Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Film Discussion

Old 04-08-2008, 14:38   #1
chris21
DVD Forums Veteran

R2 Apocalypse Now: Redux, sound?

Just give this a spin now and I was dissapointed with the quality of the sound. Don't get me wrong, the dialogue is clear and if you crank your amp up you can make your windows shake, it just seems a little flat.

I put the Helicopter attack scene on and I was a bit underwhelmed.

Is this disc known to be dissapointing sound wise? If it was on another film I'd be perfectly satisfied, it's just that this film is born to sound great.
chris21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 15:31   #2
Marv
Friday the 13th

eh, i've always rated this as one of the best DD 5.1 remixs.

right from the get go where the helicoper flys around your room to the room shaking LFE of the downed B52 and the Napalm strike.
Old 04-08-2008, 16:13   #3
Niceguygeoff
I Do Deny Them My Essence

I've always liked this track. It may sound a little thin compared to a modern mix, but it's got some impressive heft.
Niceguygeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 16:31   #4
chris21
DVD Forums Veteran

It's OK, but I wasn't impressed the way I was with Saving Private Ryan, or Jurassic Park.
Old 05-08-2008, 09:00   #5
Guest 23929
Xbox - KaRW/ PSN KaRW1

Weren't those films designed with surround sound in mind, though? I think in 1979 the world was just getting comfortable with stereo.
Guest 23929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 10:07   #6
anephric
Kidney Thief

Apocalypse Now was one of the first films to have a "home theatre" remix on laserdisc. I don't know how much they rejigged that mix for DVD, but I imagine that might be why it sounds a little past it.
Old 05-08-2008, 10:14   #7
Guest 23929
Xbox - KaRW/ PSN KaRW1

It always sounded fine to me, but the steering is never going to be as good as something designed to be 'steered' to the four/five/six corners of the room. The bass upon it is still wonderful. The B52's make my windows shake and i'm listening on stereo at the mo.
Guest 23929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 11:25   #8
chris21
DVD Forums Veteran

Maybe my expectations was just too high. I didn't mean to make out it was a poor soundtrack, it's just that when I was thinking of films that must have an amazing soundtrack Apocalypse Now was one of them.
Old 05-08-2008, 17:29   #9
Guest 155
Trusted User

Well, it has...for its time. It won an Oscar for it. But ultimately it's still an analogue-originated track so isn't going to sound the same as a digital one, no matter how you remix it.

Coppola's earlier film The Conversation has one of the greatest soundtracks ever produced, in the sense of how it works as part of the film. It was mono (remixed to 5.1 for DVD) because Dolby Stereo hadn't arrived then. But it's still a groundbreaking track, which pushed at the limits of what mono optical sound was capable of.

KRW: Weren't those films designed with surround sound in mind, though? I think in 1979 the world was just getting comfortable with stereo.

Dolby Stereo was introduced in 1975, but there had been four- and six-track magnetic stereo soundtracks before then, most often but not always on 70mm prints. But you had to see the film at a city centre cinema to hear a stereo soundtrack. My local three-screen (Aldershot) didn't get Dolby Stereo, and then only in its biggest screen, until 1986 or 1987. Up to then, everything was heard in mono, and that was true for most places outside big cities until the mid-80s.

The first film I saw with a stereo soundtrack was, indeed, Apocalypse Now at the Prince Charles in 1983, shown in 70mm six-track Dolby. One of the defining cinematic experiences of my life.
Guest 155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 22:16   #10
Marv
Friday the 13th

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Couzens View Post
Well, it has...for its time. It won an Oscar for it. But ultimately it's still an analogue-originated track so isn't going to sound the same as a digital one, no matter how you remix it.

Coppola's earlier film The Conversation has one of the greatest soundtracks ever produced, in the sense of how it works as part of the film. It was mono (remixed to 5.1 for DVD) because Dolby Stereo hadn't arrived then. But it's still a groundbreaking track, which pushed at the limits of what mono optical sound was capable of.

KRW: Weren't those films designed with surround sound in mind, though? I think in 1979 the world was just getting comfortable with stereo.

Dolby Stereo was introduced in 1975, but there had been four- and six-track magnetic stereo soundtracks before then, most often but not always on 70mm prints. But you had to see the film at a city centre cinema to hear a stereo soundtrack. My local three-screen (Aldershot) didn't get Dolby Stereo, and then only in its biggest screen, until 1986 or 1987. Up to then, everything was heard in mono, and that was true for most places outside big cities until the mid-80s.

The first film I saw with a stereo soundtrack was, indeed, Apocalypse Now at the Prince Charles in 1983, shown in 70mm six-track Dolby. One of the defining cinematic experiences of my life.

I've always wanted to see soemthing like Radiers or Superman in 70mm with six track Dolby Stereo jsut to see what there like, i bet its dam impressive for old technolohy.

Cinamas should show more comercial loder movie and not jsut the classics and familty friendly stuff.

list here of six tack films http://www.in70mm.com/library/process/dolby/index.htm

Last edited by Marv; 05-08-2008 at 22:18.
Marv is offline   Reply With Quote