Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Film Discussion

Old 11-03-2005, 09:14   #1
Guest 195
Harvester of the sea

HD - Stopped buying DVDs yet?

I'm sure I'm not alone but I know many will disagree.

Current wants include Spiderman 2, Bourne Supremacy, Collateral, the Matrix trilogy and The Incredibles. In the case of the first two, part of me fancies a trilogy boxset anyway... but they all scream "HD! HD!" at me, and it's not like I'll get round to watching them before Christmas anyway.

So I think I'm holding off until I can have them in HD glory. Anyone else in a similar boat?
Guest 195 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 09:29   #2
john316
XBL: morro316

Erm, no!

Don't fancy spending the £2000+ buying a new TV or projector plus the HD DVD player is not exactly what I want. I'll wait till I can buy an equivalent HDTV replacement for my Tosh 42" RPTV for about £800 and the HD-DVD/Blu Ray player for about £200
john316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 09:59   #3
Guest 31331
Just call me LUX, serious

no still buying DVD and a lot.

the format hasn't even been launched yet.

And I'm buying a new TV next month and it will be a standard 100Hz CRT. And then in a few years when HD is there and setup and prices are OK and don't require I sell my body parts, then I'll get into HD.
Guest 31331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 10:13   #4
Guest 2817
An Apathetic Nihilist

I think I'll stick to my recreational addiction with dvd right now and over time become dependant and move on to the harder stuff.
HD is harcore and I don't want to jump right in, I'll take it easy and try not to give in to peer pressure because thats how you get hooked and in over your head.

It could lead to crime, living in a hovel with nothing but your HD collection and a big ****** off tv to get you through the long and lonely days.

R.
Guest 2817 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 10:14   #5
HenryKrinkle
Clean, like my conscience

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Whitaker
I'm sure I'm not alone but I know many will disagree.

Current wants include Spiderman 2, Bourne Supremacy, Collateral, the Matrix trilogy and The Incredibles. In the case of the first two, part of me fancies a trilogy boxset anyway... but they all scream "HD! HD!" at me, and it's not like I'll get round to watching them before Christmas anyway.

So I think I'm holding off until I can have them in HD glory. Anyone else in a similar boat?
...that's just barmy matey

...I watch my films on a supermarket player, piped through a proj borrowed from work (more a data proj than AV really), onto a home made 7' wide screen...it's pretty darn great. I am saving up for some new kit and it's probably sensible to include HD in the equation, but I'm not putting my life on hold for the sake of HDDVD & BluRay...what if it's delayed? What if the studios are unhappy about copy protection problems?? What if, just before they release anything worth buying, Super HDDVD is announced???

...live for today my friend
Old 11-03-2005, 10:19   #6
Guest 42788
Banned

I have T2, TCM (2003) and Underworld on the way. Even on just a 17" TFT the picture is so impressive as to make HD a viable option now.
Guest 42788 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 10:22   #7
Guest 195
Harvester of the sea

I suppose I should add that I have 40 DVDs of FILMS I've never seen once, so that'll keep me happy until way into the new year. My projector is hooked up to my PC and can do 720p and 1080i so as long as I can use a VGA out from a PC-based drive, I'll be happy. It just seems like those films, which would cost me up to £100, would only be things I'd want to re-buy, so why waste money now?
Guest 195 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 10:25   #8
Jez
Ellis Retire!

No thinks! Have over 200 which i know aint a lot to what some people have.

I thought HD players would be backwards so, can still play all my old ones?

Who has the biggest collection of dvd's on the forums by the way, anyone know?
Jez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 10:41   #9
Guest 40710
Tormented Soul

My habit of purchasing DVDs has hastened/accelerated, and I am getting poorer.
Guest 40710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 10:42   #10
Guest 20056
Trusted User

Stop buying DVD which are more exepensive than £7 / 10 Euros not because of HD but because I think DVD above £7 are not worth the price.

At the end of the day a DVD is not a CD as you are more likely to watch it only once.

Last edited by Butch Coolidge; 11-03-2005 at 10:42.
Guest 20056 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 11:30   #11
MrSynner
Fear the puppet!

HD looks good, but don't forget, although HD-DVD (awful name btw - very clumsy) launches later this year, there's also Blu-ray, due next year. So there's no point waiting for HD yet, as you've got at least another year or two to wait after that until the format war is over - if by some fluke there's a winner, it will be so battered and beaten as it may not last long anyway.

