Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Film Discussion

Old 06-04-2005, 22:38   #61
Guest 45586
Trusted User

Dances With Wolves - long or longer - is fantastic. Don't care what anybody says and can forgive Costner overdoing his cuteness, the lapses into near-Disney territory and so on. It is deeply in period, yet contemporary, with landscapes to rival Lean's use of the desert in Lawrence of Arabia, and a great John Barry score. I drove across the Dakotas once with that music blaring on the car's CD and I'll never forget it.
Guest 45586 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2005, 22:40   #62
Guest 29
Last Of The Independents

Well that's certainly one view.... I hate it so passionately I can't even get a clear view of it any more.

Last edited by Mike; 06-04-2005 at 22:41.
Guest 29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2005, 22:45   #63
anephric
Kidney Thief

Costner: Write me a score, Mr. Barry! Please.
Barry: Do I have to?
Costner: I need it for my cowboys and indibums film.
Barry: Oh, you young roisterdoister! Have this scragend I wrote for a shampoo advert in 1969 and just loop it...

I dislike the score intensely, btw. It's slushy and repetitive and I've never understood the accolades (and Oscar) it picked up.

I fully appreciate I'm in a minority.
anephric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2005, 22:51   #64
Guest 1984
Banned

Location: a long long way from dot u k where mountains meet the sea
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hodson
I've got it; I just don't fancy it...and thus, it stays in the wrapper, on the shelf. Perverse, I know...
It's not as perverse as something I just thought of.
Guest 1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2005, 08:50   #65
Guest 45586
Trusted User

I kinda see why people might dislike Barry's score - it's certainly also reminiscent of Out of Africa, and that's a movie I dislike with a passion, and I'm an old Africa hand. I did hear that Costner first offered the job to Basil Pouledaris who preferred to keep the faith with Milius and did Flight of the Intruder instead. Big mistake, that. But why do people dislike Dances With Wolves? Kael I know called it Plays With Camera, loathed its liberalism and quit The New Yorker when she (and her editors) saw just how out of tune she was with the rest of the world. Personally, I ain't no lily-livered liberal either, but I do respond deeply to Costner's picture, its relationship to the plains and to the "noble savage" ethos of the Indians, which has as much to do with Herman Melville and a book like Typee as to the traditional Western. Mr Hodson really needs to see this movie and maybe Mike should gird his withers and take another look.
Old 07-04-2005, 08:55   #66
anephric
Kidney Thief

The main problem I have with it is that the Sioux often come across as slightly more noble versions of The Seven Dwarfs...

Last edited by anephric; 07-04-2005 at 14:10.
Old 07-04-2005, 09:13   #67
John Hodson
Out to lunch...

I read the reviews when it came out; didn't fancy it. Friends of mine implored me to see it (they also implored me to see Titanic, which I did); didn't fancy it. They offered me the VHS cassette; didn't fancy it. Bought the DVD a couple of years ago because I felt it wrong of me to dislike a film I'd never seen (screwy, I know), but can't bring myself to see it. I've even avoided it on TV.

Everytime I think, 'I'll watch it', I read a comment like this:

Quote:
Kael I know called it Plays With Camera, loathed its liberalism and quit The New Yorker when she (and her editors) saw just how out of tune she was with the rest of the world.
...or this...

Quote:
The main problem I have with it is that the Sioux often come across as slightly more noble versions of The Seven Dwarves...
...which only hardens my resolve never to see it, which, as fully paid up 'lily-livered liberal' and a chap who is not as hard on Costner as others here, must seem stranger and stranger. I think it may be because I love westerns so much; make of that what you will.

Oddly enough, I'm familiar with the score, and agree entirely with anephric; sadly typical of later Barry, a composer of whom I'm a big fan (think Bond, Deadfall, Dutchman, Ipcress, Zulu...) Where are you 'The John Barry Seven'..?

Aw, I'll watch it one day. One day.

Last edited by John Hodson; 07-04-2005 at 09:29.
John Hodson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2005, 09:18   #68
anephric
Kidney Thief

Perversely, I'm a bit of a Costner fan. I even like The Postman.

