Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Film Discussion

Notices

Old 06-06-2019, 08:17   #21
The Bear
Old-gold and black member

Thanked 1,500 Times in 471 Posts
I will still probably go and see it!
The Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 09:09   #22
allan
Trusted User

This was terrible, deserves its very low score on RT. Was bored all the way through. The main issue for me is that everyone just seems miscast and I didn't care about any of the characters. You can tell that some of the actors and actresses aren't interested but obviously couldn't get out of their contracts!
allan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 10:19   #23
Spaceranger2001
Trusted User

Any word on what music they are using is it a new theme or the X2 dofp apoc theme?
Spaceranger2001 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 10:30   #24
Spaceranger2001
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hood View Post
Spider-Man not nearly as popular? Also Black Panther and Captain Marvel were considerably bigger hits than First Avenger and Thor.
Hype train was not even out the station when Cap, Thor and Iron Man started it all. BP and CM have used the hype train plus being Bookened by the avengers movies to get their numbers and let's be honest CM felt like a phase one movie

Had they have been first they would have ended up like incredible hulk

Spiderman in Sam Raimi's case yes very popular and had we got more if him I would say yes he could hold up a new avengers team. Thanks to the Garfield years and having to go younger with Tom h all that good feeling is nearly gone. Why else would they have put Iron Man in there to help get bums on seats and build him back up again. And even in the new one they are going to team him up with Mysterio
Old 06-06-2019, 10:54   #25
Hood
HipHopPotamus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceranger2001 View Post
Thanks to the Garfield years and having to go younger with Tom h all that good feeling is nearly gone.
I'm sorry I don't agree at all. The vast majority of people who are invested in the MCU are too young to even give the Raimi films a second thought. They also are fully aware that the Garfield films had absolutely nothing to do with the MCU, so they are totally irrelevant. When I saw Endgame the return of Spider-Man garnered the biggest cheer from an audience that I've ever heard in a cinema. The affection for him was easily equal to if not more than that of Iron Man and Captain America. Iron Man was in Homecoming because he introduced Spider-Man in Civil War and they were making it very clear this new Spider-Man is very much part of the MCU. My daughter is 12 and she absolutely loves the new Spider-Man. She had no particular interest in the MCU until Homecoming came out and now she's hooked. Finally, 99% of the cinema goers that go to see Far From Home won't have the slightest clue who Mysterio is so I'm not sure why you would think that he has been included for any other reason than the story they have written.
Hood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 11:42   #26
Spaceranger2001
Trusted User

Quote:
My daughter is 12 and she absolutely loves the new Spider-Man.
Thats great but I am approaching it from the view of someone older who liked Raimi's Spiderman more - tried to like the garfield ones but couldn't; and finds introducing the new one as a highschooler recruited by a rich older man to fight for him and because he's Iron Man the Kid just does it a bit off.

This spiderman is fully formed, full powers, has a suit has been saving people even before IM comes on the scene. And given that we have seen little if any of his hero's journey because these are not connected to the older films we should have.

How is he spider man
Where is uncle Ben
Where are his parents
What was his struggles/conflicts in becoming spider man.
I really don't want little flashbacks or secret life of his parents like they did in ASM 2

The teamup aspect of homecoming for me weakened the character, and Mysterio seems like another powerful partner, I would have loved to see him with someone underpowered, like hawkeye/falcon/black widow so he can shine more.

If they had asked I would have made homecoming 2 all about his origin, and started it and ended it at TS funeral.
Old 06-06-2019, 14:44   #27
Mevlock
XBL - Mevlock

You want Spiderman's origin story AGAIN!? Seriously?

If there's one thing they got right it's not rehashing it all over again.

Over and over you keep complaining about movies that just rehash what's gone before. Every time there a remake where the sex of the staring character is reversed you complain about how unoriginal Hollywood is.

