Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Film Discussion

Notices

Old 17-06-2019, 19:07   #41
AndyWilson
--------old-geek

If it upsets misogynists it must be doing something right.
AndyWilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2019, 22:41   #42
Shingster
Trusted User

Are you calling me a misogynist? Because if you are, you better be ready to justify why you've made such a spiteful accusation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceranger2001 View Post
You should send that in; to go on the cover when the bluray comes out, It would be the good advisory notice.

Does it have the x-men theme from X2/DOFP/APOC? always liked that theme
I don't know tbh. I'm terrible at picking up on musical cues and it's been years since I saw either of those films (only seen the latter two twice). I don't think they do include it but that's just a guess. Nothing about the score sounded familiar to me.

Last edited by Shingster; 17-06-2019 at 23:12.
Shingster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2019, 06:36   #43
fivebyfive
Leave means lies

There is a massive difference between a well written female character (like Buffy, wonder woman film, Sarah connor in T2, Ripley in Aliens 1 and 2) and badly written "Female Empowerment" that hates the forces of the pAtRiArChy!!

Some can't tell the difference between this as the 2nd is just **** to sell to people looking for woke points and of course they can only wibble on about "misogynists" (while getting pegged)
Old 18-06-2019, 09:07   #44
The Bear
Old-gold and black member

Thanked 1,521 Times in 489 Posts
I thought the Endgame shot of all the women was a bit "GrrL pOwEr" too personally.
The Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2019, 09:22   #45
MaxNutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bear View Post
I thought the Endgame shot of all the women was a bit "GrrL pOwEr" too personally.
especially seeing they'd chucked the most important female character off a mountain less than an hour previous.
Old 18-06-2019, 12:10   #46
The Bear

Anyway. I don't think this film necessarily paints Prof Xavier as some faux enemy. The film makes it pretty clear what he did, why he did it, and ultimately they all admit why it was probably wrong. It was just a plot device to get Jean Grey from A to B really.
Old 18-06-2019, 12:21   #47
ascender
Trusted User

Quote:
As a middle aged white man, I quite liked it. And my young daughter loved it.

I'll be honest, I'm really at the point now where I don't know what its ok to like and what I should be taking offence at.
ascender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2019, 12:26   #48
MaxNutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ascender View Post
As a middle aged white man, I quite liked it. And my young daughter loved it.

I'll be honest, I'm really at the point now where I don't know what its ok to like and what I should be taking offence at.
spend a few minutes online and you'll find plenty of help with that, and plenty of people frothing at the mouth to be offended on your behalf.
Old 18-06-2019, 13:03   #49
The Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ascender View Post

Well that's just called an opinion. I have mine and don't give a damn what other people think of it! Unless it's potentially offensive, then I keep it to myself rather than inflict it on everyone else.
Old 18-06-2019, 19:05   #50
AndyWilson
--------old-geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shingster View Post
Are you calling me a misogynist? Because if you are, you better be ready to justify why you've made such a spiteful accusation..
Try reading your criticisms of female empowerment, girl power and wokeness - which take up half of your review, to some women rather than all of us men here
AndyWilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2019, 20:47   #51
Shingster
Trusted User

EDITED

Anyone who reads my post as a criticism of female empowerment... well I'm sorry but you need to read my post again and think about what I was saying. I am all for films that use female empowerment as central themes, which is why you will never see me moaning about it in the likes of Wonder Woman because that's actually a good film that does it right. I'm complaining about THIS film clearly shoe-horning in cringeworthy dialogue and screwing around with firmly established characters because Fox or Kinberg, whoever it was, decided that somehow the Dark Phoenix Saga - a story about a woman becoming one of the most powerful beings in the universe - somehow isn't really about female empowerment enough so we need to have all our female characters (except for Storm because... you know... she's supposed to be seen and not heard) waxing lyrical about all the repression going on at the hands of Professor Xavier, the only patriarchal figure in the story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fivebyfive View Post
There is a massive difference between a well written female character (like Buffy, wonder woman film, Sarah connor in T2, Ripley in Aliens 1 and 2) and badly written "Female Empowerment" that hates the forces of the pAtRiArChy!!
Thank You fivebyfive, at least someone here gets it! It's just cringeworthy writing, it's not offensive, no-one here is complaining about the use of these themes from a moral or topical standpoint, just the blatantly superficial and clunky attempt to stuff a hot-button into a plotline that simply didn't need it. Do the Dark Phoenix saga properly and you will have a complex female character that is both protagonist and antagonist who will take the portrayal of female superheroes from the Marvel comicverse to a whole other echelon... or you could just completely **** up the storyline, villainise the heroes so they are completely wasted, and just have the tiny number of female heroes running about moaning about how the men around them have or are ruining everything.

Last edited by ColinP; 19-06-2019 at 08:36.
Old 18-06-2019, 21:14   #52
Shingster
Trusted User

Quote:
Anyway. I don't think this film necessarily paints Prof Xavier as some faux enemy. The film makes it pretty clear what he did, why he did it, and ultimately they all admit why it was probably wrong. It was just a plot device to get Jean Grey from A to B really.
That's why I put the word "villain" in quotation marks because he's not an enemy, but he is portrayed as having acted like a "villain". They even have him explain this to the audience in one of the film's many on-the-nose dialogue exhanges.

You are aware that this film doesn't exist in a vaccuum aren't you Bear? What I mean is, you're aware that this is a sequel to Apocalypse and not a soft reboot or anything like that? They've already established the "firewalls" Xavier set up in Jean's mind and why he did this in the last film (and god knows how many times before that, but hey we're dealing with time-travel shenanigans between DoFP and Apocalypse so I don't expect any character or plot detail to carry forwards from anything before Apocalypse). Now my memory of Apocalypse isn't great, but I'm pretty damn sure they didn't portray Xavier as a publicity-seeking egomaniac seeking to suppress and control Jean and ultimately being responsible for any destructive thing she will ever do.

Like I say: The script of Dark Phoenix is a complete mess, the first 20mins alone is like a beautiful demonstration of how completely disconnected the creative people were from the characters they were put in charge of.

I could go on but I'd just spoil the entire film. Needless to say it never becomes any more coherent as it goes along. I'd love to know what the changes were made by the reshoots and whether Kinberg simply delivered a duff script or if Fox essentially forced him to rework the plot so the sexual politics came to the fore.

Last edited by Shingster; 18-06-2019 at 21:30.
Old 19-06-2019, 08:36   #53
ColinP
Egomaniac / Snowflake

Thanked 1,322 Times in 679 Posts
One thing I don't think the latest X-men film is worthy of is a ban. Can we keep the conversation civil please?
Old 19-06-2019, 17:58   #54
Shingster
Trusted User

How about you treat both parties equally and edit Andy's offensive post calling me a misogynist as well then Colin? Or is it OK to blatantly insult members without any reason so long as you don't use naughty words?

Last edited by Shingster; 19-06-2019 at 18:00.