Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Film Discussion

Old 09-12-2004, 17:04   #61
Guest 925
Xbox Tag: mondoben

John! - Shame on you

Well with Argento i guess the obvious place to start is with Suspiria (and the anchor bay disc is utterly superb). If you don't enjoy the super-stylised over the top colourisation, clatterring, terifying soundtrack, and the loopy plotting then i guess you probably won't enjoy many of his other movies. but Suspiria is definitely the jumping off point.

For a giallo, start with Mario Bava's awesome Blood and Black Lace (i think available in R1 still, i have the ltd German release which was absurdly expensive). It's a great introduction to the genre and is also one of the most stunningly photographed films of the sixties in my opinion (again an amazing use of Technicolor). It's rare that a film so influencial holds up so well to modern viewing (and it really does feel like eveything in it has been ripped of by any number of classic horror/thrillers.

and Dawn of the Dead.....well is it enough to say it's my favourite film of all time and the Anchor Bay release is one of my favourite DVD releases of all time.

Last edited by BenH; 09-12-2004 at 17:05.
Guest 925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2004, 17:06   #62
John Hodson
Out to lunch...

Ta Ben, much appreciated
John Hodson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2004, 17:09   #63
anephric
Kidney Thief

There's the 3-disc of the Anchor Bay R1 with the Goblin soundtrack which is de-lovely nice but slightly harder to get...

The now ridiculously cheap R2 AB 2-disc is absolutely great, imho. Very decent indeed. Great extras... including the Soavi doc.

In fact, here's the R1 3-disc at a silly price:

Suspiria 3-disc

EDIT: I already own the R1 + R2 AB's of Suspiria and I've now gone for the above as well! See what you do to me, John! Money just melts through my hands...

Last edited by anephric; 09-12-2004 at 18:09.
anephric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2004, 17:15   #64
John Hodson
Out to lunch...

Mmmm; no Italian track on the R2 - would that be...annoying? Should I join you in penury aneprhic?
Old 09-12-2004, 17:23   #65
Guest 29
Last Of The Independents

Excellent recommendations above.

I'd add a word for Argento's "Profondo Rosso", which is my favourite 'giallo', and Mario Bava's barking-mad "Hatchet For The Honeymoon" which I reviewed here. Broadly speaking, if you've seen "And Then There Were None" or Hitchcock's "Frenzy", you've already seen an Anglicised version of the genre.

Michael Mackenzie on DVD Times has reviewed loads from the genre and is pretty reliable on the best editions of particular films.
Guest 29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2004, 17:27   #66
John Hodson
Out to lunch...

Quote:
I'd add a word for Argento's "Profondo Rosso",
Must admit, that's the one that's frequently caught my eye. Thanks for the link Mike.
Old 09-12-2004, 17:31   #67
Guest 925
Xbox Tag: mondoben

Profondo Rosso would defnitely be my second choice for Argento....it's fantastic and also does the job of fulfilling your request to see a Giallo
Guest 925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2004, 18:17   #68
anephric
Kidney Thief

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hodson
Mmmm; no Italian track on the R2 - would that be...annoying? Should I join you in penury aneprhic?
The English language version of Suspiria is very good indeed, as the principles (inc. Jessica Harper) spoke English... it's not jarring at all, certainly not in the way the English dub of Opera is... the dubbing spoils that quite considerably... but (due the the international context of production) either way you get dubbing.

Profundo Rosso would get my second vote too David Hemmings is great in it... and another wonderful soundtrack.

I'd go for that 3-disc if I were you, John: at that price it's silly. I considered paying over Ł30 for it on original release...

Mr. Mackenzie is indeed the font of all giallo knowledge Here's his Suspiria R1 3-disc LE review... http://www.dvdtimes.co.uk/content.php?contentid=5943

It's worth noting that the R2 lacks the 25th Anniversary doc that the R1 LE has, and the R1 lacks Soavi's Dario Argento World of Horror doc... so you need both really come... come with anephric...

Last edited by anephric; 09-12-2004 at 18:25.
anephric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2004, 18:37   #69
LordoftheDance
PSN: Stigdu

I like to think of myself as a bit of a giallo connoisseur also - may I make some recommendations for you, John?

The House with the Windows that Laughed
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0074287/

Pupi Avati, the director of this, was also an uncerdited director on Pier Paolo Pasolini's Salo...the 120 days of Sodom which is a powerful but very gruelling piece of work. Best disc is the Italian 25th anniversary version which comes in a nice little custom slip case.

What have you done to Solange?...
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0068416/

...is a great Italian giallo-lite and comes on a very decent R1 disc from Shriek Show.

Finally, I'd like to recommend Aldo Lada's

Short Night of the Glass Dolls
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0067384/

Another great early 70s giallo which grips you right from the start, seeing as the main story....

LordoftheDance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2004, 18:44   #70
John Hodson
Out to lunch...

Right, I've spent more than enough recently, and I really can't justify any more expense at this time of year...so I've ordered the 3-disc Suspiria and dumped Profondo Rosso in the basket for good measure ('get thee behind me anephric' having no discernible effect apparently)

LOTD - suggestions noted sir! I'll give these a work out first, but I think I'm in for small treat...thanks again chaps! (and I include the disembodied spirit of Mr. Mackenzie...)

Confession; good for the soul, hard on the wallet...

Last edited by John Hodson; 09-12-2004 at 19:11.