Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Television Discussion

Notices

Old 04-05-2010, 18:59   #121
riz1
Trusted User

I did wonder at that laugh I admit
riz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 19:30   #122
scoobyood
Tony Danza

Thanked 1,054 Times in 526 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold1066 View Post
I can't but there are a couple of instants of these conversations.

Also did anyone else find River Song final scene a bit strange; it seems as though she in a room on her own recording it. The eye contact seemed off and even the conversation with the Dr and Amy didn't seem right; the laugh also seemed false
I mentioned in my review I found her acting stood out in that scene as particularly wooden. But I've since thought that it might be that she was actually on the prison ship (hence the cuffs.. the Doctor wouldn't put those on her) and it's her projection or whatever down on the planet.
scoobyood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 19:55   #123
boonspoon
SILENCE!! I KEEEEL YOU!!

But didn't she "Beam up" with the rest of the clerics at the end too?? If it was just a projection it would have vanished etc...

Plus one of the remaining clerics might have put the cuffs on her, not the Doc.
Old 04-05-2010, 22:20   #124
Guest 58450
Poke Us White Face

I read it as her being incredibly nervous and also careful. She knows what the Doctor has yet to discover about her but she has no idea what her future with him has in store so she doesn't know what to think about what might come. Consider also that he seems to meet her very much in reverse so for all their early (for her) meetings we might assume he has the drop on her and will have been 'in control'. As such we might also consider she's relishing a rare moment of the reverse situation.
Guest 58450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 06:17   #125
new
Sand Dab

I put Rivers reactions in the final scene down to that she know knows whats coming next and its not good, but also knows she cant let the Doctor know to much (a bit like the Doctors reaction to first seeing her in the previous episode, last time he saw here he watched her die and was uncomfortable being around her knowing this). So although she has so much to say and even warn him about she knows she cant so dose not know what to say to him. Likewise when Amy says goodbye to River she looks at her and gives a some what sad "see you Amy" as a response.

In fact other sites have mentioned how under used she was in this episode and was just a background character rather than the full on River we saw last week. Again I put this down to that she started to work out that this was more than just Angels, but the start of events that she has recently seen and no matter how bad they were she is powerless to stop them and must let the them and the Doctor run there natural course no matter how bad the outcome that she has seen. So in short I think her part and performance was intentionally scaled down in this episode due to what is to come.

Re-watched it last night with my son, and Im now 99% sure that the 'madman' referred to a lot in the last episode and once in this (near the start when Bishop is talking to River about trusting the Doctor and him trusting her he says to her "..so he's not a madman then" and says it like he is stating a fact rather than asking a question) is going to be the Doctor.
Also still think its going to be the Doctor she 'kills' as well, perhaps it will be down to him going 'mad'? (just watch me be soooo wrong about all this )

After watching it with my son I asked him how his friends at school like the new Doctor now. He said all his friends now think Doctor 11 is the best, and this coming from a 9 year old who a year ago insisted he would not like or even want to watch Doctor Who once that funny man with no eyebrows takes over.

Last edited by new; 05-05-2010 at 06:22.
new is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 09:38   #126
jpig
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by new View Post
He said all his friends now think Doctor 11 is the best, and this coming from a 9 year old
Those 9 year olds have nailed it. He's only 5 episodes in but it feels like he's been there forever. Shaping up to be one of the best, if not THE best.
jpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 09:57   #127
hookbeak
Poor, poor you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpig View Post
Those 9 year olds have nailed it. He's only 5 episodes in but it feels like he's been there forever. Shaping up to be one of the best, if not THE best.
From mine : My 8 year old still prefers tennant, my 5 year old prefers smith.

I think Smith is superb, although i loved Tennant i think Smith will end up being the better Doctor, although they are so different it's quite hard to compare.

