Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Film Discussion

Old 15-01-2006, 14:29   #21
Guest 993
Trusted User

This would be ultimate if they are all anamorphic, feature 5.1/DTS mixes on top of original audio on all the films, extras and commentary on all the films, and improved transfers (from what I understand the R2 transfers of the sequels on the old boxed set aren't too great despite being anamorphic, and the R1s are non-anamorphic). Oh, and ditch the dire 2001 remake.

Looks like these sets are just repackaging of existing discs, not new improved editions. Okay it's everything in one set including TV series, but I've held off buying Planet of the Apes stuff until a decent version is released, and now I'm thinking maybe it's worth holding off for HD anyway like with most things.
Guest 993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2006, 09:27   #22
Guest 52145
Big Damn Hero

Full rundown on the set's contents at DVD Active:

Quote:
Fox Home Entertainment has officially announced the Planet of the Apes: Ultimate DVD Collection, a fourteen-disc package that includes the five original movies, along with all fourteen episodes of the TV show, the animated series, and the 2001 Tim Burton remake. The retail price should be set at around $179.98. Each and every film will carry a new THX enhanced anamorphic widescreen transfer, along with English Dolby Digital 5.1 tracks. We are also able to confirm that the original films will each be available seperately. We've attached the full spec listing below, thanks to our friends at TVShowsOnDVD.com.

Disc One: Planet of the Apes Anniversary
2-Disc version of Planet of the Apes Anniversary DVD
Anamorphic Widescreen with Dolby Surround 5.1 - THX Certified and DTS
Commentary by Composer Jerry Goldsmith and Commentary by Actors Roddy McDowell, Natalie Trundy, Kim Hunter, Make-up Artist John Chambers
Text Commentary by Eric Greene, Author of "Planet of the Apes as American Myth"

Disc Two: Planet of the Apes Anniversary Extras:
Behind the Planet of the Apes Documentary 126 minutes
Behind the Planet of the Apes Promo (1998)
Planet of the Apes Makeup Test with Edward G. Robinson (1966)
Roddy McDowall Home Movies approx. 20 minutes
Planet of the Apes Dailies and Outtakes (no audio)
Planet of the Apes (1967 N.A.T.O. Presentation)
Planet of the Apes Featurette (1968)
A Look Behind the Planet of the Apes (1972)
Don Taylor Directs Escape from the Planet of the Apes
J. Lee Thompson Directs Conquest of the Planet of the Apes
Publicity: Original Theatrical Trailers, Planet of the Apes Teaser Trailer, Planet of the Apes Trailer, Beneath the Planet of the Apes Trailer, Escape from the Planet of the Apes Trailer, Conquest of the Planet of the Apes Trailer, & Battle for the Planet of the Apes Trailer
Film Reviews (1968) including a total of 34 stills
Theatrical Posters 7 static images with 28 seconds audio
Galleries: Original Sketches by Costume Designer Morton Haack 9 stills with 36 second audio & Photo Gallery 17 stills

Disc Three: Beneath the Planet of the Apes
Anamorphic Widescreen and Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround - THX Certified
Special Features include: Cast Page, Trailers for: Planet of the Apes 1968 and 2001, Escape from the planet of the Apes, Conquest of the Planet of the Apes, Battle for the Planet of the Apes, Planet of the Apes Cross-Promo Trailers, Theatrical Trailer, Behind the Scenes Photo Gallery and Web link.

Disc Four: Escape from the Planet of the Apes
Special Features include: Cast Page, Trailers for: Planet of the Apes 1968 and 2001, Escape from the planet of the Apes, Conquest of the Planet of the Apes, Battle for the Planet of the Apes, Planet of the Apes Cross-Promo Trailers, Theatrical Trailer, Don Taylor Directs Escape from Planet of the Apes and Web link.

Disc Five: Conquest for The Planet of the Apes
Special Features include: Cast Page, Trailers for: Planet of the Apes 1968 and 2001, Beneath the Planet of the Apes, Escape from the Planet of the Apes, Battle for the Planet of the Apes, Planet of the Apes Cross-Promo Trailers, Theatrical Trailer, J. Lee Directs Conquest of the Planet of the Apes and Web link.

Disc Six: Battle for The Planet of the Apes
Special Features include: Cast Page, Trailers for: Planet of the Apes 1968 and 2001, Beneath the planet of the Apes, Conquest of the Planet of the Apes, Escape from the Planet of the Apes, Planet of the Apes Cross-Promo Trailers, Theatrical Trailer, Fox Interactive Presents: Behind the Scenes of the Planet of the Apes Game & CD-ROM Content - Self Contained Web Site.

