Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Gadgets and Gizmos > Home Entertainment Hardware forum

Old 24-05-2020, 09:38   #1
Raigmore
Ambassador to Earth

Sky Q & Powerline Adapters

We have had Sky Q for over 3 months a 2 TB main box & 3 mini-boxes - and in that time not one of the mini boxes worked properly despite the fact that we do not have any wifi devices that might cause interference. The usual issue was an error message about a connectivity problem despite the Sky Broadband Hub router and Sky booster showing 3 green lights all the time. Of course, the hardwired Sky Main box worked perfectly all the time.

We did countless reboots (which usually solved the issue but for no more than a few hours at a time), several talked-through system scans and have had 2 engineer visits. They could not even find the cause of the problem, let alone solve it. Sky did offer free hardwiring of all 3 mini boxes to the router, but the L-shaped layout of the flat meant too much drilling and cable pulling through awkward places and spaces.

In desperation I decided to try Powerline Adapters. Sky were very evasive about whether they would work but after I practically threatened them with an official complaint, a senior tech admitted that they would work. So I invested on a Devolo 1200+ master plug and 3 slaves and had them installed 2 days ago. Since then, everything has worked perfectly.

For information of anyone else with a similar problem, I have plugged the 'master' adapter to the Sky broadband hub router by a Cat 6 ethernet cable and the router to the Sky main box likewise. Each of the 3 mini boxes is connected to a 'slave' adapter plug by a Cat 6 ethernet cable. Most importantly, I then turned off the WiFi in all 3 of the mini boxes.
Raigmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2020, 10:09   #2
CLH
La Bender

That said, I cannot get any powerline adapters to work with my Sky Q broadband router.
CLH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2020, 10:50   #3
basegreen
neergesab

I tried this with same problem and still get problems.

Although I haven’t turned WiFi off.
basegreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2020, 11:13   #4
scoobyood
Tony Danza

Thanked 1,305 Times in 650 Posts
Sky Q uses its own powerline protocol. It's not compatible with the HomePlug AV standard. However its pretty much the same frequency. So Sky Q and any other powerline adapters will conflict when on the same ring main. Total boneheaded proprietary nonsense from Sky. Whatever marketing advantage they perceive this has, it's cost them 10x Ł in support calls.
Basically means you either use only Sky Q PL devices, or if you want to use your own and extend the network, you HAVE to disable power line networking on the router and all other Sky devices.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
scoobyood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2020, 12:16   #5
The Bear
Old-gold and black member

Thanked 1,635 Times in 542 Posts
Strange. I've been using Powerlines for donkeys years with various Sky and BT routers. When I upgraded to my SkyQ box I just plugged the ethernet cable in and it worked (from BT router). No-one suggested it wouldn't.
The Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2020, 12:25   #6
scoobyood
Tony Danza

Thanked 1,305 Times in 650 Posts
Maybe they default the powerline to off on Q router now then?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
scoobyood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2020, 12:46   #7
Raigmore
Ambassador to Earth

Three things.

1. My friend, who is a computer engineer, had fitted Devolo 1200+ Powerline adapters to our desktops; the master adapter is connected to the Sky Broadband Hub router. He remotely programmed the 3 slave connectors to be compatible before I connected them.

2. He had warned me that the wifi function in the sky mini boxes have to be turned off to make the powerline connection work properly. Otherwise, the boxes will keep bouncing back to wifi of their own accord.

3. The slave adapters have TWO ethernet ports. I connected one to the mini box and the other two the TV via Cat 6 cable. Then set the TV's own network setting to use Wired LAN and not wifi. This is imporatnt to ensure integrated TV programmes like Netflix (which can also be accessed thru Sky, of course), Amazon Prime, You Tube Channel, Google Play etc work properly.

Last edited by Raigmore; 24-05-2020 at 12:47.
Old 24-05-2020, 20:04   #8
aliman5000
Clown X

Something I can relate to...sort of!

I’ve got BT broadband and Sky Q, starting with an Airport router and now BT Smart Hub the only way the Sky Q box has ever successfully connected is through the use of (BT supplied) power line adapters.

Something about the way Sky Q creates its own WiFi system via the Q boxes means any other router I have tried just won’t connect to it over wireless, the main box has to be hard wired.

That said when the main Q box is wired the mini box has always worked just fine wireless.

The only way I could connect the main Q box via wireless was when the Sky Engineer installing reverted to putting in a Sky wireless router into my existing network. However I didn’t want a second router plugged in simply to service the Q box.

I have read reports of successful wireless connections to the Q box without Sky broadband or equipment, but no matter what tweaks I have made (including to the Q ‘hidden’ menus) it just won’t connect via wireless.

To the OP, you may find that with the Q box hard wired the mini boxes work fine over wireless.
Old 24-05-2020, 20:19   #9
Raigmore
Ambassador to Earth

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliman5000 View Post

To the OP, you may find that with the Q box hard wired the mini boxes work fine over wireless.
The L-shaped layout of out flat, "fitting" into another similar one (both flats together form a rectangle) and solid internal walls would make hardwiring very difficult. Our master bedroom is further away from my broadband hub than the other flat's lounge. There is no direct access even through the eaves. We have already spent too much on interior decorating after moving in 4 months ago and don't want to redo it.

