Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Music Discussion

Notices

Old 17-03-2004, 11:14   #1
GregB
Stagger Lee

Billy Bragg

Anyone going to his current tour? I missed out when Manchester tickets went on sale but managed to get a pair of a guy in the forum at the Bragg site and they are 2nd row

Can't wait as I despite being into Bragg since the late 80s this is the first time I'll see him without a band
GregB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2004, 09:40   #2
Guest 243
XBL: Wolfgang Winkle

I'm off there too - Sunday night!

Came to it a bit late to bag brilliant seats, but I'm looking forward to it all the same. Was listening to his best of this morning and i reckon it'll be great even without a band (although I have to say I would have liked to have heard him do some of the Blokes stuff with a band).

Here's hoping it's a cracker.
Guest 243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2004, 10:06   #3
GregB
Stagger Lee

Quote:
Originally posted by sideshowbob
I'm off there too - Sunday night!

Came to it a bit late to bag brilliant seats, but I'm looking forward to it all the same. Was listening to his best of this morning and i reckon it'll be great even without a band (although I have to say I would have liked to have heard him do some of the Blokes stuff with a band).

Here's hoping it's a cracker.
I was really lucky with the seats as I was going to get rear circle when i thought of looking on the bragg site. It paid off in spades. I've seen the set lists from the european shows and they look fantastic and apparently the support is well worth checking out as well.

Can't wait

Last edited by GregB; 18-03-2004 at 10:08.
Old 19-03-2004, 09:34   #4
Guest 243

Well, I guess I got your rear circle seats!

Still, in for a penny in for a pound.

Been trying to bring my missus up to speed with BB in advance of the gig. I think she'd only heard 2 songs before yesterday.
Old 19-03-2004, 10:54   #5
agnetha

Not a big fan of him but saw him at Leeds Irish Centre about 14 years ago and he was superb. I particularly remember a brave heckler shouting "I love Margaret Thatcher" during the gig
agnetha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2004, 07:57   #6
Guest 243

Well, it's more than likely that I saw the back of your head at some point GregB. Still, a pretty good view from "the Gods"!

I really enjoyed the gig - Jill Sobule was a real treat too. I'll be on the hunt for "I kissed a girl ..."

And Billy, well ... mixing pop and politics, I ask him what the use is. Great mix of songs - particularly liked the reworked Great Leap Forward, A Lover Sings, Accident Waiting to Happen and Levi Stubbs Tears.

Old 22-03-2004, 09:37   #7
Guest 243

Incidentally, anyone who enjoyed Jill Sobule might take a gander at her website www.jillsobule.com or have a look at either www.secondspin.com or www.djangos.com for her stuff second hand.
Old 22-03-2004, 15:49   #8
GregB
Stagger Lee

Quote:
Well, it's more than likely that I saw the back of your head at some point GregB. Still, a pretty good view from "the Gods"!

I really enjoyed the gig - Jill Sobule was a real treat too. I'll be on the hunt for "I kissed a girl ..."

And Billy, well ... mixing pop and politics, I ask him what the use is. Great mix of songs - particularly liked the reworked Great Leap Forward, A Lover Sings, Accident Waiting to Happen and Levi Stubbs Tears.

I really enjoyed Jill Sobule and was tempted to buy her CD but decided not because I'm not sure how much I regret that now but at least I know I can a cheap signed copy off ebay The duet with Bragg in All The Young Dudes was fun even if Bragg was hideously out of tune

Bragg own set was simply stunning witha fantastic mixture of old and new. His banter was excellent as always and I particularly enjoyed the Morrissey story and the Norwegian Death Metal club.

Anyone who has a chance to see any of the remaining shows should get tickets now as this is Bragg at his very best.
Old 22-03-2004, 16:12   #9
Guest 243

Hehe - yep, he was very wonky on All the young dudes.

What surprised me was the number of people who didn't turn up until after Jill had been on. They missed out in my estimation.

The morrissey story was class - I can imagine him with his wee willy winky outfit on.
Old 22-03-2004, 16:19   #10
GregB
Stagger Lee

Quote:
Hehe - yep, he was very wonky on All the young dudes.

What surprised me was the number of people who didn't turn up until after Jill had been on. They missed out in my estimation.

The morrissey story was class - I can imagine him with his wee willy winky outfit on.

Agrred about Jill Sobule. Most of the audience were probably in one of the bars so why they didn't bother going in was beyond me. Ahh well it was there loss.