Yet you want to see Spiderman's origin for a third time?!?!
Mevlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked once by:
Ravioli (16-06-2019)
Old 06-06-2019, 16:10   #28
fivebyfive
Leave means lies

first class turned the franchise around after the bad film, DoFP was great but Apoc. was massive dip in quality and this is apparently worse. Something has gone wrong again. Its a shame
Old 06-06-2019, 17:07   #29
Shingster
Trusted User

Quote:
It seems to be getting an unfair kicking. All reviews I've read seemed to say that whilst not great it is considerably better than Apocalypse, The Last Stand, Wolverine Origins. Yet all of those films have much better Rotten Tomatoes ratings than this. It just seems to be people on the internet reveling in destroying something for fun. First Game of Thrones and now this. I miss the times when entertainment news sources just simply didn't like things, wrote their review and moved on without feeling the need to unleash countless scathing articles about why they hate it and why you're wrong to like it.
Critics used to lay into films in the past as well. The only difference is that back then there wasn’t a public platform for fans to whine about it when a film is critically mauled.

These days it seems fans simply can’t accept anything but gushing praise from the popular press. You see this a lot on the bigger discussions boards, especially for this film or any comic book film.

Last edited by Shingster; 06-06-2019 at 18:46.
Shingster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 18:18   #30
Spaceranger2001
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mevlock View Post
Over and over you keep complaining about movies that just rehash what's gone before. Every time there a remake where the sex of the staring character is reversed you complain about how unoriginal Hollywood is.
Try not to make your comments a personal attack, please, many people have complained that simply gender swapping and releasing the same story again is lazy and has proved several times not to work. I'll stop criticizing them when they put more effort into making them.

As Hood points out; he believes that many who are invested in the MCU will not have seen Spiderman's origin on-screen. And even if they have its not MCU connected.

Seeing the origin story done MCU would have given the emotional connection he has to Tony Stark just that more something.

At present we don't know for sure there was/is an Uncle Ben or how peter got his powers

I would hate for this to be covered in a prequel or flashback cos its basically his whole journey

I fear that in an effort to keep the MCU at its current level, they might sacrifice the origin part. Captain Marvel's origin was all over the place in that movie and if they had gone the traditional route it might of been a better viewing experience.

That's my opinion; you'll have yours but i won't attack you for it. This is a discussion after all
Old 06-06-2019, 19:50   #31
AdamBrunt
Trusted User

Got to agree with Mevlock here ... there is absolutely zero need for the MCU films to cover Spider-Man's origin; it wasn't really needed in the Garfield films either.

In case you missed it ... spoiler alert ... he got his powers by being bitten by a radioactive spider.
AdamBrunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 20:45   #32
Mevlock
XBL - Mevlock

Quote:
Try not to make your comments a personal attack, please, many people have complained that simply gender swapping and releasing the same story again is lazy and has proved several times not to work. I'll stop criticizing them when they put more effort into making them.
It wasn't actually meant to be an attack.

I was actually just pretty astounded given your dislike of remakes. Rather than studios trying something new, covering the same ground yet again would be just as lazy.

We've all seen it, we all know it.

Every time a new Batman film is on the horizon people comment about how they hope his origin is skipped over, again we've all seen it and we all know it.

This is exactly why it was skipped in Homecoming.

There's decades and decades of material to be used here so it was easily the right call since it's been done twice recently.

It's the same with Captain Marvel's origin. I mean they didn't do anything particularly special with it, they simply switched up the time line and used the old "I can't remember my past" trope. But at least they did do something a little different rather a straight origin story.

I'm just a little surprised given your many comments on how unoriginal Hollywood often is. Something which I certainly agree with.

I would have thought given your views you would have appreciated the way they tried to be a bit more original in both films.

I actually really enjoy a good origin story, but they are getting bit stale these days to be honest.

Last edited by Mevlock; 06-06-2019 at 20:47.
Mevlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 06:56   #33
Hood
HipHopPotamus

I have to say if they introduced the Spider-Man with yet another origin movie I wouldn't have even bothered with it. It's something I have no desire see again or at least for a very long time. Spider-Man doesn't need an origin story as it is so well known but I think that Captain Marvel really did. As Mevlock says at least they tried to present Captain Marvel differently rather than use the usual linear approach.
Hood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 07:10   #34
Mr Majestik
Trusted User

The spider man origin story is so old hat that it was a running gag in the spider-verse movie.