Crikey. Again with the "ignore my opinions" request.
Old 07-04-2005, 10:14   #69
Guest 29
Last Of The Independents

I think Kael's problem with it was more its content and what she saw as a fatal lack of cinematic style. She'd already made her decision to leave The New Yorker by the time she reviewed "Dances With Wolves" and her age and increasing infirmity were the main causes. She was 71 and in the early stages of Parkinsons. Politically, Kael was one on her own. She had no patience with the right, the left or liberalism and she was disgusted when obvious political commitment led to what she saw as poor filmmaking - and in the case of "Dances With Wolves", I completely agree with her.
Old 07-04-2005, 14:00   #70
Pentasa
Originally joined Mar '01

Doesn't take much to turn a thread into a Costner bashing , I like Dances with Wolves but its certainly overrated its not even Costner best western I'd give my vote to Open Range or Silverado (but thats only because I like Silverado), But to give Costner his due he had a vision and he's put it up there on screen mind you given the choice I'd rather watch El Dorado or Rio Bravo and what's up with Warners and Electric Dreams I'm hoping to buy my Dad a copy on DVD eventually

Last edited by Pentasa; 07-04-2005 at 14:01.
Pentasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 15:36   #71
Snuffy
Shirker not lurker

Have to take exception that Silverado is a better film than Dances with Wolves. Regardless of Wolves merits or limitations, Silverado is a garbled, hopelessly miscast insult to revisionist westerns everywhere. People say well 'yeah...the dialogue is so naturalistic', characters talk about things that really matter to them as individuals rather than mere stereotypes. Therein lies the fundamental problem. The characters are in a word 'boring'. The plot is a predictable concoction of the tired and clichéd and primarily because of the ludicrous attempts to shoe horn established faces into inappropriate roles, we end up ceasing to care about anyone, pretty much from the second reel onwards. The ultimate condemnation is that it bares direct comparison with 'Young Guns'. I think a more damning criticism that that would be hard to find.

Rant over.
Try to keep an open mind. Try to understand the viewpoint of others. Consider the minority opinion, but try to get along with the majority opinion once it's accepted. Course Holly and I've had fun, even if it has been rushed, and... so far we're doing fine. hadn't got caught. Excuse the grammar.
Snuffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2005, 12:25   #72
Guest 45586
Trusted User

Silverado does seem a bit of an aberration from Kasdan, a hyphenate I have the highest regard for, despite his voice which sounds like a Kansas coyote with laryngitis. As a movie buff's joke, it kinda makes sense but it's still a rather tragic misfire. In my view, Kasdan's Wyatt Earp gets better and better and forms, with Dances and Open Range, a classic western trilogy from Costner. (By the way, Costner has often claimed his formative experience was seeing HTWWW in Cinerama when he was knee-high to a tatonka.)
Old 19-12-2005, 09:25   #73
John Hodson
Out to lunch...

I thought it might be useful to revive this HTF/Warners chat thread and pick out what the chat revealed might be coming our way in 2006 by editing the first post. So, Warners having definitelt said 2006 in the chat, we can look forward to (hopefully):

More John Garfield films are on their way, but not this year. Gable and Tracy boxsets on tab for 2006.
An uncut "Storm Warning" with Ronald Reagan on tabs for 2006.
A Pre-code boxset coming in 2006.
Another Warner Gangster boxset set for 2006. Also, some more theme boxsets.
"Kitty Foyle" is coming out in 2006. The 1931 and 1940 versions of "Waterloo Bridge" are in their release plans.
Yakuza scheduled for next year.
Astaire/Rogers musicals coming out in two stages. Five films involved with each release, one in 2005 and another in 2006. They will be sold separately and in a boxset. (the second box has since been flagged for August 2006)
The Naked Spur on tap for 2006 and also, "Petulia".
Releasing all 48 Bowery Boys films in 2006. More than one boxset.
SE of "2001" in 2006 along with other Kubrick SE.
Next year, a 2 disc SE of "Street Car Named Desire". (in the Tennessee Williams Collection in March)
Baby Doll and Sweet Bird of Youth coming in 2006.(in the Tennessee Williams Collection in March)
No Billy Wilder films scheduled except "Spirit of St. Louis" in 2006.
Night of the Iguana sceduled for next year.(in the Tennessee Williams Collection in March)
The Peckinpah boxset now scheduled for 2006. (January 2006!)
Jean Harlow boxset in 2006
Julius Caesar and Mutiny on the Bounty with Brando and Ryan's Daughter on schedule for 2005/2006.
2 disc Maltese Falcon SE in 2006
No more Bogart films this year. Four major Bogart films are being restored from the original camera negative for release in 2006.

