Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Film Discussion

Old 14-05-2020, 21:54   #21
jockosjungle
Alone in the Atlantic

Thanked 1,269 Times in 900 Posts
Enjoyed Solo, not sure why it did so badly. I guess people really aren't ready for four Star Wars movies a year, they're more of a 3 times in a generation thing.

Last Jedi, I'm getting used to it now, but I can't really understand why they let the director do what he did. The whole thing seems to be played for laughs, the basic premise "wouldn't it be funny if Luke didn't want to know after they spent the last movie looking for him". If TFA was a remake of ANH, TLJ was a remake of half of Empire.

I think the last one zips along at a nice pace, but repeated viewings does show the holes. In all honesty the whole trilogy never seemed planned as a trilogy, what was the point of Snoke at all? I guess there is a story in the whole thing, basically they never really destroyed the Emperor (although that could have done with some sort of explanation without reading a book. He got chucked down a big hole and regardless of where the hole ended up, the bottom of the hole got blown up five minutes later.
jockosjungle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2020, 07:01   #22
shteve
[o]EvilTwinkle

I think there was meant to be a story arc with Snoke as the big bad, but TLJ broke that (for a laugh). RoS just throws so much action at you, hoping you won't see how pointless it is. I did enjoy Solo though.
Old 15-05-2020, 09:47   #23
Spaceranger2001
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jockosjungle View Post
Enjoyed Solo, not sure why it did so badly. I guess people really aren't ready for four Star Wars movies a year, they're more of a 3 times in a generation thing.

Last Jedi, I'm getting used to it now, but I can't really understand why they let the director do what he did. The whole thing seems to be played for laughs, the basic premise "wouldn't it be funny if Luke didn't want to know after they spent the last movie looking for him". If TFA was a remake of ANH, TLJ was a remake of half of Empire.

I think the last one zips along at a nice pace, but repeated viewings does show the holes. In all honesty the whole trilogy never seemed planned as a trilogy, what was the point of Snoke at all? I guess there is a story in the whole thing, basically they never really destroyed the Emperor (although that could have done with some sort of explanation without reading a book. He got chucked down a big hole and regardless of where the hole ended up, the bottom of the hole got blown up five minutes later.
Solo wasn't bad but the picture in some parts is quite murky. Plus GOT girl is no actress and felt shoe horned in.

KK and RJs politics played a big part in why TLJ is the way it is

Both should never have been let near SW.
Spaceranger2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked once by:
Raigmore (15-05-2020)
Old 15-05-2020, 14:11   #24
KeyserSoze
Trusted User

I didn’t quite enjoy Rogue One as much on second viewing. Solo held up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceranger2001 View Post
Solo wasn't bad but the picture in some parts is quite murky.
The worst part of what is a hugely fun movie. Apparently the HDR version looks slightly better than standard Blu-Ray. Might need to preview it on D+. Wish they’d stuck to shooting on film like the sequel trilogy. Or do what they did with a Rogue One and make it look like film.
KeyserSoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2020, 14:30   #25
mjb1975
Blandiblub

One thing I did love in TLJ - and still do after multiple re-watches - is the Snoke throne room sabre battle with the red guards and Rey/Ren. Love the slow mo start, the choreography, new ways of using the sabres, etc. Awesome.
Old 15-05-2020, 14:52   #26
Nige
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceranger2001 View Post
KK and RJs politics played a big part in why TLJ is the way it is.
Can you elaborate on that? I thought TLJ was just how RJ wanted it to be, obviously KK had to approve but I am intrigued what you've heard.
Old 15-05-2020, 21:12   #27
Spaceranger2001
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nige View Post
Can you elaborate on that? I thought TLJ was just how RJ wanted it to be, obviously KK had to approve but I am intrigued what you've heard.
KK's and RJ share the same politcs (identity and gender) thats probably why he had little trouble making the TLJ unlike solo's directors and the rise of skywalker debacle.

KK went out of her way to say that force is female, men are portrayed as either bad or stupid to make women look better by comparison. Trash and kill off the old guard or make them out to be nothing like they were. Rose's little speech on how war is bad and people make profit; plus they hurt the space camels; there is slavery and inequality. They gave a new character one of the most preachy and uncessary bits of dialogue in the history of the movies and poor girl suffered the backlash fot it (which was totally inexcusable- blame the writers and producers and director not the poor sod that has to say this crap)

Sorry I don't want preachy social commentary gender and identity driven star wars I want action, escapism and a good story, which TLJ did not provide.

A slow uncessery chase coupled with a pointless standoff and a forgettable sidequest that acomplished nothing

The three new characters

finn - sidelined from the rest of the new trio for most of the film

Rey - no development she is powerful in the force awakens and is even more powerfull without luke's help

Poe - Cocky super pilot reduced to making a crap joke and goes against orders turning a mission into a sucide run then trys his hand at mutiny. Only to see him back down to leia and purple lady you can almost see the moment he gets his balls cut off.

Evil ginger guy - totally useless listens to someone taking the **** without shooting him down. Totally incompetent in the deployment of military assets. Vader killed many a subordinate for far less.

Luke - reduced to a nasty old man

Leia - elevated to super being able to survive an explosion and decompression into outer space and can fly ffs

Purple lady - rather than tell one of her best pilots what the **** is going on decided to keep him in the dark causing him to waste value time and effort leading a mutiny

But if you enjoyed it thats great too, but this is not Star Wars its Disney Star Wars with extra saccharine and box ticking.

Last edited by Spaceranger2001; 16-05-2020 at 11:21.
Spaceranger2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked once by:
Goooner1 (16-05-2020)
Old 16-05-2020, 09:58   #28
allan
Trusted User

Don't forget the "Imperial Guards" that have weapons that randomly disappear mid shot!
allan is offline   Reply With Quote