Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Film Discussion

Old 02-04-2005, 11:55   #21
Guest 29
Last Of The Independents

There's certainly room for another box set on my shelf. Warners could do a nice John Wayne's West set with The Searchers, She Wore A Yellow Ribbon, Stagecoach and maybe The Cowboys (which I like a lot despite its reputation).
Guest 29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2005, 12:12   #22
anephric
Kidney Thief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike
maybe The Cowboys (which I like a lot despite its reputation).

I've always liked it, not least for Bruce Dern.
Old 02-04-2005, 14:04   #23
Guest 29
Last Of The Independents

Cracking good John Williams score too.
Guest 29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2005, 17:27   #24
John Hodson
Out to lunch...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Soprano
I read (either in this transcript or last years one) that Warners are doing an Ulta restoration for The Searchers which they will bring out in a special edition in 2006. Is there any chance of them bringing out a 'Western' themed boxset like 'The Gangsters Collection' and 'Film Noir Classic Collection'?
It's been mooted as a John Ford / John Wayne set, so how about The Searchers SE, Fort Apache (IMHO it's one of the masterpieces, and an absolute must - and I want a commentary), Stagecoach SE, 3 Godfathers, The Were Expendable SE, The Wings of Eagles and (a long shot I know) a new SE and remaster of How The West Was Won if only for a Cinemascope documentary. There's loads of possible extras they could include.

Warners could also consider She Wore a Yellow Ribbon for any box, I agree, but they could hardly improve on the transfer - and which Wayne / Ford fan here hasn't already got (at least one) copy (then again they could sucker me with a few extras - I'm so easy).To be honest, I'd be happy with that, and/or a John Ford and (another) John Wayne box set from Warners! It's at least a year away - *sigh* - and anything can happen...

Meanwhile, put me down as a The Cowboys fan; it does need another look doesn't it?

Last edited by John Hodson; 02-04-2005 at 17:58.
John Hodson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2005, 17:58   #25
Guest 29334
Filmmaker/A Big Film Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hodson
It's been mooted as a John Ford / John Wayne set, so how about The Searchers SE, Fort Apache (an absolute must - and I want a commentary), Stagecoach SE, 3 Godfathers, The Were Expendable SE, The Wings of Eagles and (a long shot I know) a new SE and remaster of How The West Was Won if only for a Cinemascope documentary. There's loads of possible extras they could include.

Warners could also consider She Wore a Yellow Ribbon for any box, I agree, but they could hardly improve on the transfer - and which Wayne / Ford fan here hasn't already got (at least one) copy (then again they could sucker me with a few extras - I'm so easy).To be honest, I'd be happy with that, and/or a John Ford and (another) John Wayne box set from Warners! It's at least a year away - *sigh* - and anything can happen...

Meanwhile, put me down as a The Cowboys fan; it does need another look doesn't it?
All of those titles seem very good to me. I would definatly buy that one!
Guest 29334 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 06:34   #26
Guest 45586
Trusted User

Regarding HTWWW, I'd be happy if they'd just delete that ear-scraping Turner logo that comes between the overture and the main title. Hate that, totally, utterly, absolutely.
Guest 45586 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 08:11   #27
John Hodson
Out to lunch...

I have an R2 copy of Meet John Doe which begins with the damned 'Laureate' logo over the original score...what were they thinking?

Last edited by John Hodson; 03-04-2005 at 08:45.
Old 03-04-2005, 16:28   #28
John Hodson
Out to lunch...

Re my comments earlier about How The West Was Won, d'oh! I meant Cinerama not Cinemascope, and the principal extra I was thinking of was This is Cinerama - check out these babies. Oh that the print at the recent showing at Bradford had looked half as good as those screen caps! (But I wouldn't have missed it for the world...)

Last edited by John Hodson; 03-04-2005 at 16:33.
Old 03-04-2005, 18:31   #29
anephric
Kidney Thief

What's the extant disc of HTWWW like? I've read stinging reviews about it and always been wary... is it worth picking up? It's not anamorphic, is it?
anephric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 18:43   #30
John Hodson
Out to lunch...

Quote:
Originally Posted by anephric
What's the extant disc of HTWWW like? I've read stinging reviews about it and always been wary... is it worth picking up? It's not anamorphic, is it?
Non-anamorphic and badly cropped and washed out; check out this page which compares the same shot from the restored print with the current (originally MGM) disc. I believe the overture and entr'acte music is missing also; I refuse...

