Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Television Discussion

Old 21-05-2020, 19:37   #381
Chris Locke
Making a 1% improvement

Thanked 1,665 Times in 555 Posts
Aah, thought it must have been mentioned - we only came across it by accident after trying to find something to watch, and found (only through S2 at the moment) some episodes quite gripping. When I checked, S1 was from 2014! Other parts are a bit meh though...
Chris Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2020, 12:16   #382
driver8
eviscerate your memory

Thanked 2,418 Times in 1,031 Posts
Better Things S4 - I really enjoy this, and it hasn't suffered since Louis CK's writing departure. Much more a family drama than a traditional comedy, with lots of time to breathe. Many excellent scenes, although it does occasionally miss (or is that just me? I'm thinking Sam playing the piano, and chasing her Mum at the card game). 8/10

Curb Your Enthusiasm S10 - so many outrageous LOL moments, although it often does feel too contrived (as usual) despite the apparent improv. The last few episodes seemed to run out of LOL steam to rush the story arc and squeeze in the celeb cameos. 8/10

The Mandalorian - high expectations, and didn't disappoint. Despite the smaller scale, more enjoyable overall than the films VII-IX. (Shame there's so little 'alien' interaction in VII-IX). Quite involving and binge-worthy, despite the family rating. Great visuals (watch large) although the audio lacks the usual SW musical score. 9/10

The Walking Dead S10 - I ended up FFg through some scenes, and I've not done that since the farm. All the usual criticisms apply, including how everyone is still way too fat, and how unbelievable the Whisperers are (eat/sleep/devotion?). Shame the writers don't know how to use the Carol character, but Michonne was the standout for me.
driver8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2020, 12:37   #383
basegreen
neergesab

Curb had some real highlights. The whole spite store theme was very funny.
basegreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2020, 09:23   #384
jockosjungle
Alone in the Atlantic

Thanked 1,267 Times in 898 Posts
Anyone watching Avenue 5? We get it here in the Falklands, I've been perservering but I'm not really finding it funny or enjoying the story.
jockosjungle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2020, 09:33   #385
driver8
eviscerate your memory

How far are you in ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by imdb
The fourth episode was the game changer, the first decent one with a few laughs. The next three eps offered a definitive upward momentum in terms of storytelling and humor.
Old 29-05-2020, 09:35   #386
zantarous
Xbox Live tag: wargame

Quote:
Originally Posted by jockosjungle View Post
Anyone watching Avenue 5? We get it here in the Falklands, I've been perservering but I'm not really finding it funny or enjoying the story.
Think I am up to 6 or 7 and pretty much the same, something is missing. No where near as good as Veep, a few funny moments but overall just boring.
zantarous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2020, 10:57   #387
mikef
Trusted User

I'm really enjoying 'Emergence' on Sky/NOW...I know its lightweight but its a pleasant relief after Gangs of London...
mikef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2020, 13:18   #388
cliff homewood
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by zantarous View Post
Think I am up to 6 or 7 and pretty much the same, something is missing. No where near as good as Veep, a few funny moments but overall just boring.
I agree, I dragged myself through it as I love SF but only enjoyed two eps, pt 2 and one of the last ones. Won't be bothering with season 2 unless I hear its have a great turn around of quality. I've always found Ianuccis stuff hit and miss.
cliff homewood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2020, 20:17   #389
cjanderson
2 phalanxs and a catapult

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikef View Post
I'm really enjoying 'Emergence' on Sky/NOW...I know its lightweight but its a pleasant relief after Gangs of London...

I watched the first few as appreciate any tv that puts a non glam middle aged lady as the lead but it’s stacking up on the sky box now. I think it’s been cancelled in us now so that’s a shame, hopefully it’s concluded.

Just finished season 2 of the rookie, really like that cop show, good range of characters in it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
cjanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2020, 21:35   #390
Bish

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjanderson View Post
I watched the first few as appreciate any tv that puts a non glam middle aged lady as the lead but it’s stacking up on the sky box now. I think it’s been cancelled in us now so that’s a shame, hopefully it’s concluded.
I was tempted to watch this as I like Allison Tolman but will see if it ends on a cliffhanger now.
Old 30-05-2020, 14:29   #391
aprout
worn to perfection

Location: Come out to the coast, we'll get together, have a few laughs
Binged the final season of Arrow yesterday. Very enjoyable for the most part & a step up from the last couple of seasons. Lots of fan service in there, but the action was taken up a notch, it was good to see the return of some familiar faces, & the final episode was nicely done.

