Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Film Discussion

Old 06-04-2008, 09:30   #1
JoelCairo
Trusted User

Charlton Heston - R. I. P.

It has just been announced that Charlton Heston has died at age 83.

I take it for granted that lovers of classic movies recognise Charlton Heston's contribution to English-language cinema culture. Admittedly, and he did himself admit it, he was lucky that at the beginning of his career he made two films with Cecil B. DeMille. As Heston himself put it "if you can't make it with two DeMilles, you'll never make it."

For a long time Heston was not granted appropriate credit for his work by many critics, professional and amateur. I suspect this ties in with the point Derek Elley makes in his classic book The Epic Film that many critics might be very knowledgeable about fashionable aspects of movies yet be totally ignorant about history, The Bible and The Classics. Heston himself made the point more than once in interviews that in many ways it is far more difficult to play "big" characters against a big canvas than to play in small tense dramas.

Heston's place in history is assured because he appeared in so many movies that will alway be revived or watched on DVD and, I assume, soon on high definition discs.
JoelCairo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 09:49   #2
Livius
Is it far?

It seems there's more sad news every day.
Chuck's another big loss to cinema and I've been a great fan of his for about as long as I can remember. I'd just been commenting elsewhere the other day that lots of critics liked to belittle his acting talents, but his was a powerful presence in the movies and always gave me pleasure to watch.
RIP
Old 06-04-2008, 09:56   #3
Guest 24656
Banned

Location: Back Home In God's Own County Of Yorkshire, so the yokels tell me any way
RIP

An iconic legend, who was only slightly when it came to the NRA

Last edited by simonmac; 06-04-2008 at 09:56.
Guest 24656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 10:31   #4
Guest 10611
http://www.no2id.net

Location: Just found out I'm living in Oceania, thanks Gordon
Anyone grabbed his gun yet?
Guest 10611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 10:34   #5
Guest 52145
Big Damn Hero

With Widmark, this makes two of my very favourite actors gone recently. Ever since childhood, Heston has been one of those actors I'll watch in anything; he could carry a movie with his larger-than-life presence and give it more gravitas than it sometimes deserved. I love his moving scenes with Edward G. Robinson in Soylent Green, and while Planet of the Apes and Ben-Hur are my absolute favourites, it's the cheesy fun of The Omega Man that I'll always remember most fondly. It's probably the first Heston film I saw as a kid, and it caught my imagination right from that opening sequence, with Heston driving through the deserted L.A. streets to Ron Grainer's funky score. Really enjoyed his autobiography a few years back, too. R.I.P. Chuck. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7332960.stm
Guest 52145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 10:56   #6
Guest 24656
Banned

Location: Back Home In God's Own County Of Yorkshire, so the yokels tell me any way
Quote:
Originally Posted by slinky View Post
Guest 24656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 11:05   #7
Livius
Is it far?

Quote:
Originally Posted by slinky View Post

Sad, cheap and tasteless
Old 06-04-2008, 11:10   #8
William Shatners Wig
Senior Toupeč

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livius View Post
Sad, cheap and tasteless
And funny.
William Shatners Wig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 11:20   #9
thescrounger
Trusted User

Heston loved collecting guns, and hated the politically correct lunacy of the last couple of decades. Nowt wrong with that. He also got Ice-T fired from Time Warner, I tip my hat the man.

RIP Heston.

Last edited by thescrounger; 06-04-2008 at 11:21.
thescrounger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 11:40   #10
Shingster
Trusted User

Definitely not a good year for Hollywood with the strike and all these deaths. R.I>P Charlton Heston.

Quote:
Sad, cheap and tasteless
R.I.P Livius' sense of humour.
Shingster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 13:25   #11
Guest 52145
Big Damn Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shingster View Post
R.I.P Livius' sense of humour.
Well mine's obviously died as well, because Livius' comment is exactly what I was thinking.
Guest 52145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 14:01   #12
Guest 52212
Banned

Quote:
Sad, cheap and tasteless
yeah just like his nra rallies right after those kids got slaughtered
Guest 52212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 14:18   #13
Livius
Is it far?

Well, I understood this was a cinema forum where posts were to be dedicated to film related matters.
Clearly, I was mistaken; it's simply another opportunity to make bargain basement cracks at the expense of a man who has only just passed away.
Old 06-04-2008, 14:26   #14
anephric
Kidney Thief

The sad thing, too, about the last few decades of Heston's life is that he simply became synonymous with NRA excesses and was shamelessly paraded as a figurehead by them, when in decades past Heston was the very definition of a Hollywood liberal - a slightly reactionary one, yes, with WASPy family values, but a man who marched with Martin Luther King.