Last edited by John Hodson; 03-04-2005 at 18:51.
Old 03-04-2005, 20:52   #31
Guest 1472
Trusted User

Quote:
I believe the overture and entr'acte music is missing also; I refuse...
The overture and intermission are on the current disc.
If Warner ever re-release it, they should use the smilebox process to simulate the Cinerame experience. A normal anamorphic transfer just won't do it justice.
A nice site dedicated to HTWWW: http://members.cox.net/ralphhanson/HTWWW/frames.htm

Last edited by hitch_fan; 03-04-2005 at 20:53.
Guest 1472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 20:55   #32
John Hodson
Out to lunch...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitch_fan
The overture and intermission are on the current disc.
I read a couple of reviews that didn't mention it, so I assumed wrongly - thanks HF.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitch_fan
If Warner ever re-release it, they should use the smilebox process to simulate the Cinerame experience. A normal anamorphic transfer just won't do it justice.
Absolutely And I don't want the lines digitising out either...

BTW hitch_fan, on the disc, during the buffalo stampede, do you see the water tower fall to the ground and break open? That's my recollection of the scene, but at Bradford, you saw the tower shake...and the next thing it was just laying there. Similarly, in 'The Outlaws' section, Lee J. Cobb goes to help Peppard, then we see them both aboard the train and Cobb is sporting a bandage on his head which is not explained...

Last edited by John Hodson; 03-04-2005 at 21:13.
Old 03-04-2005, 21:20   #33
anephric
Kidney Thief

I've got all excited now that I've seen that Smilebox thing and the restored print... *sigh*
Old 04-04-2005, 06:19   #34
Guest 1472
Trusted User

Quote:

BTW hitch_fan, on the disc ...
It's five or six years ago since I saw it (it's one of the first DVDs I bought) so I'm not sure what happens but I'll check it out tonight and report back.
Old 04-04-2005, 07:19   #35
Guest 45586
Trusted User

I'm somewhat surprised that Mr Hodson criticises the print of HTWWW at Bradford - I guess it must have faded a lot since I last saw it there in 2001. I think I'm right in saying that the print was originally from Sweden (or maybe Finland, somewhere cold and blonde) and that it was missing little bits here and there, like the rear-exiting bullet during the fight with Walter Brennan's mob. Bradford was able to re-instate that missing shot along with other bits and bobs. I thought the general idea was to buy a new print in instalments, as it were, so it should get better. . .
Old 04-04-2005, 07:35   #36
John Hodson
Out to lunch...

Mr A; Mr H didn't say it was 'faded' (and it wasn't), but it was missing frames (indeed, on ocaasion, whole chunks and, disconcertingly, from differing sections of the Cinerama panels). It was terribly marked, particularly early on when there was a veritable blizzard of white spots and lines that ran for yards of film - somehow, however, none of that seemed to matter too much as the sheer exhilerating experience of seeing this spectacle won through.

Quote:
Originally Posted by berkshires
Hello gang. Long time lurker, first time poster here. I enjoyed reading the Warner-HTF chat transcript. Congratulations and thanks to Warner Home Video for all the classics they've released so far.
A belated welcome berkshires; hope to see more posts from you here.

Last edited by John Hodson; 04-04-2005 at 08:38.
Old 04-04-2005, 07:43   #37
anephric
Kidney Thief

It was in a bit of a state of disrepair: as John says the left panel (iirc) disappeared for a time (a few seconds) and there were some terrible scratches (tramlines) that were fairly prominent...

I was too busy enjoying the experience to mind much, mind. I was buzzing for days after that...
Old 04-04-2005, 13:28   #38
Guest 45586
Trusted User

Mr H: re HTWWW. Oh yes, now I remember! When I last saw it, the section that builds up to the intermission was lacking one complete panel. So I thought, this Cinerama is amazing! You might be missing one panel but who cares? There's still another two to look at! Just think, if it was shot in any other process, you'd miss the whole picture! That's value for money in my book.
Old 04-04-2005, 16:59   #39
Guest 1472
Trusted User

Quote:
BTW hitch_fan, on the disc, during the buffalo stampede, do you see the water tower fall to the ground and break open? That's my recollection of the scene, but at Bradford, you saw the tower shake...and the next thing it was just laying there. Similarly, in 'The Outlaws' section, Lee J. Cobb goes to help Peppard, then we see them both aboard the train and Cobb is sporting a bandage on his head which is not explained...
Just checked for you and both scenes are the same on the DVD as you saw them in the theatre, which must have been quite spectacular btw.
The tower - there's only one shot where you see the water tower (with a couple of people in it) lean over slightly under the pressure of the buffalo stampede. Shortly afterwards, the stampede is over and you get a panoramic shot of the devastation that has been done. No falling to the ground and breaking open I'm afraid.
Lee J. Cobb's band-aid is not explained either. He just has it in the first shot of him on the train.
Old 04-04-2005, 17:04   #40
John Hodson
Out to lunch...

Thanks HF; I may be confusing the tower shot with another movie (Monte Walsh?) but it does seem strange not to show what happened after setting it up - it's an otherwise brilliant scene though isn't it? A showcase for the wonder of Cinerama. Lee J. Cobb definitely didn't cut himself shaving however...wonder if there's more footage out ther?