(my 5 year old calls Ecclestone as "the bald doctor", tennant is "the spiky haired doctor" and Smith is "the ugly doctor" - heh)
hookbeak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 16:52   #128
Guest 23929
Xbox - KaRW/ PSN KaRW1

The Daily Mail isnt sure quite what to think. Just look at that cleavage. Look at it!1 Isn't it terrible? Take another look.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz...y-viewing.html

Last edited by KRW; 05-05-2010 at 16:52.
Guest 23929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 17:03   #129
fivebyfive
Leave means lies

Quote:
Last night, fans reacted angrily to what they claim is the 'sexualisation' of the show, saying the material was 'totally inappropriate' for a family drama.

who are these nuts?

edit, reading the gibbering complaints further down, get a life ffs

Last edited by fivebyfive; 05-05-2010 at 17:05.
fivebyfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 17:06   #130
Boink!
Politics, eh?

Thanked 3,411 Times in 1,138 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpig View Post
He's only 5 episodes in but it feels like he's been there forever.
You're right, he does feel right at home with the character.
Boink! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 22:04   #131
Spooky_uk
XBL/PSN : SPOOKYVILLE

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRW View Post
The Daily Mail isnt sure quite what to think. Just look at that cleavage. Look at it!1 Isn't it terrible? Take another look.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz...y-viewing.html

have seen better.
Spooky_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 05:50   #132
new
Sand Dab

Has the Daily Mail ever watched Doctor Who before?
Perhaps they should take a look at the length of the skirts of Liz Shaw and Jo Grant and what Leela wore in the 70's.

The stuff they showed on Saturday would easily be included in a PG film that could have been shown at any time during the day on British TV

Love the balance of complaints mentioned in that article:

Quote:
It comes just a week after more than 5,000 Doctor Who fans complained when a trailer for another TV show was screened over the episode's cliffhanger.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz...#ixzz0n7q2P7kD
against

Quote:
A BBC spokesman confirmed it had received 43 complaints (about the sexing up of Doctor Who), saying: 'Millions of Doctor Who fans watched and enjoyed last Saturday's episode, including the lighthearted and humorous scene in which Amy kissed the Doctor.'

More speculation about the 'hero' that River kills. Some Who sites are starting to speculate that its going to be......

Last edited by new; 06-05-2010 at 06:03.
new is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 11:52   #133
The404
In Stereo Where Available

Quote:
Originally Posted by new View Post
More speculation about the 'hero' that River kills. Some Who sites are starting to speculate that its going to be......
Hmmm, really? I'd put more stock in it being..

..than him.
The404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2010, 21:11   #134
The404
In Stereo Where Available

Quote:
Originally Posted by The404 View Post
One thing I don't understand is, for River, the events in the finale have already happened, including this 'Big bang' which causes the crack but she seems like this is the first she's seen it.

There's a scene involving the Doctor and River when they are walking through the forrest:

River : What's that?
Doctor : Errrr... Readings from the crack in the wall.
River : How could a crack in the wall be the end of the universe?
Doctor : I dunno, but here's what I think; One day there's going to be a very big bang. So big, every moment in history - past, present and future will crack.
River : Is that possible? How?

Now, if River has already experienced this, surely she knows?
Just bumping this as i'm rewatching the season and have just finished watching 'Flesh and Stone' again.

Now, when it originally aired I said that I found it odd that River didn't know what the crack was when the events in F&S were, for her, after the events of the Pandorica. Now, at the time I assumed that River would simply not be around during the events of the crack in the finale, but now that we know she was, and that she knew exactly what the crack was and what it could do,the conversation with the Doctor makes no sense.

You could say that she was playing dumb, but it just doesn't feel like that to me. Why ask "Is that possible? How?" as follow up questions on something she has a better understanding of than the Doctor.

Last edited by The404; 20-07-2010 at 21:13.
The404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2010, 07:40   #135
Guest 58450
Poke Us White Face

Possibly a slip up. She acts like she's not met Amy for the first time either and at that point I was a little dubious.

That said, I didn't think the cracks featured in the finalé episodes at points where River was there, did they? I'd have to watch again to be sure.
Guest 58450 is offline   Reply With Quote