Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Film Discussion

Notices

Old 23-08-2008, 09:40   #21
Guest 10192
Trusted User

I'm not sure if the IMAX screen is as wide as Cineworld's screen 7 but it sure as hell is taller.
Guest 10192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2008, 10:12   #22
Shingster
Trusted User

Yeah it's not easy talking about how the 2.35:1 screen size on IMAX looks because the sheer height of the screen makes it look less "wide". 22m across is the standard spec for IMAX theatres and I believe the Brum one is standard spec, and tmk there isn't a screen 22m across in any other cinema in Birmingham.

Last edited by Shingster; 23-08-2008 at 10:12.
Shingster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2008, 10:28   #23
Guest 10192
Trusted User

How big is screen 7 in cineworld on Broad Street?

It looked pretty big to me and looked bigger than the IMAX width wise.
Guest 10192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2008, 10:43   #24
ian turner
Trusted User

Er projecting non IMAX on to an IMAX sized screen is not going to look so good surely and the capacity of the largest screen in cineworld is less than the IMAX and as noted earlier the larger the screen the more important it is not to be near the front as otherwise you end up having to move your head to take in the entire picture.
Aside from which doesn't Broad Street have a carpark half way down for the police presence every night
ian turner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2008, 11:04   #25
Shingster
Trusted User

Not that i've seen many non-IMAX films on IMAX, but every one i've seen looked fantastic, and better than their multiplex counterparts.

IIRC isn't screen 7 on Broad Street somewhere around 17.8 or 18.6m across? I don't think it's above 20m.
Old 26-08-2008, 07:40   #26
Panavision
Cinematographer BSC

The Birmingham one was full on Sat night. The queue was looooong so we decided to watch it on a tiny screen and there were quite a few people there too. I hope they are playing it for another month at IMAX.
Old 26-08-2008, 09:35   #27
Shingster
Trusted User

If it keeps pulling the crowds in like it is, they'll show it for a good while yet I'd wager.
Old 26-08-2008, 16:57   #28
Guest 30960
Goldmember

Edited my original thread to share my opinion.
Guest 30960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2008, 17:05   #29
Richie
Trusted User

I agree about "comfortable" viewing at IMAX, Gekko.
I saw it at London IMAX and if I was anywhere other than the very back row (at the top) I really wouldn't have enjoyed it so much.
Also I don't know how B'ham is but London has NO leg room at all, which sucks completely. Far too many seats crammed in for true comfort.
Richie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2008, 17:48   #30
Shingster
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gekko View Post
The only "comfortable" viewing I believe, is achieved from sitting towards the very top... I don't like looking up at a screen (even though we were sat in the top quarter)... especially if you have to look towards the corners, just to take in the entire visual information
The IMAX screen format is designed to fill your field of vision, so the aim isn't necessarily for you to see all of the image! As much as I agree that you should be able to take in the entire image without moving your head, IMAX films are designed so you don't miss any vital information viewing from the majority of seats in the cinema (obviously the front 4 rows or so are a bit of a lost cause).

The Dark Knight is no exception to this, even if you're sitting relatively close to the IMAX screen, you're still taking in far more picture information than the standard 2.35:1 showing. You lose nothing that normal cinema goers can see or that Nolan intended you to see.

Quote:
So in theory, one could say that at least half the seats in there are a complete waste of space... why then all ticket holders should pay the same price bothers me... those sat at the bottom should be paid by the cinema for "testing" in my opinion! And the seats themselves were far from comfortable, especially after the 90 minute stage!
If they had a "price per seating distance" policy, then the best seats in the house would no doubt cost far more than the already lofty Ł9 charge. There's no way they're going to offer discount seats in a cinema that can only have around 4-5 showings a day.

I believe at most IMAX cinemas in the country (and Bham too, before they dropped it for some reason) you can actually choose your seats when you book your tickets, this enables the cinemagoers who are more anal about seeing the "whole picture" (IE: people like me!) to guarantee they get the experience they want (providing certain circumstances remove any flexibility with the time and day you have to go to the cinema).

Also, you were warned about the viewing/seat problems of IMAX and how popular The Dark Knight is right now and the importance of queuing early, so you've got no-one to blame but yourself for not being able to see the whole image easily!

Quote:
The scenes which were filmed in Imax, as I said, were spectacular.... but I think watching documentaries or short films entirely shot in Imax is more appropriate- after the initial "wow factor" from the first scene, the rest were more of a gimmick... I'd rather watch a 30 minute documentary on Skyscrapers or Britain From Above in Imax rather than have a few scenes of the movie just for the sake of a miniature experience.
Nolan used the IMAX format to give Gotham City (and HK) a sense of scale that you simply don't get inordinary theatrical (and home) viewing. I thought he incorporated it effectively and seamlessly.

Last edited by Shingster; 26-08-2008 at 18:00.
Old 26-08-2008, 17:51   #31
Shingster
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie View Post
Also I don't know how B'ham is but London has NO leg room at all, which sucks completely. Far too many seats crammed in for true comfort.
Leg room's never been an issue for me at the Bham IMAX, the seats can be hard on the arse after 2hrs though. Definitely some buttock weight-shifting needed to reach the end of Dark Knight!

Last edited by Shingster; 26-08-2008 at 18:08.
Old 26-08-2008, 20:22   #32
Guest 849
Blimey I'm a dad!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gekko View Post
I prefer a more traditional night out at the movies.... going to try Cineworld or AMC Five Ways (or possibly Gold Class at Vue, Star City) next time.
Let us know which one you go to and how you get on, I was planning on seeing it for a second time at the AMC (Five Ways) mostly because it cheaper during the day.

Last edited by Tyler Durden; 26-08-2008 at 20:23.
Guest 849 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2008, 21:13   #33
Shingster
Trusted User

AMC's a great cinema, but it has a heavily tiered screen system like Vue, so you have a handful of big screens and a bunch of tiny screens. What's unique about the Cineworld on Broad Street is that even the smallest screen is about the size of the medium-large screens at Star City (think the screens that are just below screens 1,12 & 19 in size, forget the exact numbers), making it the safest choice for films that have been on release longer or lesser mainstream titles. However, the largest screens at the Broad Street aren't necessarily any bigger or better than the largest screens at Star City & AMC.

Case in point: I went to watch There Will Be Blood at the Cineworld on Broad Street and got to watch it on a 50ft+ screen. There's no chance in hell you'll ever get that at overpriced Star City! Hell, I can't remember if they even showed the damn film!
Old 27-08-2008, 18:18   #34
ian turner
Trusted User

Unless they modified the place after buying up UGC then one of the screens at cineworld in brum has the air conditioning system behind the screen which will add unwanted wind sound effects at random points plus another had a loose main step that made a distinct thunk if anyone chose to make a toilet run and sometimes you'd get low lives runing through from the fire exit having bust through the fire door
ian turner is offline   Reply With Quote