Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Books and Comics Discussion

Notices

Old 25-07-2007, 10:11   #81
Guest 62317
Trusted User

Anyone read 'My Indecision is Final: The Rise and Fall of Goldcrest Films' by Jake Eberts and Terry Ilott? It gets bogged down sometimes in the ecomomics of filmmaking, but it's a wonderful book.

I also love Kevin Brownlow's biography of David Lean. The level of detail is impressive enough, but it also ends up being incredibly sad. Plus it has a warmth and affection that lots of biographies lack.
Guest 62317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2007, 16:52   #82
Guest 45586
Trusted User

A new book on Hitchcock has recently come my way - Mr Hitchcock by Quentin Falk, published by Haus Books at £20. The price is a shame and it really shouldn't have been a full-blown hardback (albeit a beautifully designed one) because this is really a stylishly written breeze through one of cinema's longest, fattest and grandest careers. Mr Falk gives us the ultimate thumbnail or capsule biography - no shocking new research here, just a sensible recap. I highly recommend this to younger fans who can't find or would want to wade through Donald Spoto's massive biography. And the front cover photo is lovely.
Guest 45586 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2007, 05:18   #83
Guest 57579
Tennessee Stud

Two new director biographies here: Otto Preminger: The Man Who Would Be King by Foster Hirsch and a new printing of Jeanine Basinger's Anthony Mann. I haven't read either yet, but I'm anxious for both.
Guest 57579 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2008, 11:13   #84
Guest 59433
Trusted User

Another book on Preminger out now!

Here's a recently published book:

"The World and Its Double: The Life and Work of Otto Preminger" by Chris Fujiwara

Chris Fujiwara is the talented writer who ten years ago got published:

"Jacques Tourneur: The Cinema of Nightfall". The latter comes highly recommended.

Sincerely

moviemr
Guest 59433 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2008, 15:30   #85
R-T-C
Klaus Kinksi's pet dog

Looking for some recommendations this time.

I'm looking for some books to provide a good introduction to Film Noir and the American Western. Preferably providing more of an introduction and history of the genre than just a collection of reviews and biographies.

On a similar topic, does anyone know of any book about Herbert Lom. Considering the spread of his film career it seems shocking that there is not a biography/autobiography out there somewhere, but I cannot find one.
R-T-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2008, 16:26   #86
Guest 45586
Trusted User

My favorite book on Westerns remains Philip French's Westerns (Secker & Warburg, 1973 and reprinted a few times since). French is the film critic of The Observer and immensely literate - a sort of cultural omnivore who writes on westerns with real knowledge and enthusiasm. He takes a socio-political approach and comes up with some tremendous insights and ideas. It's an esy read, too.

On film noir, I think the best thing ever published remains the special Film Noir issue of Film Comment magazine, Nov-Dec 1974. This has absolutely everything, notably Raymond Durgnat's Family Tree of the Film Noir. A rather exotic choice would be Alfred Appel Jnr's Nabokov's Dark Cinema (OUP/NY 1974) which isn't quite what the title suggests, but a superbly illustrated and richly suggestive take on noir and its cultural influence. And there's David Thomson's Suspects, ostensibly fictional but based on fact (!).
Old 28-03-2008, 21:29   #87
Livius
Is it far?

Quote:
Originally Posted by R-T-C View Post
Looking for some recommendations this time.

I'm looking for some books to provide a good introduction to Film Noir and the American Western. Preferably providing more of an introduction and history of the genre than just a collection of reviews and biographies.
For noir, you could try Ian Cameron's
The Movie Book of Film Noir although it is a bit heavy and academic.
An alternative would be Andrew Spicer's Film Noir.

As for the western Horizons West by Jim Kitses is pretty good.
Old 12-04-2008, 07:06   #88
DanWilde1966
I no longer post here.

Just picked up Who the Hell's In It? by Peter Bogdanovich. I've only nibbled at it so far, but it's a cracking read, charting PB's portraits of and conversations with the likes of John Wayne, Jimmy Stewart, Bogart, Cagney, Welles, Lemmon, Monroe... Great stuff.

Also John Boorman's Adventures of a Suburban Boy - an autobiographical work. There's a fascinating chapter on the making of Deliverance, for example. Boorman's writing style is a tad sober and restrained, but it's still worth a look.

And I'm also reading Revolution! The Explosion of World Cinema in the 1960s by Peter Cowie. It's an oft-told story, but all the key points are well made in this book, mostly in the filmmakers' own words. Good stuff.

