in 737 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascender View Post
Might watch Solo later as I'm sure its not as bad as its continued reputation says, but we then watched The Mandalorian which was great fun. It captures the feel of that episodic, swashbuckling series that Lucas & Spielberg often referenced when it came to Star Wars & Indiana Jones.
Solo is great fun. Genuinely a highlight of the Disney years that was damaged more by terrible release timing and people expecting a disaster following troubled production than the actual end product.

The cast is good, the story is good, the humour is good - just a shame that it leaves some dangling plot threads that may never get resolved.
Old 14-05-2020, 17:17   #20
Raigmore
Ambassador to Earth

Solo is good but should have been much better. They had the chance to make the much waited for Kessel Run into an epic sequence and blew it. And the Darth Maul angle at the end was just needless and stupid.

More than anything else, I wish they had chosen some other female lead than the exceedingly annoying Emilia Clarke.

TLJ remains the worst film of the saga followed by AOTC.

I don't care for Kid Anakin in TPM but the movie as a phone had some great moments - the pod race and especially introduction of R2D2.
Raigmore is offline   Reply With Quote