Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Film Discussion

Notices

Old 28-08-2017, 20:16   #1
ian turner
Trusted User

Unnecessary reboot - Hellboy

So Neill Marshall has been picked to direct and already after only a week an actor has bailed. Strangely because apparently he would be white washing the role of Hellboys handler rather than because John Hurts role has been taken by Ian Mcshane and Ron Perlman , a man born to play monsters, has been replace in the main role by er never heard of him.
I suspect Marshall will be taking bigger liberties than this with the script anyway.
ian turner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2017, 20:28   #2
Mr Majestik
Trusted User

Well seeing as Hellboy creator Mike Mignolia has written the script and the promise of an R rating this one's going to be more like the books rather than the last films which were more of an excuse for Del Toro to design monsters.

Hellboy is being played by the guy who was the sheriff in Stranger things. Which is pretty good casting. God knows what they were think casting a white guy in an Asian role but that's been sorted now. ( And it also means the B R P D are going to be in this one.)

So for once I'm strangely optimistic about this one.
Mr Majestik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2017, 21:07   #3
ian turner
Trusted User

One site quotes Mignola as saying "Mignola explained that he has not been as involved*with the reboot as he was with the del Toro films". Plus the main script writer is mainly known for Eureka a comedy TV series
Old 29-08-2017, 09:12   #4
MaxNutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian turner View Post
Plus the main script writer is mainly known for Eureka a comedy TV series
As in A Town Called Eureka? That wasn't a comedy series, it was a Sci-Fi one, albeit a little light-hearted sometimes.
Old 29-08-2017, 09:39   #5
mjb1975
Blandiblub

Just for anyone's interest (I'm not into Hellboy but saw this from Ed Skrein on my Twitter timeline):

Old 29-08-2017, 10:00   #6
jockosjungle
formerly rbullivant

Thanked 1,172 Times in 829 Posts
Doesn't seem to be off to a good start. I'm really getting bored of all the reboots now, Hellboy was actually really good and I'm fairly sure was made whilst I was an adult. Hardly seems worth doing.
jockosjungle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2017, 19:05   #7
ian turner
Trusted User

id be interested in an informed opinion on how asian american Mignolas portrayal of a japanese American character is.
Old 29-08-2017, 19:51   #8
Shingster
Trusted User

Daimio's more a gung-ho, cigar chomping, no-nonsense, US military man type who has a pretty mysterious Japanese heritage that plays into the detailed backstory of the main plotline of the B.P.R.D comics.

The way I see it, unless they want to build up to some form of TV spinoff where they can adapt the B.P.R.D. comic serial (which is a spinoff of Hellboy with its own plotline that occasionally overlaps with the "main" Hllboy graphic novels), they'll just ignore most of Daimio's backstory, and if you ignore that the character is imo completely interchangeable in terms of race because he's just a regular asian-american, so them casting a white american actor wouldn't be that radical a departure. But it does highlight once again how asian and asian-american actors get screwed out of high profile roles in Hollywood.

I mentioned this on another forum but ignoring the whitewashing, Ed Skrein was just a completely bizarre choice for the role coz Daimio's meant to be this grizzly middle-aged military type who happens to be hideously disfigured from an animal attack when he was younger, so why the **** would you cast a young, handsome English dude in the role? It's not like Skrein is an amazing performer or big rising star that you simply have to cast if you get the chance, is it? Gotta give the guy total respect for voluntarily stepping down though, coz none of this was his fault.

Last edited by Shingster; 29-08-2017 at 19:54.
Shingster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2017, 20:32   #9
Taq
Evil Scientist

Pity they didn't just make Hellboy 3 instead
Old 29-08-2017, 20:38   #10
Shingster
Trusted User

If they adapt the comics faithfully, in theory it should **** all over the GDT films. The comics are excellent. Hellboy one is pretty faithful and very good. Hellboy 2 has Hellboy singing to Barry Manilow.
Old 29-08-2017, 20:41   #11
aprout
worn to perfection

Location: Come out to the coast, we'll get together, have a few laughs
Kudos to Skrien.

Pity he didn't do the same when they asked him to replace Statham in the Transporter reboot...
aprout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2017, 13:05   #12
ian turner
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shingster View Post
If they adapt the comics faithfully, in theory it should **** all over the GDT films. The comics are excellent. Hellboy one is pretty faithful and very good. Hellboy 2 has Hellboy singing to Barry Manilow.
Look at Marshalls previous films. While entertaining they don't give the impression that he's not averse to taking faithful adaption out the back and shooting it if it suits him.Plus he usually seems to got low budget casting, Fassbender had probably started on Centurion before Inglorious Basterds was released , Hoskins and Mcdowell probably aren't budget busters inspite of their talents well Bobs anyway, so Milla probably bust his casting budget.
Old 30-08-2017, 14:44   #13
MaxNutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian turner View Post
Look at Marshalls previous films. While entertaining they don't give the impression that he's not averse to taking faithful adaption out the back and shooting it if it suits him.
What adaptations has he done previously?
Old 31-08-2017, 02:19   #14
Shingster
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxNutter View Post
What adaptations has he done previously?
Couple of the most kickass episodes of Game of Thrones!

I'm not a huge fan of Mr. Marshall as a director (I think he makes entertaining but disposable genre films) and from what I've read it sounds like they're trying to make this on the cheap, so I'm not getting my hopes up. I will say one thing though, Marshall at least knows how to make the most of a limited budget.
Old 31-08-2017, 09:13   #15
Mr Majestik
Trusted User

Marshall made the Descent and Dog Soldiers so he gets a free pass from me. He's a good genre director who can get a lot out of a small budget. Which is probably why game of Thrones hire him for the big battle episodes.

It's been a long time since he made a feature though.
Mr Majestik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2018, 19:42   #16
Jabbitt
Quick Stop Clerk

Here's the first trailer. I'm still cautiously optimistic for this as a Hellboy fan, but this trailer does it no favours whatsoever. I think the choice of music is wrong for a start.

Old 19-12-2018, 19:49   #17
Spaceranger2001
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabbitt View Post
Here's the first trailer. I'm still cautiously optimistic for this as a Hellboy fan, but this trailer does it no favours whatsoever. I think the choice of music is wrong for a start.

Hellboys sounds like John Goodman
Spaceranger2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2018, 19:49   #18
rich.steed
Trusted User

thought it looked terrible - good cast, good SFX but tone just seemed so wrong and jokey
rich.steed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2018, 20:12   #19
Jabbitt
Quick Stop Clerk

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich.steed View Post
thought it looked terrible - good cast, good SFX but tone just seemed so wrong and jokey
I'm hoping this is just a certain angle the marketing team are aiming for to maybe draw in a larger audience. There was definitely still some classic looking Hellboy moments in there...and mo from Eastenders!
Old 19-12-2018, 21:53   #20
Shingster
Trusted User

WTF? It looks just like the GDT films only... English? Now I understand whyy they originally wanted Ed Skrien to play Ben Daimio! They've taken a character that was basically a Japanese James Coburn and turned him into Korean Hugh Grant!

Last edited by Shingster; 19-12-2018 at 22:17.
Thanked once by:
driver8 (20-12-2018)