Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Film Discussion

Old 14-08-2004, 08:55   #41
DanWilde1966
I no longer post here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fozzybear
[BBC2 mode]
I have to admit to having suffered a bit of the "tick-list" syndrome, but there is a sense that when you see discussions of "great" films that you're missing out on something, not just an interesting experience but admission into a social group. The need to be accepted may well explain this, as most people will react negatively when asked "you haven't seen [insert film here]?". This can lead to "tick-sheet" film-watching in an attempt to avoid the feeling of exclusion. While it can open up an interest in different genres it does tend to dilute the experience of watching classic films. This, combined with the building of expectations through exposure to "best film ever" claims can lead to a sense of disappointment when the film is watched.

To be part of a discussion group on film can widen your horizons but it can sometimes flatten the experience.

[/BBC2 mode]
I would look at it from different angle. If a person professes to love cinema, what is the hardship of actually sitting in front of "classic cinema" and simply enjoying it? I suspect we have all done the box-ticking thing, but surely this is a good thing? A list of films to watch is a form of structure; it's a scheme of viewing which leads the viewer to movies which he or she might never otherwise make the time to watch. If a person is to be taken seriously as a hardcore cinephile, surely they ought to see certain works? It's what separates those with a passion for the art from those with merely a Saturday-night interest...
DanWilde1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2004, 13:22   #42
Guest 40950

Quote:
But you haven't explained what you were on about. To pontificate (in all apparent seriousness) that you could "die reasonably happy not having seen Casablanca, The Graduate, Aliens, Terminator, Seventh Seal et al", on account of some muddled notions about filmic hegemony, is a mistake. How do you know your thoughts about these films until you have actually taken the time to see them? By all means slag them off once you have taken that trouble, but to take the tone you have about them, with apparently no knowledge at all, is... well, not on!
oh lord.......no wonder it seems so 'muddled' when you perceive it as an assault on some nebuluous 'hegemony' which you fail to define. i have no interest in 'slagging off' the aforesaid sacred cows when dismissing the aesthetic value system that canonises them is a lot easier and less time consuming.

i just find it a little disappointing that people excoriate themselves, if only affectatiously, for not having 'taken the time' to do things that other people have decided are good for them. if people need to distinguish between experiences that produce immediate pleasure and those that elicit more complex emotions then there is room for improvement when submitting to the ticking-films-off-a-list school of film viewing. ergo my lamentations upon the displacement of the auteurist canon by one determined by oscars, box office receipts, popular encomium, platitudinous liberal humanism etc.

if i lose anything by ignoring some films then it's my loss alone so don't worry about it. and also for those who never see a film by mizoguchi, cassavetes, godard etc

Last edited by Lontano; 14-08-2004 at 13:24.
Guest 40950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2004, 14:12   #43
anephric
Kidney Thief

You have a rather polemic and schismatic approach to film appreciation, methinks.

I can understand somebody taking a "popularist" stance and refuting any arthouse, "pretentious" films etc but to accept some and rebuke others (without viewing them) seems a little arbitrary.

It's a bid odd to profess to a serious appreciatory love of film and ignore Bergman, for example. I can see a lot of Bergman in Wenders (oo-er).
anephric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2004, 14:51   #44
Brian_JD
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by spearce8
Deep throat

and Debbie does Dallas
Brian_JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2004, 18:15   #45
Marv
Friday the 13th

The GodFathers
None Of The Star Treck Movies
Taxi Driver
Raging Bull
None Of The Rockys
Haloween
Citzen Cane
Gone With The Wind
Dr. Zhivago
Casablanca
A Street Car Named Desire
Rebel Without A Casue
A Bridge To Far
The Magnificaent Seven
The Dam Busters
442 Squadron
Old 15-08-2004, 10:39   #46
Guest 23067
A Design For Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv
The GodFathers
None Of The Star Treck Movies
Taxi Driver
Raging Bull
None Of The Rockys
Haloween
Citzen Cane
Gone With The Wind
Dr. Zhivago
Casablanca
A Street Car Named Desire
Rebel Without A Casue
A Bridge To Far
The Magnificaent Seven
The Dam Busters
442 Squadron
I've not seen any of them and im sure i haven't seen most of the other films in the thread as well!
Guest 23067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2004, 17:24   #47
DanWilde1966
I no longer post here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lontano
oh lord.......no wonder it seems so 'muddled' when you perceive it as an assault on some nebuluous 'hegemony' which you fail to define. i have no interest in 'slagging off' the aforesaid sacred cows when dismissing the aesthetic value system that canonises them is a lot easier and less time consuming.

