What were the last 3 films you watched: Thread 3 - Page 5 - Forums @ The Digital Fix

Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Film Discussion

Old 27-11-2012, 10:13   #81
Wowbagger
Don't tell him, Pike

Brave. Pixar's barrel may be generally stuffed with high quality goods but this lies comfortably at the bottom of it*. Pretty little computer highlands and bagpipes aren't enough, and you'd have thought that two directors and four writers could have come up with engaging characters and an interesting story.

The Amazing Spider-Man. Far too early for a reboot/make, and the world doesn't need any more comic book heroes, apart from the latest batfilm I haven't seen yet, but not bad for all that. Garfield does internal struggle better than Maguire, and pop-eyed frog lookalike Stone is infinitely cuter than frumpy Dunst.

The Outlaw Josey Wales. Chief Dan George steal film from white man.

(* - I haven't seen Cars 2)
Wowbagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2012, 10:24   #82
George vader
"You lied to me first!"

The Imposter-a documentary you'll watch thinking "surely this can't be real!" 4/5

Stolen-more nonsense starring Nick Cage and directed by Con Air helmer Simon West 2/5

End Of Watch-the trailer doesn't give this fine cop drama jusice, one of the movies of the year 4.5/5
Old 27-11-2012, 12:06   #83
SimonI
Rude Mechanical

Thunderball (BD): More casual violence and sex with - maybe - tongue in cheek. Would this survive Savillgate these days?!

The Master (cinema): Great performances from Phoenix, Hoffman and Adams; gorgeous cinematography; great period settings; rather disturbing

Cave of Forgotten Dreams (BD rental): Beautiful and not entirely what I expected... very interesting Q&A on disk with Herzhog.
Old 29-11-2012, 13:41   #84
Wowbagger
Don't tell him, Pike

The Man With the Golden Gun. I'm doing all Bond blu-rays at the rate of roughly one a week to take me up to the release of Skyfall. This is the second noticeable dip in quality (after Diamonds), and I'm not so sure I like Old Roger as Bond at all now. Second film in and he's already looking stiff and too old. It's a rocky road till Dalton.

Deep Rising. Grand brainless B-monster shenanigans on cheap-as-chips but perfectly acceptable blu. Top fun.

Flight of the Navigator. Nowt dates a fillum like classic 80s synth, but this time-travel adventure generally finds a soft spot in the hearts of those who saw it in that decade. People like me. Also nice to see S-J Parker in the days before she looked like an airbrushed foot.
Old 29-11-2012, 14:33   #85
SIMON ADEBISI

You've still to re-watch The Spy Who Loved Me & For Your Eyes Only. Easily Moore's 2 best ones. I love Octopussy too but ive a feeling im alone there
SIMON ADEBISI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2012, 14:51   #86
Wowbagger
Don't tell him, Pike

Yes it'll be Spy this weekend which is more fun. Worth it just for the pre-credits, and Jaws makes up for Babs Bach. Roger has his moments, but not overall my favourite 007.
Old 01-12-2012, 11:28   #87
George vader
"You lied to me first!"

Universal Soldier 4 Day Of Reckoning 1/5

Hick 3/5

Half Baked 2/5
Old 02-12-2012, 13:26   #88
SimonI
Rude Mechanical

Frankenweenie (cinema): Very good but not sure I'd be bothered seeing it again.

The Muppets (BD): Excellent, very funny and clever, good songs; could've done with more Muppet routines in the show. Love the spoof trailers.

Pirates of the Caribbean 1 (BD): OK if you take your brain out!
SimonI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 14:10   #89
Guest 752
Trussed User

Berberian Sound Studio (Cinema) Second time round that I have watched this on the big screen. It is a beautifully constructed ode t earlier times in genre film making and a celebration of the artistry of the Foley department. The enigmatic story, particulalry i the final real rewards subsequent viewings. Can"t wait to see this again when it hits Blu at the end of the year.

Cassadaga (German Blu) This film played Glasgow Fright Fest back in February. I think its a perfectly solid genre film with a few good scares along the way. Hang around until the end of the credits for a bonus scene.

Tetsuo 2 (UK Blu) Perhaps more accesible than the original Tetsuo film it explores very similar themes about identity in an age of machines. I miss the rawness of the original. The directors most recent work Kotoko is now available on Blu well worth watching if you want something to take the happiness out of the impending Christmas season.

Last edited by SShaw; 02-12-2012 at 14:12.
Guest 752 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 14:28   #90
SIMON ADEBISI

Bloody Moon. Definitely one of the lesser nasties and best left to memory. Crap gore, crap acting, crap everything.

Pusher. Not bad but not as good as the original. Richard Coyle was oddly sympathetic as the lead.

Raiders Of The Lost Ark. Stone cold classic.
Old 02-12-2012, 21:22   #91
Graham Smith
Trusted User

Octopussy - better than I remember; Live & Let Die - not as good as I remember; From Russia With Love - as good as I remember, in top three Bond films.
Graham Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 10:33   #92
Wowbagger
Don't tell him, Pike

Rare Exports. Festive Finnish fantasy fun given a new sheen of topical freakiness this year (involves leering, naked old men preying on children).