On the downside, the future flashforwards that started in Season 7 were even more tedious than the old Island flashbacks used to be (though the point of them finally paid off), & the decision to put a (not very) stealth pilot for a 2040 spin-off as episode 9 - after the end of Crisis on Infinite Earths &
- was just bizarre.

& speaking of spin-offs, I guess we can expect John Diggle as
somewhere down the line in the DCTV universe...
aprout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2020, 16:21   #392
jockosjungle
Alone in the Atlantic

Thanked 1,267 Times in 898 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zantarous View Post
Think I am about the same, seems to be pretty juvenile humour (floating turds) and just seems to be a knock-off of red dwarf. We only get one channel as a best of everthing that isn't ITV, C4 or BBC where we get the basic channels. This is on it, so I've kept recording and watching it. I'm just wondering if its really going anywhere except watching everyone complaining all the time.
jockosjungle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2020, 14:44   #393
driver8
eviscerate your memory

Better Call Saul (S5) - the depth of understanding and empathy we have towards the characters is superb, the dialogue is gripping, and I think I'm in love with Kim . 9/10

Tiger King - high expectations, and it didn't disappoint. At the end of ep1 you think you've seen it all, and wonder where it can go next ... then ep2 knocks things out of the park! Ep5 isn't quite as good, but eps 6-7 are a bit too chopped up, confusing and repetitive and (which would work better when viewed 1/week). Plenty extra background reading (major spoilers) such as (1) Big Cats, (2) Oxygen, and (3) Carole (with loads more links). 7½/10
Old 01-06-2020, 19:55   #394
Bish

Quote:
Originally Posted by aprout View Post
Binged the final season of Arrow yesterday. :
I've not even started it and not sure I ever will, I really struggled with the last few season of this, the Flash & Legends. I can't even be bothered to work out what order to watch them due to the crossovers.
Old 02-06-2020, 09:38   #395
aprout
worn to perfection

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bish View Post
I've not even started it and not sure I ever will, I really struggled with the last few season of this, the Flash & Legends. I can't even be bothered to work out what order to watch them due to the crossovers.
Quite understandable. The previous couple of seasons of Arrow were background noise TV at best.

I was up to date on Flash & Legends, but ended up watching the Crisis on Infinite Earths crossover before I even started Arrow's final season or the lead ups on Supergirl & Batwoman. Didn't make much of a difference! Probably the best crossover they've done so far, & this one actually seems like it'll have a lasting effect on the whole DCTV universe.
Old 02-06-2020, 15:25   #396
shteve
[o]EvilTwinkle

Quote:
Originally Posted by aprout View Post
Quite understandable. The previous couple of seasons of Arrow were background noise TV at best.

I was up to date on Flash & Legends, but ended up watching the Crisis on Infinite Earths crossover before I even started Arrow's final season or the lead ups on Supergirl & Batwoman. Didn't make much of a difference! Probably the best crossover they've done so far, & this one actually seems like it'll have a lasting effect on the whole DCTV universe.
I canned Flash once they became managed by a 3rd rate reporter with nothing to add to the team whatsoever. Arrow was a background show, Legends was awesome. All I've seen of Supergirl and Batwoman have been the crossovers, and there was nothing really there to make we want to watch any more.

Final series of Arrow was pretty good, though could have done with it ending an episode earlier and not shoehorning in the trailer for a different series.

I did stop watching Legends as I think I was a bit DC'ed out, but started again and it is still great fun. Easily the best as it knows not to take itself even slightly seriously.
Old 10-06-2020, 10:09   #397
aprout
worn to perfection

The Flash actor Hartley Sawyer (Ralph Dibny) has been fired for some inappropriate tweets he posted in 2012, found by a disgruntled fan who didn't like his character.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-52976556