Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Film Discussion

Old 15-02-2010, 14:21   #1
DVDWotcha
OneSock

3D - Dolby vs RealD vs IMAX Digital ?

So I guess most people should have seen a couple of 3D movies now but I'm wondering what the consensus is about which is best ?

I've read a bit of technical stuff on the subject (how each system works) but what are the real life differences.

Personally I've seen Christmas Carol in RealD and Avatar in Dolby 3D. From these two I'd have to say the RealD system seemed to work better. The Dolby system glasses suffer from far too much reflection for my liking where as the simple polarised lenses in the RealD glasses seemed much clearer.

Otherwise they seemed similar. Didn't notice any colour reproduction issues with either although obviously not a direct comparison. Avatar (Dolby 3D) could have done with being a bit brighter though.

I've not seen the IMAX Digital 3D in action but on paper it seems a better format. Dual projectors for the win surely ?
DVDWotcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2010, 14:23   #2
MetalGearAl
Trusted User

Hmm, I thought RealD was the only system and that all the films I'd seen had been shown in it. I saw Avatar, would that definitely have been Dolby 3D, or does it depend on where you go?
MetalGearAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2010, 17:12   #3
captaineyecatch
Slatanic Wehrmacht Capt.

Watched Christmas carol in Imax3d and real3d?(or whatever the normal cinema version is). The BIG imax screen really brings the 3d out.
Now its not really fair as the normal cinema screen is alot smaller but given the choice Imax wins.
Old 15-02-2010, 17:47   #4
Jabbitt
Quick Stop Clerk

I'd say that IMAX 3D wins hands down everytime as its a two projector system. The other two seem to be conversion kits allowing normal cinemas to show digital 3D movies.

Saying that, I'm knocking the other two. I've seen UP in RealD and Avatar in Dolby 3D and was impressed with both. (Although I think that the ReadlD glasses were more comfortable.)
Old 16-02-2010, 09:10   #5
DVDWotcha
OneSock

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalGearAl View Post
Hmm, I thought RealD was the only system and that all the films I'd seen had been shown in it. I saw Avatar, would that definitely have been Dolby 3D, or does it depend on where you go?
In my limited experience RealD was at a Odeon and Dolby 3D at a Vue. Apparently RealD needs a special silver screen so it's likely the cinema would choose either one technology or the other, but I guess not impossible to have both in the same multiplex in different screens.
Old 16-02-2010, 13:47   #6
Guest 31673
Trusted User

My Dad's blind in one eye and having watched a couple of movies in 3D he described it as more like 2.5D for him, as it looked better than without the glasses but not what he considered full 3D.

Is one system better than the others for those blind in one eye?
Guest 31673 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2010, 14:03   #7
scoobyood
Tony Danza

Thanked 1,098 Times in 548 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew WK View Post
My Dad's blind in one eye and having watched a couple of movies in 3D he described it as more like 2.5D for him, as it looked better than without the glasses but not what he considered full 3D.

Is that a serious question? You can't see 3D if you only have one eye. The point of the system is to put a different image into each eye. If you only have one eye then you only get one image... just like when you look at any screen/TV. I hope your dad didn't pay extra to go see a 3D movie, talk about throwing money away.
scoobyood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2010, 14:53   #8
Gobias
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobyood View Post
Is that a serious question? You can't see 3D if you only have one eye. The point of the system is to put a different image into each eye. If you only have one eye then you only get one image... just like when you look at any screen/TV. I hope your dad didn't pay extra to go see a 3D movie, talk about throwing money away.
The glasses would remove one of the images from view so although not 3D he would still benefit from wearing the glasses. Without them it would look like a double-image-ghosted mess. And remember a lot of multi-plexes are only showing this in 3D.

If you close one eye for a moment during a 3D film you can see that its still perfectly watchable, but if you take your glasses off its a mess.
Gobias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2010, 14:58   #9
MetalGearAl
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVDWotcha View Post
In my limited experience RealD was at a Odeon and Dolby 3D at a Vue. Apparently RealD needs a special silver screen so it's likely the cinema would choose either one technology or the other, but I guess not impossible to have both in the same multiplex in different screens.
I've seen 3D films at both Odeon and Vue locally and I'm fairly sure they've all been RealD. At least I think I saw RealD logos on them all and the glasses have been exactly the same.

Up was at Odeon; Coraline, Monsters vs Aliens + Avatar were at the Vue.

One of my points really was if it was dependent on the film or the cinema. i.e. Is Avatar a "Dolby 3D" film, or does it work with any of the screening technologies and it's just dependent on what the cinema uses?
MetalGearAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2010, 16:23   #10
DVDWotcha
OneSock

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalGearAl View Post
One of my points really was if it was dependent on the film or the cinema. i.e. Is Avatar a "Dolby 3D" film, or does it work with any of the screening technologies and it's just dependent on what the cinema uses?
It's definitely screened in both RealD and Dolby 3D so I guess dependent on what a cinema uses.
Old 16-02-2010, 16:37   #11
Mr Majestik
Trusted User

real D for me because the (what ever Odeon Imax use) glasses make you look a right idiot.
Mr Majestik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2010, 20:29   #12
KennyVader
Insomniac

RealD works on alternating polarization and as such requires a silver screen, which keeps the reflected light "narrower" and more in control; this means that the picture quickly looks dull the more you sit off to the side of the screen; and unfortunately most cinemas do not have the facilities or care to fly the silver screen out, so 2D films on the same screen subsequently all look rubbish.

Dolby Digital 3D is based on wavelength-based polarization hence the glasses cost a lot more but they do not suffer so much from your head having to be upright. Also it works on a standard white cinema screen, no need for the special silver screen.

There are quite a few other digital 3D systems but none are as common as Real-D or Dolby.
KennyVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2010, 13:50   #13
Guest 31673
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobias View Post
The glasses would remove one of the images from view so although not 3D he would still benefit from wearing the glasses. Without them it would look like a double-image-ghosted mess. And remember a lot of multi-plexes are only showing this in 3D.

If you close one eye for a moment during a 3D film you can see that its still perfectly watchable, but if you take your glasses off its a mess.
Exactly, this seems to be my Dad's experience.

He could obviously never get any benefit from the old 3D system with the two different coloured lenses, but when we saw Captain EO at Disneyland (which was a completely different system) he says he got the 3D effect.
Guest 31673 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2010, 15:18   #14
Guest 23929
Xbox - KaRW/ PSN KaRW1

I thought depth perception was something you lost if you only had one eye?

(not being arsey, just curious, as this always ruined Gangs of New York for me, with its one-eyed knife throwing expert...)
Guest 23929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2010, 16:20   #15
Harsin

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRW View Post
I thought depth perception was something you lost if you only had one eye?
Or a fanny.
Harsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2010, 12:43   #16
Walrus Man
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew WK View Post

I can see with both eyes, but do not have the ability to correctly merge the images, so basically I ignore most of what I see from my right eye and focus only with the left eye. I often get double vision too.

I haven't seen a 3D film yet, but do wonder what it would be like for me. Would it be a complete mess, or simply not have the 3D affect? ...and if it gets too much and the glasses have to come off, does that make the film unwatchable?

I guess I should just try, but I don't really want to pay Ł9 and potentially suffer eye strain and headaches for a couple of hours to find out. I may end up having to just walk out.
Walrus Man is offline   Reply With Quote