RIP. One of my very favourite screen actors from an early age. His sci-fi golden period is wonderful.

Last edited by anephric; 06-04-2008 at 17:21.
anephric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 14:34   #15
Shingster
Trusted User

God certain members have a got a stick so far up their arse they must be spitting wood. Slinky's gag is hardly that ourageous, and the man lived a fantastic life for 84 years, this isn't exactly the most tragic celebrity death we've had this year. If you just want posters to fawn over the great man's life and death, then I suggest you go visit the memorial threads on his fansites!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Sidious View Post
yeah just like his nra rallies right after those kids got slaughtered
I think you could do with visiting the Bowling For Columbine fact sites.
Here's a relevant quote:

Quote:
At Denver, the NRA cancelled all events (normally several days of committee meetings, sporting events, dinners, and rallies) save the annual members' voting meeting -- that could not be cancelled because the state law governing nonprofits required that it be held. [No way to change location, since under NY law you have to give 10 days' advance notice of that to the members, there were upwards of 4,000,000 members -- and Columbine happened 11 days before the scheduled meeting.] As a newspaper reported:

In a letter to NRA members Wednesday, President Charlton Heston and the group's executive vice president, Wayne LaPierre, said all seminars, workshops, luncheons, exhibits by gun makers and other vendors, and festivities are canceled.

All that's left is a members' reception with Rep. J.C. Watts, R-Okla., and the annual meeting, set for 10 a.m. May 1 in the Colorado Convention Center.

Under its bylaws and New York state law, the NRA must hold an annual meeting.

The NRA convention April 30-May 2 was expected to draw 22,000 members and give the city a $17.9 million economic boost.

"But the tragedy in Littleton last Tuesday calls upon us to take steps, along with dozens of other planned public events, to modify our schedule to show our profound sympathy and respect for the families and communities in the Denver area in their time of great loss," Heston and LaPierre wrote.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anephric View Post
The sad thing, too, about the last few decades of Heston's life is that he simply became synonymous for NRA excesses and was shamelessly paraded as a figurehead by them, when in decades past Heston was the very definition of a Hollywood liberal - a slightly reactionary one, yes, with WASPy family values, but a man who marched with Martin Luthor King.
Indeed, I've already seen many film fans deplore the man's politics on other forums (rather than talk about his films at all) and it's really tragic that they can't or won't spend 5mins with Google to actually learn a bit about his political history.

Last edited by Shingster; 07-04-2008 at 01:32.
Shingster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 15:13   #16
thescrounger
Trusted User

Quote:

Indeed, I've already seen many film fans deplore the man's politics on other forums (rather than talk about his films at all) and it's really tragic that they can't or won't spend 5mins with Google to actually learn a bit about his political history.
Indeed, there's nothing wrong with the majority of his politics. The only controversial element was his belief in the first amendment and the right to bear arms. I doubt he was the only actor in Hollywood to have those same opinions either.
thescrounger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 15:27   #17
Guest 52212
Banned

Quote:
God certain members have a got a stick so far up their arse they must view the world as one giant branch. Slinky's gag is hardly that ourageous, and the man lived a fantastic life for 84 years, this isn't exactly the most tragic celebrity death we've had this year. If you just want posters to fawn over the great man's life and death, then I suggest you go visit the memorial threads on his fansites!

I think you could do with visiting the Bowling For Columbine fact sites.
Here's a relevant quote:

He didnt have to stand there and do his Cold dead hand party piece
Guest 52212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 17:19   #18
Guest 8607
La résistance est futile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Sidious View Post
He didnt have to stand there and do his Cold dead hand party piece
He didn't. Michael Moore used footage of him at another rally in Carolina.

RIP Charlton Heston. Probably comparing notes with Moses right about now.
Guest 8607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 17:48   #19
GregB
Stagger Lee

Quote:
Originally Posted by thescrounger View Post
Heston loved collecting guns, and hated the politically correct lunacy of the last couple of decades. Nowt wrong with that. He also got Ice-T fired from Time Warner, I tip my hat the man.

RIP Heston.
So let me get this right you supported his rights to bear arms but were happy for him to prevent Ice Ts right to freedom of speech? Is that right?

Last edited by GregB; 06-04-2008 at 17:49.
GregB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 18:56   #20
anephric
Kidney Thief

The footage of Heston reading, with a completely straight face, the lyrics to Cop Killer to a load of stuffed-shirt WB shareholders is hilarious. Bless him.