Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Film Discussion

Old 02-02-2004, 16:01   #21
balstino
Toothpick & Two Berettas

Any News on the Laura situation? :confused:
balstino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2004, 16:12   #22
John Hodson
Out to lunch...

None I'm afraid, but then again details of the list for 2004 remains a little sketchy - I'm hopeful we'll see it before the year is out.

---
So many films, so little time...
John Hodson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2004, 20:34   #23

hello peeps look in here
Old 07-02-2004, 22:36   #24
Guest 29
Last Of The Independents

Reviews of Diary of Anne Frank, Ox-Bow Incident and the glorious My Darling Clementine coming soon on DVD Times.

Also, would a review of the R2 How Green Was My Valley be of any interest. I'd love to write about the film but only have the barebones R2 version.
Guest 29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2004, 22:39   #25
John Hodson
Out to lunch...

Quote:
Originally posted by Mike
Also, would a review of the R2 How Green Was My Valley be of any interest. I'd love to write about the film...
...and I for one would love to read it (though the R1 FSC is glorious Mike, buy it!)

---

Last edited by John Hodson; 07-02-2004 at 22:40.
Old 07-02-2004, 22:46   #26
Guest 1472
Trusted User

Quote:
Reviews of Diary of Anne Frank, Ox-Bow Incident and the glorious My Darling Clementine coming soon on DVD Times.

Also, would a review of the R2 How Green Was My Valley be of any interest. I'd love to write about the film but only have the barebones R2 version.
I don't always agree with you but your reviews are always intelligent and of interest to me. And the more Ford the better, so yes please review How Green Was My Valley.

Looking forward to the other 3 reviews anyway.
Guest 1472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2004, 13:30   #27
John Hodson
Out to lunch...

Not under the FSC banner, but Fox are releasing a couple of '60s swashbucklers this April, A High Wind in Jamaica and Pirates of Tortuga - if Power's The Black Swan isn't a Fox Studio Classics release this year I'll eat my plumed, tricorn hat

---
Old 14-02-2004, 21:26   #28
Guest 29
Last Of The Independents

Just invested in the Studio Classics release of "How Green Was My Valley". Stunning

Also saw "Bigger Than Life" on the big screen today in Bradford. A magnificent movie, probably Nicholas Ray's best for my money. I only hope that it's going to appear in the Classics range sooner rather than later.
Old 15-02-2004, 13:19   #29
John Hodson
Out to lunch...

Quote:
Also saw "Bigger Than Life" on the big screen today in Bradford. A magnificent movie, probably Nicholas Ray's best for my money. I only hope that it's going to appear in the Classics range sooner rather than later.

Fox have said recently that they have licensed several (not named thus far) back catalogue titles to Criterion - either would do wouldn't it seeing what reviewers state to be the marvellous job Criterion has done with Fox's Pickup on South Street

---

Last edited by John Hodson; 15-02-2004 at 13:21.
Old 27-02-2004, 22:01   #30
John Hodson
Out to lunch...

May's FSC release will be the Spencer Tracy, Katherine Hepburn film Desk Set, and will be priced - like all in the series are now - at $14.98, so around £5 from many of our favourite online etailers.

Features will be:

Anamorphic Widescreen
English Stereo
English, Spanish and French Mono
English and Spanish subtitles
Audio Commentary by Merrill and Neva Patterson
Designers Inspired For New Creation By Film "Desk Set"
Theatrical trailer
Cross-promotional trailers
Still gallery

EDIT - details and cover shot here

---

Last edited by John Hodson; 27-02-2004 at 22:49.
Old 27-02-2004, 22:07   #31
Guest 20015
The Carpetbagger

Quote:
if Power's The Black Swan isn't a Fox Studio Classics release this year I'll eat my plumed, tricorn hat
I'll take any Tyrone Power release. I'm looking forward to the Noir series, I'm hoping "Laura" will lead it off.

Last edited by Jonas_Cord; 27-02-2004 at 22:08.
Guest 20015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2004, 10:45   #32
John Hodson
Out to lunch...

