Brosnan Bond no more - Page 9 - Forums @ The Digital Fix

Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Film Discussion

Old 06-12-2004, 08:22   #161
CLH
La Bender

Quote:
Originally Posted by thescrounger
What I mean is Bond is not black and Shaft is not white. I don't agree with people changing key points about characters. Should Bonds favourite drink be changed to a Bacardi and coke? No of course it shouldn't. It wouldn't be Bond, would it.
No, it wouldn't but acting is about conveying Bondness. If Salmon could convey that it matters not about pre-judging it on the basis of skin colour.

I tend to agree that audiences will find it difficult to accept. In fact they probably won't but let's be clear about WHY they're having that difficulty.
CLH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2004, 12:34   #162
Guest 3460
fallen english gent

For me, the key issue with this whole Salmon/Bond debate is not whether 007 should turn black, but is this: why aren’t there enough major headlining characters created for black/ethnic actors in Hollywood movies today anyway?

It’s a sad state of affairs when the only black action hero that springs to mind is Shaft, and that’s after 20+ years! Most (if not all) of the major screen action heroes are white, from Bond to Indy to McClane to Superman, etc. Why can’t Hollywood invest in creating such imaginative characters for non-white actors? Surely, there’s a big enough audience out there? The success of Will Smith proves that, surely?

Okay, I’m white, English, thirty-something and a Bond fan so my natural instinct would be to resist such a radical alteration to a character that has been defined in literature for over 50 years. But I know that my step-son, who IS black, would LOVE to have as cool a filmic role model as Bond or Indy.

This whole Salmon/Bond debate looks to have been a publicity stunt anyway, if you believe more recent newspaper articles, but it’s a shame, to me, that the media has become so fixated on the single ‘Black Bond’ issue that they’ve missed the wider picture.
Guest 3460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2004, 12:39   #163
gavinhanly
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by gooseUK
It’s a sad state of affairs when the only black action hero that springs to mind is Shaft, and that’s after 20+ years! Most (if not all) of the major screen action heroes are white, from Bond to Indy to McClane to Superman, etc. Why can’t Hollywood invest in creating such imaginative characters for non-white actors? Surely, there’s a big enough audience out there? The success of Will Smith proves that, surely?
Well we do have Blade - but not much beyond that.
Old 23-04-2020, 16:41   #164
scoobyood
Tony Danza

Thanked 1,318 Times in 658 Posts
scoobyood is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked once by:
Chris Locke (14-05-2020)