Freight. A running battle between rock 'ard diamond geezers and shady Russmanians. You don't steal Don Beech's mobile toilets and expect to get away with it. Watched it because an artist chum of mine did some set-painting work. Might have been mindlessly entertaining, given the high body count, but scuppered mainly by utterly nonsensical continuity.

Carry on Spying. In which a dashing agent saves the day by keeping the British end up, pulling it out, and lying down so Agent XXX can have a look at it. Released theatrically as 'The Spy Who Loved Me'.
Old 03-12-2012, 12:58   #93
Soprano
Walking the line

End of Watch - One of the years best. 9/10

Three Days of the Condor - Enjoyable 70's spy hokum. I've never seen Faye Dunaway looking so lovely. 7/10

Amazing Spider-man Not amazing at all. Quite boring at times and all shot in the dark. Parker didnt like the mask on it felt too. One of the years big let downs 5/10
Old 03-12-2012, 13:05   #94
SimonI
Rude Mechanical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wowbagger View Post
...Carry on Spying. In which a dashing agent saves the day by keeping the British end up, pulling it out, and lying down so Agent XXX can have a look at it. Released theatrically as 'The Spy Who Loved Me'.
Old 06-12-2012, 07:15   #95
rustybin
Xbox/PSN Tag: Rustybin69

The Untouchables - Classic

Jaws 2 - a little dull.

Rise of the Guardians (3D) - Desperately average. Really disappointed in this. The first half is just boring and it comes to life a little towards the end but too little too late. It's not funny. At all. Not in the same league as Arthur Christmas. The 3D was good though and I'm sure younger children would find something to enjoy.
rustybin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 10:31   #96
Wilson
Spam Spam Eggs n Spam

Batman - TDKR - worst of the three, bizzare plot points, wtf was it with banes voice, how did he get so plummy living in a pit, did he go to eton once he climbed out? and surely you could find a plank of wood to bridge the gap since there's no guards there watching what your up to or even just tack that rope across bit by bit , we're both hyper trained ninjas so lets just stand toe to toe punching each other!, why dont you wear an arm band to inject the pain relief, did they pull your lips off while you were down there? just an annoying film in general 5/10

Zombie 108 - Ive seen some weird low budget asian horror films before but this is just off the scale. Still fun though in an odd way 8/10

Ghost in the Shell 2.0 Awesome but over too quickly, not knowing much about manga it just seemed to be an edited version of a series. 9/10
Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 10:44   #97
Guest 752
Trussed User

Baytown Outlaws (German Blu Steelbook) Nothing original here, but after a few beers it is a great deal of silly fun.

Chronos (UK Blu) Brilliant first film from del Toro. I think I enjoy it more each time I see it. Recommended.

Grabbers (German Blu) Saw this at the beginning of the Summer in Edinburgh. My first rewatch and it remains fun. Recommended.
Guest 752 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 10:55   #98
SIMON ADEBISI

The Master - The film was good, lost its way near the end but Hoffman & Phoenix deserve a joint oscar for best actor. They were brilliant.

Sightseers - Hilariously dark. The Power Of Love will never be better used in a film.

Seven Psychopaths - Very funny but very messy. The graveyard scene and Rockwell's Farrell impression is probably the funniest scene of the year.
Old 09-12-2012, 11:12   #99
aprout
worn to perfection

Location: Come out to the coast, we'll get together, have a few laughs
McBain - Christopher Walken saves Colombia with little more than an uzi & some high-waisted trousers. Great fun & some decent action stuff. Surprised to read in the credits it came out in 1991 as the whole thing feels completely mid-80s.

Madman - Allegedly 'classic' 80s slasher movie. Quite nicely shot, but horribly acted by an incredibly ugly bunch of teens & has some of the worst, most grating music (& songs sung by the cast!) I've ever heard in a horror film. Lost count of the number of times they used the same dummy for decapitated members of the cast.

Alex Cross - Matthew Fox: Good. Everything else: Meh. See review in relevant thread.
aprout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 17:59   #100
Raigmore
Ambassador to Earth

Fail Safe: Coming as it did on the heels of Dr Strangelove, this brilliant and serious film depicting the horror of accidental nuclear war suffered at the box office and with some critics. But IMO Fail Safe is the greater of the two films, although Kubrick's spoof remains more watchable. Fail Safe has brillaint acting by all involved and riveting atmospheric tension throughout. 8.5/10

Duel: Spielberg's first and probably his best film, made on a bargain basement budget but with great imagination and style. Dennis Weaver is perfect as the timid everyman terrorised by the unseen truck driver on a lonely highway. 8/10

Intruders: I caught this on Sky last night and considering the lukewarm reviews, I did not expect much. But it turned out to be a very cleverly made psychological thriller the ethos of which seems to gone above several heads, considering the comments about 'poor CGI' etc. The central idea has an unexpected twist that I missed till the last 20 minutes of the film. 8/10
Raigmore is offline   Reply With Quote