Anyway, the Powerline Adapters are working very well......so far.
Old 24-05-2020, 20:21   #10
aliman5000
Clown X

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raigmore View Post
The L-shaped layout of out flat, "fitting" into another similar one (both flats together form a rectangle) and solid internal walls would make hardwiring very difficult. Our master bedroom is further away from my broadband hub than the other flat's lounge. There is no direct access even through the eaves. We have already spent too much on interior decorating after moving in 4 months ago and don't want to redo it.

Anyway, the Powerline Adapters are working very well......so far.

Apologies by hard wired I meant via power line adapters. If your main Q box is connected via power line the mini boxes may work fine via wireless - this is how mine is working.
Raigmore (24-05-2020)
Old 25-05-2020, 10:08   #11
AndyWilson
--------old-geek

Ditto - I had planned to hard (or power line) my mini box too but it works fine wirelessly so if it ain’t broke...
AndyWilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2020, 12:02   #12
AdamBrunt
Trusted User

So does Sky Q ( with mini boxes ) effectively give you HDMI over IP ?

Or is it only transmitting the satellite signal to the minibox rather than an HDMI signal?
AdamBrunt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2020, 12:59   #13
AndyWilson
--------old-geek

Not sure what exactly the signal is, but it transmits content over Wi-Fi from the main box to the mini, independent of what the main box is doing at the time. The content can be any live channel, anything recorded on the main box etc. The mini can also connect to Netflix, YouTube, Disney+ etc but not sure if that’s directly or via the main box.
AndyWilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2020, 16:13   #14
aliman5000
Clown X

Well inspired buy this thread and due to the fact I hadn’t tried in a while, I gave wireless on the Q box another go today...and after it thought about connecting for about a minute, it worked!

The mini box needed a power cord out and back in again to kick start the connection to the Q box properly but that too is now working wirelessly as before.

Guess I will see how long it lasts!
Old 25-05-2020, 16:24   #15
Raigmore
Ambassador to Earth

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyWilson View Post
Not sure what exactly the signal is, but it transmits content over Wi-Fi from the main box to the mini, independent of what the main box is doing at the time. The content can be any live channel, anything recorded on the main box etc. The mini can also connect to Netflix, YouTube, Disney+ etc but not sure if that’s directly or via the main box.
A settings check on each of the mini-boxes connected through powerline adapters showed that they are all connected to the Sky main box. The option was ticked.

As before, the Main Sky box has to remain in the standby mode (unless being used, of course) to make the mini boxes work. Switching off the Sky Q main box stops Sky Q from working.
Old 13-06-2020, 11:37   #16
AdamBrunt
Trusted User

Quote:
Apologies by hard wired I meant via power line adapters. If your main Q box is connected via power line the mini boxes may work fine via wireless - this is how mine is working.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyWilson View Post
Ditto - I had planned to hard (or power line) my mini box too but it works fine wirelessly so if it ain’t broke...
So ... if you have the Sky Q main box hard wired ( cat6 or powerline ) to your WiFi router then the mini boxes should see it over WiFi ?

Also - does this work with any WiFi router / MESH system or does it have to be a Sky one ?
Old 13-06-2020, 11:41   #17
The Bear
Old-gold and black member

Thanked 1,635 Times in 542 Posts
I think so yes. My SkyQ box puts out a WiFi SSID even though its hard wired via Powerlines.

And my router is the latest BT Infinity one. My larger devices connect via ethernet, and all mobile devices via WiFi.
The Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2020, 11:43   #18
aliman5000
Clown X

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamBrunt View Post
So ... if you have the Sky Q main box hard wired ( cat6 or powerline ) to your WiFi router then the mini boxes should see it over WiFi ?

Also - does this work with any WiFi router / MESH system or does it have to be a Sky one ?

Sky Q main box wired via powerline to any broadband router.

The Q box creates its own WiFi network which the mini boxes connect to. So providing your Sky Q main box has a working connection the mini boxes will work fine.
Old 13-06-2020, 11:51   #19
AdamBrunt
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bear View Post
I think so yes. My SkyQ box puts out a WiFi SSID even though its hard wired via Powerlines.

And my router is the latest BT Infinity one. My larger devices connect via ethernet, and all mobile devices via WiFi.
Quote:
Sky Q main box wired via powerline to any broadband router.

The Q box creates its own WiFi network which the mini boxes connect to. So providing your Sky Q main box has a working connection the mini boxes will work fine.
Ah OK.

So the mini boxes connect to the Sky Q main box SSID and NOT your normal router's SSID ?

Not sure that will work for me as the reason we switched to a MESH system was poor WiFi signal where the mini boxes would be
Old 13-06-2020, 11:52   #20
aliman5000
Clown X

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamBrunt View Post
Ah OK.

So the mini boxes connect to the Sky Q main box SSID and NOT your normal router's SSID ?

Not sure that will work for me as the reason we switched to a MESH system was poor WiFi signal where the mini boxes would be

It’s worth a try at least, otherwise mini boxes can be connected via powerline too.