Sent from my BAH-W09 using Tapatalk
Mr Majestik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2019, 22:26   #35
The Bear
Old-gold and black member

Thanked 1,500 Times in 471 Posts
Just been to see this. It's nowhere near as bad as all the reviews suggest. I don't think it was the worst of them, just not as good as some of the previous ones. It's better than Apocalypse, but not as good as First Class or DOFP.

There are some real flaws like the bad guys never really being explained or explored. And the death of a main character, which was just a blatantly clunky way of getting the actor out of the franchise.

Plus, Sophie Turner isn't really the best actor for the lead role IMO. She's been cast because she was in GoT and is popular, not because of her acting talent. I watched Killing Eve S2 this week, and Jodie Comer would have been a miles better Jean Grey.
The Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2019, 15:05   #36
Spaceranger2001
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bear View Post
Just been to see this. It's nowhere near as bad as all the reviews suggest. I don't think it was the worst of them, just not as good as some of the previous ones. It's better than Apocalypse, but not as good as First Class or DOFP.

There are some real flaws like the bad guys never really being explained or explored. And the death of a main character, which was just a blatantly clunky way of getting the actor out of the franchise.

Plus, Sophie Turner isn't really the best actor for the lead role IMO. She's been cast because she was in GoT and is popular, not because of her acting talent. I watched Killing Eve S2 this week, and Jodie Comer would have been a miles better Jean Grey.
Is there an explanation as to why Mystique's makeup effect looks different from first class to DOFP to Apocalypse then to this?
Old 16-06-2019, 16:28   #37
shand754
Gamertag - Shanduk

Quote:
Is there an explanation as to why Mystique's makeup effect looks different from first class to DOFP to Apocalypse then to this?
Yep, Fox don't care about continuity!
Old 16-06-2019, 16:30   #38
fivebyfive
Leave means lies

I heard JL didn't like the blue make up from 1st class and got cut down in later films
Old 17-06-2019, 00:26   #39
Shingster
Trusted User

Finally caught this tonight. Can I just say I was totally shocked that Simon Kinberg has delivered another dud script, never in a million years could I ever see that coming! Oh and he and Fox have jumped right on that female empowerment bandwagon BIG time - I never could have guessed that would happen either!

The film is just a monumental mess because of the writing, and I'm sorry Hood and The Bear, but it's earned every bit of criticism it's gathered. No it's not THAT bad a film, but it is just so mediocre in so many ways that you can't really do anything but criticise it. It lacks spectacle, most of the settings for the actions sequences are just ill thought out, and most of the cast once again appear to either be completely disinterested (JLaw) or just completely lost in the part because they are so badly cast (Tye Sheridan). Sophie Turner's OK, but that's because the part demands so little of her, she's still quite a boring performer imo.

The worst offender is the script though, it just smacks of sweaty desperation in the way it interweaves this new "Girl Power" fad into the plotline, making Professor Xavier essentially the No.2 "villain" of the piece for no reason other than: "Female Empowerment folks, patriarchal figures have to be up to something nefarious!". Say what you want about Captain Marvel, but at least this **** wasn't so badly contrived in that film, and at least a woman was behind some of it. Dark Phoenix just feels like Kinberg displaying his Woke credentials so someone will hire him quickly after this franchise has wrapped up.

I could discuss the main villains and the portrayal of the Phoenix Force, but seeing as Kinberg was so blatantly disinterested in both to the point where he couldn't be arsed to give either any personality or even any real back story, there isn't much point.

Last edited by Shingster; 17-06-2019 at 00:32.
Shingster is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked once by:
allan (17-06-2019)
Old 17-06-2019, 11:42   #40
Spaceranger2001
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shingster View Post
The film is just a monumental mess
You should send that in; to go on the cover when the bluray comes out, It would be the good advisory notice.

Does it have the x-men theme from X2/DOFP/APOC? always liked that theme