Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Film Discussion

Old 14-12-2005, 11:38   #1
Guest 54829
Trusted User

Name of an old B/W film - Horror / Thriller based on an Island

Hello,

I'm trying to remember the title of an old Black & White horror/thriller film. I think it was British made, but I haven't seen it on the TV for an age. From what i can remember, there are about 10 people on an Island (they each came across by boat) and one by one, they are killed. It has a twist in the ending, where the killer pretends to be dead, before attempting to kill the last person - but of course, they get caught. There recently was a Sherlock Holmes film on, that had a similiar plot, but this is not it and was not based on an island.

thank you in advance,

Phil.
Guest 54829 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2005, 12:14   #2
Guest 52145
Big Damn Hero

A stab in the dark, since I haven't seen it myself, but your description sounds like it could be And Then There Were None (1945)?
Guest 52145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2005, 12:41   #3
Guest 54829
Trusted User

and then there were none - DVD releases???

Hello,

yes that seems to be so. It would certainly be the 1945 film that I want to get.

I see there is 3 different releases in the US

Vci Video
Image Entertainment
Madacy Records

I've also found a region 2 release in the UK

MPIC VIDEO, PINNACLE VISION
(New Digital Transfer) - 2002

Now which one do I get - which has the best transfer and would be the best quality for video and audio???

thank you,

Phil.
Old 14-12-2005, 12:54   #4
Guest 52145
Big Damn Hero

Check out Rewind for a quick comparison of releases. According to them,

R1 Image release has the best image and audio quality. (Note that all editions of the film have some imperfections of one form or another. Short of a full digital restoration of the film, this is to be expected.)

The Image disc seems quite pricey. It's available here and here.

Again, I don't own any of these discs and can't comment, so make your own judgement on the above.

Last edited by jackal; 14-12-2005 at 12:58.
Guest 52145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2005, 13:32   #5
Guest 54829
Trusted User

why is R1 superior - excuse my naivety
Old 14-12-2005, 13:49   #6
John Hodson
Out to lunch...

In this case And Then There Were None, like a number of classics, has entered the public domain; any old company can, (and has) pick it up, possibly copied it from a TV broadcast and slapped it on disc. Image and VCI are among the better companies when it comes to giving films of this nature decent treatment (they at least try and find film elements that haven't been dragged through a hedge backwards) but it's very rare to find anything approaching the quality found when a decent studio unearths original elements from its vaults and sets about a transfer.

While a studio may still own good elements of a PD film, they may be reluctant to produce their own version after all the commercial 'juice' has been sucked out of it. (Thankfully, Paramount gambled successfully to produce a superb DVD of the much copied McLintock!)

The same sad state of affairs afflicts a film with a similar plot; The Cat and The Canary. It's a crying shame.

But why is R1 superior? Well, they aren't every time (and I won't go into the whole PAL speedup, NTSC/PAL debate here), but in general, R1 releases seem to have that little bit extra, be it a slightly better transfer, better art, better sound (space reasons allied to a couldn't care less attitude means that less R2 discs have an original mono sound option), better extras. Use Rewind to check out differences on discs you fancy, or just ask here - I'm sure someone will help.

Last edited by John Hodson; 14-12-2005 at 14:06.
John Hodson is offline   Reply With Quote