Discs Seven, Eight, Nine & Ten: POTA TV Series
Disc 1 Episodes: Escape from Tomorrow, The Gladiators, The Trap and The Good Seeds.
Disc 2 Episodes: The Legacy, Tomorrow's Tide, The Surgeon and The Dragoons.
Disc 3 Episodes: The Horse Ride, The Interrogation, The Tyrant and The Cure.
Disc 4 Episodes The Liberator and Up Above the World So High.
Selection of TV Spots & Still Photos

Disc Eleven & Twelve: Return to the Planet of the Apes (Animated)
Disc 1 Episodes: Flames of Doom, Escape From Ape City, Lagoon of Peril, Tunnel of Fear, The Unearthly Prophecy, Screaming Wings and Trail to the Unknown.
Disc 2 Episodes: Attack from the Clouds, Mission of Mercy, Invasion of the Underdwellers, Battle of the Titans, Terror on Ice Mountain and River of Flames.

Disc Thirteen & Fourteen: Planet of the Apes (2001)
Disc 1: Enhanced Viewing Mode (interactive versions includes behind the scenes on make-up, special effects, cast/crew, shooting on location), commentary by Tim Burton, Danny Elfman, Tom Rothman, Richard Zanuck, & cast/crew bios.
Disc 2 of Planet of the Apes '01: 23 featurettes, 6 documentaries - "Apes School", "Make-Up Testing", "Costume Testing", "Shooting on Location", "Scoring the Film" and " Ape Movement", 8 interactive multi-angle sequences that "Put you in the Director's Chair", 4 quadangle/4 way audio split vignettes of make-up testing, Apes reactive testing, costume testing, Apes movement/stunt testing, 5 extended scenes, HBO "The Making of" Special, TV spots, Trailers and a music video.
The original film is one of my all time favourites, but I've never really cared for any of the sequels. I always felt they kind of cheapen the original, the budget shrinking with each film while the scripts get worse. Think I'll just stick with my 35th Ann disc.
Guest 52145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2006, 22:28   #23
Spectre07
Trusted User

I bought Planet of the Apes 35th Anniversary Edition late last year to replace the R2 plain vanilla release. I managed to hold out until just before Christmas before I relented and bought the R1 Evolution boxset. Then they announce this. I wasn't too bothered until I saw those specs, anamorphic releases of all the films, will they be released individually?
Spectre07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2006, 08:20   #24
hallanthony
Trusted User

From reading over on the Home Theatre Forums and others it sounds like the films will get separate releases along with the animated Return to the Planet of the Apes, which is what I would like... so unless the films are a dramatic improvement over the already anamorphic R2 releases, I will just buy the animated DVD
hallanthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2006, 09:21   #25
R-T-C
Klaus Kinksi's pet dog

Am I really the only one sorely tempted by the Ape-head boxset?
Old 24-01-2006, 09:38   #26
Guest 52145
Big Damn Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by R-T-C
Am I really the only one sorely tempted by the Ape-head boxset?
Doesn't tempt me at all, although I suppose you could always lop off the top, fill the head with jelly and recreate Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom: "aah, chilled monkey brains!" Fun for about five seconds.
Old 24-01-2006, 11:31   #27
Jonnof
another man's pretentious

No mention if the new Battle transfer will be the extended version (or indeed if any of the other sequels will include alternate and deleted scenes).

I'm guessing not
Jonnof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2006, 17:01   #28
Spectre07
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by hallanthony
From reading over on the Home Theatre Forums and others it sounds like the films will get separate releases along with the animated Return to the Planet of the Apes, which is what I would like... so unless the films are a dramatic improvement over the already anamorphic R2 releases, I will just buy the animated DVD
I read a review comparing the R1 boxset with the R2 boxset and despite the R2 being anamorphic the R1 just edged it on video clarity and detail. I eventually opted for the R1 set as it was much cheaper than the R2. The similarity in the video quality just didn't justify paying the premium for the R2.
Spectre07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2006, 09:45   #29
Guest 2748
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonnof
No mention if the new Battle transfer will be the extended version (or indeed if any of the other sequels will include alternate and deleted scenes).

I'm guessing not
Very doubtful. So many times specs don't tell the whole story but that list is official (the owner of home theatre forums contacted Fox and got the proper press release and answers to a couple of questions).

As far as the original films are concerned it looks very much like the studio are doing a sweep up operation to garner the last lot of sales before hi-def dvd. All that is being provided are anamorphic dvds for films 2-5 (which is a bonus for R1 buyers). That being said stranger things have happened than Fox just use the extended print for Battle without announcing it. But I doubt it.

I've held off on buying any of the films but will probably now get the new R1 legacy set. I'd rather go with buying the five films individually and if they'd used original cover art would have but the one example they've shown so far is pretty poor so will go with the set. Whilst THX remastering can mean precisely nothing the fact that the old letterboxed R1 discs were considered superior to the anamorphic R2s should mean these new discs will be the best.
Guest 2748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2006, 09:58   #30
Jonnof

It's frustrating that Fox's notion of 'ultimate' comes in the form of a naff monkey head rather than a rigorous exhumation of their archive. Don't get me wrong, I fully appreciate which one presents the easier option...

