Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Television Discussion

Old 16-02-2005, 22:03   #1
jpig
Trusted User

The Apprentice - BBC 2

Just finished watching this - thought it was excellent. Alan Sugar has to wittle down 14 city-types to choose his 'apprentice'.

Tonight's episode was everything you want from reality TV - the girls team started turning on each other towards the end, and there was a real 'bitchy' undercurrent to it too.

I think Adenyke was probably the right person to get the 'sack' at the end - but the one who annoyed me most was the girls team leader - HOW ANNOYING WAS SHE?
jpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2005, 22:11   #2
hr100
This is me !

The most annoying was that Tory bloke ! He was so wet ! Cant see him lasting long !

HR
hr100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2005, 22:15   #3
bruce-leroy
Servicer of old boilers

I found it to be very entertaining. Much better than that big brother rubbish.
bruce-leroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2005, 22:17   #4
Floop
Medium Sized Member

I enjoyed this show too, despite the fact that I really didn't want to enjoy it :-)

I thought Saira could be condescending but she worked at making a plan, she slogged away at it, she had the flexibility to make changes when her initial plans weren't working, and I think she is one of the few from the women's team who can be proud of her achievements.

The rest of the girls team, it seems, got up in the morning having completely forgotten their agreed plans from the night before and started off coming up with their own harebrained schemes and getting shirty with Saira when she tried to rein them back to what they had agreed.

The boys team gelled much better, except for the paunchy bloke who I felt sorry for because he won't last long. They used their strengths, the Paul guy was a diamong geezar! I loved his Irish wife and his Polish aunt, he had pretty good patter :-)

Alan Sugar though... it all looks so set up, the way he walks through into the boardroom and sits down on his throne. I wanted to know what he was doing in the room behind, was it really a room, or a cupboard.

All in all, right person got fired, I hope Miranda gets of her prissy high horse and moves on.

Favourite to win today: Paul

Floop

Last edited by Floop; 16-02-2005 at 22:17.
Floop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2005, 22:29   #5
mattymoo
Gamertag: stevie40

That has just earned a place on the Sky programme planner. Fantastic TV.

Alans two aides impressed me. He obviously knows how to pick his staff. At first the lady reminded me of some old dear from accounts dept but when she rounded on one of the contestants in the boardroom. Excellent stuff.
mattymoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2005, 23:04   #6
Guest 3758
Gibbon Lookalike

POOR MAN's TRUMP !!

Laughable !!

Last edited by Philipio; 16-02-2005 at 23:05.
Guest 3758 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2005, 23:06   #7
Guest 2292
Charlatan

Excellent show, really enjoyed it. The guys did brilliant. Alan Sugar was very entertaining and came across as a very shrewd bloke.I felt Miranda should have went as she did panic and sold at a loss very early.
Guest 2292 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2005, 23:23   #8
36Degrees
Njósnavélin

Compared to US Apprentice, rubbish, still worth a watch and discussion though.

"I haven't lost any medals" - class =)
36Degrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2005, 23:24   #9
MarkR
Gamertag : Richo the Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philipio
POOR MAN's TRUMP !!

Laughable !!
I have seen all the U.S. episodes aired so far and I have to say I was sceptical as to what the U.K. version would be like.
I must say that apart from the prize being a £100,000 salary (which being in London is relatively nowt compared to the $1,000,000 salary in the U.S.) that I was pleasantly surprised at how good it was.
I was actually liking Sugar's manner a bit more than Trump's at times. Also a plus point is that it is an hour long rather than the 40ish minutes in the U.S.
MarkR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2005, 00:06   #10
Guest 35671
Trusted User

This UK version is not as polished as the Trump original although the producers did try with aerial shots of London and its modest skyscrapers. I do think they have done a good job but feel the original is better. To correct another poster, the US Apprentice runs for 47/48 minutes not 40ish.
Guest 35671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2005, 01:40   #11
soldave
Big in Japan