In the first post, you'll see references to 'in the future', but as I said, I've only included hints in this roundup post of films that Warners definitely said '2006'.
Old 19-12-2005, 11:33   #74
Guest 52145
Big Damn Hero

When I think how much money Warners are going to collect from me next year - YIKES! Without knowing which titles will be in the boxsets, I guess I'm in for about half of the stuff on that list, in principle. And then there's the Ford/Wayne set (which BETTER be next year!) and the new Superman set (Donner cut of II, please, aw pretty please with bells on top). My credit card's already ready to commit suicide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hodson
Four major Bogart films are being restored from the original camera negative for release in 2006.
I can't decide which titles I want these to be. Maltese Falcon is mentioned specifically. Then I'd wish for To Have and Have Not, The Big Sleep ... and Dark Passage, which is a personal fave, but highly unlikely (is it even a "major Bogart"? Don't think so). So Key Largo, I guess. Or Treasure of the Sierra Madre.
Guest 52145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2005, 12:44   #75
John Hodson
Out to lunch...

I can't think it will be The Treasure of the Sierra Madre; Warners did a bang up job with the last edition and To Have and Have Not is pretty good too - probably The Maltese Falcon, The Big Sleep, Key Largo then a.n. other. I'd like to see something new to DVD; Bullets or Ballots, The Amazing Dr. Clitterhouse or The Two Mrs. Carrolls (well, all of 'em would be nice...)

BTW, delving back to the 2004 Chat:

Coming in 2006

- An American in Paris: 2-Disc SE (1951) [w/ Ultra-Resolution process]
- Body Heat: 25th Anniversary (1981)
- The Searchers: 50th Anniversary SE (1956) [w/ other Wayne/Ford titles]

Last edited by John Hodson; 19-12-2005 at 14:20.
Old 19-12-2005, 15:19   #76
Guest 52145
Big Damn Hero

Hey, I didn't even know there was a 2004 chat. That Body Heat SE is soooo mine. And I thought of another Bogart I want on DVD - Conflict. Caught it on TV a few years back, it's no classic, but one I'd like to see again.

It being the season to be jolly, and all that, I'm off to give Where Eagles Dare it's annual spin. Only when I've seen Rich & Clint obliterate half the German army, has the Christmas season officially started for me.
Guest 52145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2005, 21:14   #77
earl_roberts2002

Maybe High Sierra in the Bogard set? Last disc was barebones wasn't it?
earl_roberts2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2005, 21:32   #78
Guest 29
Last Of The Independents

Mmm, "High Sierra" is a nice idea. I reckon "The Big Sleep" is a dead cert along with "To Have and Have Not".
Old 19-12-2005, 23:51   #79
John Hodson
Out to lunch...

Quote:
Originally Posted by earl_roberts2002
Maybe High Sierra in the Bogard set? Last disc was barebones wasn't it?
No, there was a brief but interesting featurette Curtains for Roy Earle: The Story of High Sierra, and the transfer was excellent. Considering it's only a couple of years since this, To Have and Have Not, They Drive By Night and Dark Passage were restored and released by Warners - and if we take the words 'are being restored from the original camera negative' as gospel - I think we can pretty much rule these out, whereas the 'Falcon', The Big Sleep and Key Largo are much older transfers from a time before Warners really got its act together.

Maybe we should start a sweep?
Old 20-12-2005, 11:12   #80
Guest 13065
Trusted User

2006 is shaping up to be a great year once again from Warner.

Any news about the Pre Code Titles ?
Guest 13065 is offline   Reply With Quote