We all know that when there are two competing formats, neither wins (the VHS/Betamax war notwithstanding). All recent format wars have left us, the public, with neither format - there was DCC/Minidisc - both died - DVD-Audio/SACD - both are pretty much dead - I don't see a HD-DVD/Blu-ray war being any different.

As for who has the largest collection, do we really want to start that sort of willy-waving? I've never actually counted how many titles I have - probably somewhere into four figures, but only me and my bank manager really care!
MrSynner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 11:34   #12
thescrounger
Trusted User

HD is likely something I wont adopt until one of the two formats seems established. Until then normal DVDs will still look great using HDMI.
thescrounger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 11:34   #13
Guest 17238
Hey Ho Lets Go

Yeah, I decided not to upgrade my non animorphic "English Patient" DVD - just stick with it 'till HD comes along. But i don't think I'd avoid buying something I want to watch now.
Guest 17238 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 12:13   #14
Roberto
OMG! it's full of stars!

I was a very early adopter of DVD in 98. it was a huge risk and i don't think i'll do that again. i spent the best part of £500 on a dvd player a paid £15 for the Batman DVD! Nowaday due to the likes of HMV and Virgin there really no excuse to pay more the a tenner for a single movie and box sets are even better value! And i'm not going to notice any difference on my regular TV which i'm really happy with.
Old 11-03-2005, 12:55   #15
redmosquito
Trusted User

Aren't Sony releaseing the PS3 with a blue-ray drive, we all know how well that will sell so there will millions of blu-ray drives on the market once PS3 is out, I think that'll give it the edge also I was under the impression that most of the electrical producers of goods were behind blu-ray, with only really toshiba and somebody else behind hd-dvd. But I know very little about this stuff so am probably wrong, somebody care to fill me in? Plus blu-ray is a much better name

For me i'll continue buying dvds because i've always been a lover of movies and have stayed away from all the other stuff pretty much.

Last edited by redmosquito; 11-03-2005 at 12:55.
redmosquito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 12:59   #16
Niceguygeoff
I Do Deny Them My Essence

I'm definitely going to hold off buying further re-releases on DVD in most cases (like the remastered Bond films when they finally arrive), but for new movies or titles that I don't yet own I'll gladly go for the DVD. Anyway, the future of HD on disc is looking decidedly iffy with the impending format war. Movie nuts face the prospect of owning two separate machines to support two different formats, and until a victor is decided (or at least looking likely) I won't be getting into either format. I've got a small amount of HD software on DVHS to tide me over, and until the situation is more certain, regular DVDs will do me just fine.

Last edited by Niceguygeoff; 11-03-2005 at 13:00.
Niceguygeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 13:13   #17
Richie
Trusted User

I was one of those 'early adopters' of dvd in '98 as well.
I don't have the hardware (either via a player or PC) the funds or the inclination to go HD anytime in the near future. I watch and buy far more 'tv on dvd' than anything else these days because frankly lots of tv series are now on a par with (and in some cases much, much better!) than the best movies being made!
dvd will be fine for me for the foreseeable future until HD is affordable, widely available and the current format war is well and truly over!
Richie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 13:21   #18
Philc
Cock

Yes movies are good in HD but sport Mmmmmmm Football and Basketball at HD is the most amazing eyecandy I have ever seen. Take or leave films as I watch alot at the cinema and that's superior resolution anyway.
Philc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 13:29   #19
Guest 28903
Banned

From what I've seen of the titles to be released first most looked to be catalogue titles.....some of these movies are old and who really needs to see 'Above the Law' (Nico) in HD anyway.....I can understand brand new movies being released on the format where every effort has been made to keep resolution high....On some of the creeky old movies I own I really don't think HD would be advisable....the trade up in resolution would need significant remastering and the end result would be almost fake....kind of like edge enhancement on some DVDs.

I think for the most part the HD format will be something for the rich or those early adopters who need eveything straight away......So I guess its DVD for me for sometime to come.....
Guest 28903 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 13:36   #20
SimonI
Rude Mechanical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch Coolidge
At the end of the day a DVD is not a CD as you are more likely to watch it only once.
I only buy a DVD if I think I'm going to watch it more than once... OTOH, my unwatched pile is so large maybe I never will

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSynner
DVD-Audio/SACD - both are pretty much dead
I think format wars leading to the death of both partners was true when the physical form of the media was different, but with all laser-based systems using the same size of disk we will simply see multi-format players; after all, I don't have either a DVD-A or an SACD player yet I have several of these disks in my collection.

As to the original post - no