i just find it a little disappointing that people excoriate themselves, if only affectatiously, for not having 'taken the time' to do things that other people have decided are good for them. if people need to distinguish between experiences that produce immediate pleasure and those that elicit more complex emotions then there is room for improvement when submitting to the ticking-films-off-a-list school of film viewing. ergo my lamentations upon the displacement of the auteurist canon by one determined by oscars, box office receipts, popular encomium, platitudinous liberal humanism etc.

if i lose anything by ignoring some films then it's my loss alone so don't worry about it. and also for those who never see a film by mizoguchi, cassavetes, godard etc
I haven't the remotest idea what you are on about. In the words of Basil Fawlty (speaking to Bernard Cribbins), "why can't you speak properly?"
DanWilde1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2004, 08:39   #48
Guest 4140
Trusted User

Lontano

California Split due in Nov in R1 according to dvdfile.
Guest 4140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2004, 16:45   #49
Guest 40950

ya looking forward to that and short cuts cc!
Guest 40950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2004, 17:16   #50
LordoftheDance
PSN: Stigdu

Never seen Sound of Music, any of the classic Hollywood musicals, and I started watching Lawrence of Arabia a few years ago but it was soooooo boooooring, I gave up after about 1/2 hour...
LordoftheDance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2004, 18:05   #51
Guest 9814
Banned

Sorry to cut in, but what's the best version of the Seventh Seal on DVD? It's one i've always wanted to see but forgot about until this thread
Guest 9814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2004, 18:15   #52
John Hodson
Out to lunch...

AFAIK it's the Criterion; wonderful set.
John Hodson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2004, 18:27   #53
Guest 44661
Banned

I've never seen Grease.
Guest 44661 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2004, 18:34   #54
anephric
Kidney Thief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almighty
I've never seen Grease.
Keep it that way; you'll never have to weep for your lost innocence...
Old 27-08-2004, 18:58   #55
Guest 9814
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hodson
AFAIK it's the Criterion; wonderful set.
probably too expensive
Guest 9814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2004, 21:50   #56
Guest 29
Last Of The Independents

The transfer on the Tartan R2 "Seventh Seal" is excellent. There are few supplements though and if you're a Bergman beginner, there's not much to guide you. Still, well worth buying in the Play sale.
Guest 29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2004, 23:51   #57
Guest 5804
Trusted User

I don't have a tick-list, but I don't go out of my way to miss them either. If there is a 'classic' (ie very good but old film, hopefully) on telly or DVD (esp. with nice extras), and people whos' opinions I value says it's worth seeing, then I will. A film doesn't have to be new to be worth spending hard earned pennies on shiny discs. Some 'classic' films can be a product of their time and date very badly, but others still have the 'movie magic'.

I also appreciate that compared with the latest '3 seconds per scene' CGI laden action blockbuster, older films may seem slow (but quitting Laurence of Arabia in the first 30 minutes is like cancelling your holiday because you don't like the departure airport). The best classic films are a seduction, they take a while to reel you in, but remain with you for much longer, whilst a modern blockbuster is is more like a quick, err, well you know....
Guest 5804 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2004, 16:50   #58
John Hodson
Out to lunch...

Never seen an Argento film (and I'd be grateful for recommendations), a giallo film and I've still not got round to watching Dawn of The Dead yet (I will, I will...)

Oh, and I've yet to sit through the whole of East of Eden in one sitting. (Bit like going to confession; forgive me fellow forumites for I have sinned...)
Old 09-12-2004, 16:59   #59
anephric
Kidney Thief

Dawn of the Dead's quite apt considering you resurrected this one, John...

Suspiria's a good place to start for accessible Argento... it's his most flamboyant, entertaining, bombastic piece... and lacking a lot of his more "sleazy" elements...

Imho, of course...
anephric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2004, 17:04   #60
John Hodson
Out to lunch...

Quote:
Suspiria's a good place to start for accessible Argento... it's his most flamboyant, entertaining, bombastic piece... and lacking a lot of his more "sleazy" elements...
Any particular region or edition you'd recommend anephric?