Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Film Discussion

Old 20-12-2005, 11:25   #81
John Hodson
Out to lunch...

None yet; but it's already a lip-smacking prospect isn't it?
John Hodson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2005, 17:13   #82
Guest 8506
Trusted User

Might High Sierra not end up on Warner Gangsters 2?
Guest 8506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2005, 18:07   #83
Guest 155
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hodson
None yet; but it's already a lip-smacking prospect isn't it?
If they've unearthed a copy of Convention City (which was a Warners film) that would be an obvious one, as it's usually credited within bringing on the strict enforcement of the Hays code. But if they had, would we have heard about it? It apparently contains long sequences of Joan Blondell in her underwear and ends with a bestiality joke. However, unless someone knows differently, the film no longer exists.

The Story of Temple Drake does exist - though I've not seen it - but it was a Paramount film. Do Paramount still own their 30s catalogue, or could this be leased to Warners for the box set? It's a retitled adaptation of William Faulkner's Sanctuary (which has a notorious scene where the heroine is raped by an impotent man with the aid of a corncob) - considerably toned down, but still enough to get moralists in a lather. This is the other film that is credited with bringing on the Code.

Probably more likely is the pre-Code version of Baby Face, starring Barbara Stanwyck - an uncut copy of this was found in 2004. And it's a Warners production.

Just idle speculation really until Warners announce what's in their box. (and that's enough innuendo for the moment.)
Guest 155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2005, 18:34   #84
John Hodson
Out to lunch...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Couzens
The Story of Temple Drake does exist - though I've not seen it - but it was a Paramount film. Do Paramount still own their 30s catalogue, or could this be leased to Warners for the box set?
Universal - shudder - own the rights to all Paramount's pre-1948 catalogue; though it happens with the likes of Criterion of course, I can't think we'll see any leasing out of titles in this instance.

Baby Face, however, sounds like a shoo-in.
Old 02-01-2006, 15:11   #85
John Hodson
Out to lunch...

Anyone else catch The Maltese Falcon on Beeb 2 today? Working this morning, so only managed the final half hour (the more I see Huston's work the more I admire the man - it's a fabulous piece of work isn't it? Mary Astor is astoundingly good, but then she has so much to work off with Bogart's deliciously morally ambivalent Spade).

It was an astoundingly good print; I looked hard for marks and failed to find any real flaws - if Warners can deliver an even better looking version of this for the proposed SE then are we in for a treat...
Old 31-01-2006, 11:02   #86
John Hodson
Out to lunch...

It's just been reported at the HTF that their next Warners chat is February 21, so expect some skin on the bones of the post on Warners plans for 2006 in the 'Upcoming' thread.

Fifty-two collections; I'm still shaking my head over that...