Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Shopping and Money Forums > Suppliers and Shopping Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17-03-2010, 08:18   #21
qpw3141
Unregistered user
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 1,775
Thanks: 14
Thanked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan b View Post
Then I don't see how you can complain when you get such emails. Yes they shouldn't do it but you have a possible solution at your fingertips.
It's really very simple, Alan.

He is the customer.

Any moderately intelligent business organisation should avoid alienating their customers as these are the people from whom they get the revenue they need to survive.
qpw3141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2010, 08:50   #22
splobber
Administrator
 
splobber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Lake Titicaca
Posts: 67,115
Thanks: 40
Thanked 728 Times in 360 Posts
That's all very nice and idyllic stuff, but the customer can turn off the emails in their settings, which Amazon give the customer the option of doing.
splobber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2010, 10:22   #23
Guest 22574
Roar!
 
Guest 22574's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: London
Posts: 4,560
Thanks: 17
Thanked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Its bad business practise though to group weekly special offers and newsletters that I dont mind recieving with browsing based stalky emails. The new based on previous purchases was quite good as they often were genuinly of interest & if you bought something for someone else you just untick it it isnt used in that way.

Now i simply dont get any of their emails = potentially lost sales to them.
Guest 22574 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2010, 15:42   #24
qpw3141
Unregistered user
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 1,775
Thanks: 14
Thanked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by splobber View Post
That's all very nice and idyllic stuff, but the customer can turn off the emails in their settings, which Amazon give the customer the option of doing.
Ah, if they give you an option to turn off the emails, that's fine.

But Alan was suggesting that it was acceptable that you had to log off to avoid them which I would say is not the case.

A company whose customers have to browse incognito to avoid spam would be doing something wrong.
qpw3141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2010, 15:53   #25
Bigsby
Trusted User
 
Bigsby's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Workin' on a Sex Farm
Posts: 2,574
Thanks: 13
Thanked 11 Times in 9 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisjm View Post
Its bad business practise though to group weekly special offers and newsletters that I dont mind recieving with browsing based stalky emails. The new based on previous purchases was quite good as they often were genuinly of interest & if you bought something for someone else you just untick it it isnt used in that way.

Now i simply dont get any of their emails = potentially lost sales to them.
Yup, agree with this.
Bigsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2010, 16:48   #26
Alan b
Administrator
 
Alan b's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: UK
Posts: 35,049
Thanks: 171
Thanked 1,285 Times in 581 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by qpw3141 View Post
Ah, if they give you an option to turn off the emails, that's fine.

But Alan was suggesting that it was acceptable that you had to log off to avoid them which I would say is not the case.
Of course most retailers give the option of not receiving them, I am surprised you have never noticed this. I do whatever I can not to get them so if that means looking around them whilst not being logged in then so be it, I really don't see it as such a big issue.
Alan b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2010, 19:04   #27
B0zza
Awaiting a package
 
B0zza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Zummerset
Posts: 2,372
Thanks: 14
Thanked 87 Times in 34 Posts
Equally it's a non-issue for me to receive them. As busy as I am, I can still just manage to find the 5 or 6 seconds it takes to scan the email and delete.

(I only highlighted the ones I get because this thread caught my eye.)
B0zza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2010, 19:31   #28
qpw3141
Unregistered user
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 1,775
Thanks: 14
Thanked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan b View Post
Of course most retailers give the option of not receiving them, I am surprised you have never noticed this.
I wasn't the one who had a problem. I presumably noticed it years ago and set it properly.

Quote:
I do whatever I can not to get them so if that means looking around them whilst not being logged in then so be it, I really don't see it as such a big issue.
LOL.

Please, if you don't see making your customers have to hide from you to avoid being flooded with emails they don't want as a big issue, don't ever sink money into starting an on-line business.

There may be a few people who won't mind but a lot will just silently ignore your site.
qpw3141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2010, 19:56   #29
Alan b
Administrator
 
Alan b's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: UK
Posts: 35,049
Thanks: 171
Thanked 1,285 Times in 581 Posts
Retailers are going to do everything they can to drum up business especially in they cut throat world of online shopping and most if not all do some sort of newsletter or send out emails about their services. If there was no way of stopping these emails coming through then that would be different but as it only takes a few clicks to stop then I don't see it as a major problem.

Last edited by Alan b; 17-03-2010 at 19:57.
Alan b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2010, 20:34   #30
point blank
Lurker
 
point blank's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Posts: 133
Thanks: 3
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It is a problem when you are looking for a surprise present for your Mrs and they sent an email detailing what I was looking at which she saw before I did completely blowing the surprise
point blank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2010, 05:18   #31
driver8
eviscerate your memory
 
driver8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Malé, Maldives
Posts: 10,895
Thanks: 1,995
Thanked 2,245 Times in 951 Posts
^ hehe ... you're not one of these couples with a shared "mr & mrs" email address are you ? (Never quite understood these).
driver8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2010, 07:02   #32
point blank
Lurker
 
point blank's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Posts: 133
Thanks: 3
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by driver8 View Post
^ hehe ... you're not one of these couples with a shared "mr & mrs" email address are you ? (Never quite understood these).
Yes we just use the same email address at home, as we don't need to hide things from each other, until amazon came along that is
point blank is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
1984, Privacy, stalking

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Form validation set up on my websites form yet still get blank emails? Brad123 Computing Forum 4 08-08-2007 08:59
Stalking Pete Doherty...what is the guy on (I mean the film-maker) jonpeat Television Discussion 51 13-11-2006 23:05
Big retailer pulling a fast one or legitimate business tactic Guest 1728 Suppliers and Shopping Forum 7 14-05-2005 19:10
crazy like a fox, any websites with info? CrumpetMan Television Discussion 0 27-01-2004 10:56
Evanescence and stalking Guest 13109 Music Discussion 21 23-07-2003 10:40

All times are GMT. The time now is 05:36.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright ©2000 - 2018 Poisonous Monkey Ltd. Part of The Digital Fix Network