Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Gadgets and Gizmos > Mobile Phone and Satellite Navigation Forum

Old 06-11-2017, 19:44   #1
basegreen
neergesab

iPhone X

Had mine since Friday, thought I'd make a pros and cons list. Anyone else got one?

Build Quality is great in general. Having come from an 8 Plus, the smaller size takes some getting used to, but getting used to it now. FaceID works really, really well and I can't really fault it in any way. Occasionally it doesn't quite pick you up but it's rare.

Quite hard to demo as it works best when using it without thinking about it - as soon as you try and tilt the screen to show someone it works less effectively. It saves a lot of unlock time versus TouchID as when you get notifications, swiping them is all you need to do - with fingerprint you swipe and then press after - can't really combine the two like you can with FaceID. Apple Pay works well - paid for something on Etsy earlier on my laptop and phone lit up and verified me by facial recognition. Pretty neat.

Don't miss the home button whatsoever - that was my other worry really. I had to use the 8 for a while earlier, and I kept swiping not pressing (already) so that'll be something we will look back on and not miss I think.

The battery life is roughly the same as my 8 plus, which is great as would have missed the extra power versus the normal sized phone.

Not seeing much of a difference with the OLED screen vs the iPhone 8 Plus. The notch doesn't bother me whatsoever - in fact it sort of adds some interest to the shape of the screen area.

iOS 11 still has a few bugs (couldn't restore my iCloud backup as messages crashes), and still get some weirdness in iMessage apps from time to time.

Last edited by basegreen; 20-11-2017 at 13:18.
basegreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2017, 18:57   #2
pigpicker
Too Orangey for Crows!

Thanks for that.

My ‘6’ has started to go reeeaally slow since iOS 11 and will look to upgrade to the X shortly so that was useful.

What do you reckon the chances are of 5% off this coming Black Friday?!?
pigpicker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2017, 21:58   #3
basegreen
neergesab

Zero chance of a discount other than some airtime deal
Old 20-11-2017, 12:58   #4
pigpicker
Too Orangey for Crows!

Yea - my feelings too!
pigpicker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2017, 13:20   #5
basegreen
neergesab

A while in, and everything is still OK.

There's times when I miss the reassurance of the larger battery* (safari is a particular battery hog currently) but I'm always getting through the day.

Any issues with a notch, or face id long gone - its just seamless. V few apps now aren't compatible, and last couple of iOS updates squashed some of my bugs.

Actually the X has more mAH than the 8 plus, but seems like it drains more.
Old 20-11-2017, 19:21   #6
riz1
Trusted User

I waited until it came out to get hands on and preferred it over the Galaxy s8 so ordered one a week ago.
Just got the message from Vodafone that stocks are low so still another 10 days wait at least.
Well I’ve waited 5 years (still on my Nokia 930 windows phone) so hey ho.....
Old 23-05-2020, 06:46   #7
dunkle
Trusted User

Excuse the bump

Can anyone recommend me a quality case and screen protector for an x
I’ve been using a wallet cover for years with my phones as some time back I dropped my phone onto a gravel drive and shattered the screen in multiple places

However the wallet cover is not great for photos as the pics, especially in low light, pick up the hue of the cover

Any suggestions grateful
dunkle is offline   Reply With Quote