You'll have to keep me informed about how this goes, as I enjoy watching the US version of The Apprentice, but can't watch this one. Was immediately put off by Alan Sugar being the main guy in it, but most people seem to think he did ok.
soldave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2005, 01:47   #12
36Degrees
Njósnavélin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkR
I have seen all the U.S. episodes aired so far and I have to say I was sceptical as to what the U.K. version would be like.
I must say that apart from the prize being a £100,000 salary (which being in London is relatively nowt compared to the $1,000,000 salary in the U.S.) that I was pleasantly surprised at how good it was.
I was actually liking Sugar's manner a bit more than Trump's at times. Also a plus point is that it is an hour long rather than the 40ish minutes in the U.S.
American one is a "six-figure salary" which I think in the finale was revealed to be $100,000, so this one is worth more theoetically, the idea is that a prize working as an "Apprentice" of Donald Trump sets you in higher regard in the work place than someone else, i.e. it isn't about the money.

S1 finale of Apprentice (US)
36Degrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2005, 03:05   #13
Richie
Trusted User

S1 of the US original was edge of the seat stuff, thanks to being unbelievably slick and pacy especially at the end of each episode as the returning players go back to the apartment as the dun dun da da dun dun music plays!
This UK version has frankly none of that high drama and is really rather dreary in it's execution. Alan Sugar has the charisma of a used mop. Yawn!

Last edited by Richie; 17-02-2005 at 03:06.
Richie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2005, 04:33   #14
Guest 2241
Trusted User

The presentation needs a lot of work to match the US version but it's still pretty good, it just reminded me of most other BBC shows. Why have a narrator? Just show us rather than tell us. Also Sir Alan could have been a bit cleaner with his speaches.
Guest 2241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2005, 07:58   #15
Danimal
asleep, in a flowerbed

" I do not think I sold 60 flowers I know did"

what a blatant liar she was.

'So you think it's a good strategy to wake up funeral directors at midnight to sell them £80 worth of flowers?'

GAME OVER
Danimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2005, 08:03   #16
Floop
Medium Sized Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danimal
'So you think it's a good strategy to wake up funeral directors at midnight to sell them £80 worth of flowers?'
...oh but that was only ONE of her MANY INTELLIGENT SUGGESTIONSS
Old 17-02-2005, 08:42   #17
Hoskas
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floop
...oh but that was only ONE of her MANY INTELLIGENT SUGGESTIONSS

was probobly the only thing that saved the blonde girl who was absolutely knuckleheaded when she sold up at a loss so early. She didnt impress sugar with that.

Question is tho, why ?

I think it was because she didnt trust Saira to come up with a winning plan and did what any salesman would do. Get something for the stock that has no value at all tomorrow.
Old 17-02-2005, 09:11   #18
Lemm
Achtung Baby!

Saira's selling technique reminded me of the "lucky lucky" men in Tenerife, grabbing people on the street harrassing them until they caved in and bought some flowers.

What exactly was her "strategy"? She kept mentioning it throughout the show and moaning that the others weren't going along with it, but it was never actually apparent to me what it actually was.
Lemm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2005, 09:20   #19
Floop
Medium Sized Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemm
Saira's selling technique reminded me of the "lucky lucky" men in Tenerife, grabbing people on the street harrassing them until they caved in and bought some flowers.
I know, it was desperate wasn't it. Then again, Paul's "lie through your teeth to make a sale pitches" were also quite desperate but hey, both methods succeeded. Paul was acting calmer though, with Saira you could see the desperation in her eyes :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemm
What exactly was her "strategy"? She kept mentioning it throughout the show and moaning that the others weren't going along with it, but it was never actually apparent to me what it actually was.
That is a very good point and one which cuts to the heart of all this BS. Her strategy was, get some flowers at a good price, then try and sell them. There was nothing else to her strategy but amazingly, I'm ashamed to admit, I did not pick up on this until you mentioned it. Goes to show how vacuous some business speak is, but also I suppose shows how susceptible dummies like myself are to believing it, if it is said forcefully enough.

Floop
Old 17-02-2005, 10:27   #20
Guest 35671
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by soldave
You'll have to keep me informed about how this goes, as I enjoy watching the US version of The Apprentice, but can't watch this one. Was immediately put off by Alan Sugar being the main guy in it, but most people seem to think he did ok.
Check the official site.

www.bbc.co.uk/apprentice

It currently has video of the first firing and a video teaser for episode 2.
Guest 35671 is offline   Reply With Quote