Last edited by DanWilde1966; 13-04-2008 at 07:53.
DanWilde1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2008, 09:25   #89
Guest 56008
Trusted User

Just received in the post yesterday Tom Weaver's critically acclaimed study of Universal's classic horror films Universal Horrors: The Studio's Classic Films, 1931-1946 - its pricey, but the dollar is weak so its a good time to grab this book...also in the post is the new Tarkovsky book - I've heard this is quite a big book of essays on the great Russian director - hopefully they won't be all unreadable film theory essays, but at least it gives me a good excuse to go back and watch the DVDs....
Guest 56008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 06:51   #90
DanWilde1966
I no longer post here.

Stanley Kubrick: A Life in Pictures, going for a fiver in HMV. It's typical coffee-table fare, but it has personal pics of Kubrick that I've not seen before...
DanWilde1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 21:17   #91
Guest 65626
Trusted User

The Genius of the System by Thomas Schatz - enjoyable overview of the studio era, focusing on Universal, MGM, Warner Bros and Selznick as its 4 case studies illustrating the changes as the system went on. Very readable and informative. Like the Whole Equation, tries to consider both the business and the art, and how the two interacted.

Talking of the Whole Equation, I do like reading David Thomson, but I guess he's pretty well known. There's another of his coming out soon, which is his own personal '1000 to see before you die' type book, called 'Have you seen?' I look forward to seeing what he does and doesn't include.

Also recently read 'The Way Hollywood Tells It' by David Bardwell, which is about how modern films still use the classical storytelling devices of old. Quite interesting, although goes into lots of depth on films I don't care too much for (e.g. Jerry Maguire).

Now (about 10 yrs after everyone else) just started Easy Riders Raging Bulls, for a take on a different period in Hollywood history.
Guest 65626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2008, 08:58   #92
charlie angel
Trusted Schmoozer

There's a short piece in this months Total Film on Dalton Trumbo which has got my mind ticking over about the blacklist - can anyone recommend a good background read?
charlie angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2008, 17:49   #93
JoelCairo
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie angel View Post
There's a short piece in this months Total Film on Dalton Trumbo which has got my mind ticking over about the blacklist - can anyone recommend a good background read?
Unfortunately, most who have written about the blacklist had an axe to grind and presented extremely one-sided arguments.

A quite different approach can be found in Philip Dunne's autobiography A Life In Movies And Politics. Dunne was a life-long "liberal" who came close to being blacklisted but managed to survive by the skin of his teeth. Dunne explains what it was really like being under suspicion in Hollywood at that time, but does not try to present himself as a noble idealist who stood firm heroically against the McCarthy-ite hordes. His assessment of the Hollywood "red-scare" is well-balanced and informative.

The blacklist period forms only one part of an interesting career and most of the book is about the rest of Dunne's life and work.
JoelCairo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2008, 21:12   #94
charlie angel
Trusted Schmoozer

Interesting, thanks for the recommendation Joel - will hunt that one out
Old 16-08-2008, 19:41   #95
Guest 45586
Trusted User

Quote:
The best book on the blacklist is called Naming Names, and I'm sorry I don't have the author's name to hand. I had a paperback which I sold a year or two ago. It's the standard text, I think, on this fascinating subject. There's also a collection of Trumbo's Letters but he's just a bombastic windbag in my view.
Old 16-08-2008, 23:28   #96
ajr90
Gamertag: Holden Carver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell Armbruster View Post
The best book on the blacklist is called Naming Names, and I'm sorry I don't have the author's name to hand. I had a paperback which I sold a year or two ago. It's the standard text, I think, on this fascinating subject. There's also a collection of Trumbo's Letters but he's just a bombastic windbag in my view.
A quick Google and it would appear the author's name is Victor Navasky.
ajr90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2008, 09:51   #97
Guest 56008
Trusted User

For the Blacklist, also check out:

TENDER COMRADES : A Backstory of the Hollywood Blacklist - Patrick McGilligan and Paul Buhle
Old 19-08-2008, 10:04   #98
charlie angel
Trusted Schmoozer

Thanks for the recommendations chaps
Old 02-10-2008, 14:47   #99
Guest 56008
Trusted User

I just ordered from FAB Press their latest book Behind the Pink Curtain - The Complete History of Japanese Sex Cinema written by one of the guys from the excellent Midnite Eye website. The ltd. hardback is selling right now, so check it out !

http://www.fabpress.com/vsearch.php?CO=FAB098

Old 28-12-2008, 12:05   #100
JoelCairo
Trusted User

Quote:
Anyone eager for a better understanding of the Hollywood blacklist period should watch Episode 5 of The RKO Story which is now being re-broadcast on BBC 4. Obviously it is concerned with how the "red-scare" affected RKO but it is really illuminating.
JoelCairo is offline   Reply With Quote