Kind of makes you wish Charles De Lauzirika (the Alien Quadrilogy producer) was a fan...
Old 25-01-2006, 10:27   #31
AndyWilson
--------old-geek

I don't really see how any rigourous exhumation of their archive could produce anything much better than Behind The Planet Of The Apes - in my opinion one of the best "making of" documentaries commited to DVD.

Last edited by AndyWilson; 25-01-2006 at 10:27.
AndyWilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2006, 11:52   #32
Jonnof

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyWilson
in my opinion one of the best "making of" documentaries commited to DVD.
No argument there (though how the same team ended up producing such a bland documentary for the Star Wars set is a mystery).

But I'm thinking in terms of such material as:

Footage from the end of the original Apes which reveals that Nova is pregnant

A scene inside the space capsule from the beginning of Escape

Loads of stuff from Conquest removed to gain a lower rating (the documentary talks about this), including a whole alternate ending

The aforementioned Battle footage, which ties up with Beneath and suggests that someone actually paid cursory attention to continuity...

I'm not saying this is essential (or even interesting) to the casual viewer, but if Fox are going to scrape together everything vaguely ape-related in their existing catalogue and label it 'ultimate', it would be nice to include some extra incentive for the hardcore devotee to upgrade.
Old 25-01-2006, 12:36   #33
Guest 1831
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectre07
I read a review comparing the R1 boxset with the R2 boxset and despite the R2 being anamorphic the R1 just edged it on video clarity and detail. I eventually opted for the R1 set as it was much cheaper than the R2. The similarity in the video quality just didn't justify paying the premium for the R2.
That's waht I did. I hope the anamorphic treatments for the other films are new and not just a retread of the the ones already out. Exception being the first film.
Guest 1831 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 21:12   #34
Guest 52145
Big Damn Hero

From the Bits:

Quote:
We've got some great news for you Planet of the Apes fans. We've learned that 20th Century Fox's new Apes DVD sets, including the Legacy and Ultimate collections and the single disc title as well, will include the longer, 92-minute "extended TV version" of Battle for the Planet of the Apes. The theatrical version (86 minutes) is all that's been available here in the States to this point, but the longer version has been available in Japan previously. Finally, on 3/28, you'll get it here too. Note that we have confirmed this directly with Fox Home Video, so it's the real deal, and it's good news indeed.
Old 09-02-2006, 09:19   #35
Guest 2748
Trusted User

Great news. Thanks jackal. Over on HTF there's speculation from the owner that Fox actually listened to posters' comments and requests for the longer version of Battle, if so kudos to them. Surprise, surprise there are already complaints that it's not the theatrical version but I think Fox have done the right thing here as, once you get past the first two films they are only of real appeal to the fans who I think would put a wish for extra footage much higher than concerns that it wasn't the version that played in cinemas.

Jonnof knows his stuff. I'm very happy to see that I was wrong about my Battle assumption higher up but I think the inclusion of the extended edition is a bonus made possible as it was technically an easy option for Fox (not that they had to do it and I'm very thankful for it). I'm sure the fact that no deleted scenes have been announced in the press release means there wont be any. But you never know.

Last edited by Blofeld; 09-02-2006 at 10:34.
Guest 2748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2006, 09:38   #36
Guest 3460
fallen english gent

For the curious, imdb have a list of missing/cut scenes taken from the old Japanese LD of Battle... I assume these will be in the extended DVD cut?

Alternate version of Battle For The Planet Of The Apes...

The DVD completist in me will probably want to buy the extended stand-alone version to compliment my existing R2 boxset... but then I remind myself that Battle is, imho, a very poor sequel (worst of the bunch) and, therefore, is it really worth it? Maybe I'll wait for the sales to lessen the guilt!
Guest 3460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2006, 20:23   #37
Guest 13833
Trusted User

Likewise, while Battle is by far the worst film in the series (although I do get a guilty pleasure out of it), the extended version will probably end up in my collection at some point (that's if it gets released seperately in R2)
Guest 13833 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2006, 14:33   #38
Guest 52145
Big Damn Hero

DVD Times on the R2 set.
Old 17-02-2006, 13:15   #39
Jonnof

Thanks for the updates folks, I'd kind of given up on this release til now! It seems that purchases of the separate Battle and Return discs are now in order, so perhaps this hasn't been an entirely wasted exercise.

As Blofeld says, Fox have probably had the longer cut of Battle sitting around all along so it probably wasn't that much of a stretch to include it, but a nice gesture all the same.

DVD Pacific have Battle on preorder for about Ł7 here:

Fight like apes!
Old 03-03-2006, 17:32   #40
saltysam
Trusted User

anyone know which supplier is giving the best price on the region 1 head?
saltysam is offline   Reply With Quote