From thedigitalbits.com:

"We have word that new Studio Classics DVDs for 2004 will include Desk Set (5/4), The Snake Pit (6/1), The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie (7/6) and Zorba the Greek (8/3). All will include audio commentary (Brodie & Zorba are director commentaries) and all SRP for $14.98."

Excellent.

---
Old 05-03-2004, 12:44   #33
Guest 29
Last Of The Independents

Excellent news about The Snake Pit and Zorba. I'm not so delighted about Miss Jean Brodie. Wonderful novel but I can't abide Ronald Neame as a director and the inclusion of the Rod McKuen songs in the final nail in the coffin for me. However, it is - as ever - good to see Fox apparently maintaining the level of quality whatever the films they choose.

As a side-issue, Miss Jean Brodie will be the most recent film included in the FSC series. Wonder if this means we might be getting some of the more interesting Fox movies from the late 60s/early 70s appearing with the same good extras and excellent transfers. How about:

A Walk with Love and Death
Little Murders
The Culpepper Cattle Company
The Heartbreak Kid
Sounder
Harry and Tonto

Well, I can dream...
Old 05-03-2004, 14:13   #34
John Hodson
Out to lunch...

The Heartbreak Kid - I'd never tried pecan pie before I saw that film. Mmmmm - pecan pie...

It would be nice to think those movies would make it as FSC, but I think they are, sad to say, probably well down the list. From recent comments, Fox will only commit to sure commercial successes from their back catalogue. Still, you never know...

I know Neame isn't particularly interestiing, but he's directed Alec Guinness is two terrific performances as Gully Jimson in The Horses Mouth and Major Jock Sinclair in Tunes of Glory.

---
Old 05-03-2004, 16:29   #35
Guest 29
Last Of The Independents

That's true enough about Neame - and "The Odessa File" isn't all that bad either.
Old 29-04-2004, 14:37   #36
John Hodson
Out to lunch...

DVD Savant's review of Desk Set is here.

While I'm here, a bargain heads up for some R2 Fox titles; The Halls of Montezuma, A Yank in The RAF (not available in R1 IIRC) and Twelve O'Clock High, all £4.99 from Sendit.com.

---
Old 29-04-2004, 19:22   #37

Thanks John I'm thinking of ordering The Halls of Montezuma and Twelve O'Clock High. Not familiar with the second film but at £4.99 a pop it won't be a big loss if I don't like it.

At 4.99 the titles are cheap, however the retail price is only £5.99 I hope the films are up to scratch quality wise. Is there any info about these releases?

Oh and here The Cinema Lasers review of The Desk Set

Last edited by Cornelius; 29-04-2004 at 19:27.
Old 29-04-2004, 21:03   #38
John Hodson
Out to lunch...

Do a search at dvd-basen (I think you'll find very postive reviews at www.dvdtalk.com IIRC); both are said to be decent if not absolutely top quality transfers. BTW, there's also The Flight of the Phoenix at £4.99 which is said to be a very good transfer.

---
Old 29-04-2004, 21:45   #39

I already tried DVDBasen and the R1 reviews for The Halls of Montezuma and Twelve O'Clock High were favourable, the transfers whilst not stunning are said to be good with some minor print damage for both. I was wondering if there was anything about these particular releases in R2. Anyhow this all academic with The Flight of the Phoenix also available I couldn't resist an order.

Hopefully the R2's are the same as the R1's and at 4.99 a pop you can't go far wrong.
Old 29-04-2004, 21:52   #40
John Hodson
Out to lunch...

The excellent Twelve O'Clock High and The Flight of The Phoenix for me. I saw Halls of Montezuma recently and although it's an excellent war film, it's unremittingly grim and right now I'm not in the mood!

I rather fancy Tyrone Power's A Yank in the RAF will pitch up in R1, possibly in a more feature rich edition, so I'll keep my powder dry on that one. Cheap eh? But it does beg the question, what price will they be in the sales?

Another BTW for you, did you spot the small price drop at dvdsoon on many titles, so if you have any orders over there...

---