Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Film Discussion

Old 11-08-2004, 18:44   #21
kjn6371
R.I.P san160844

The Godfather trilogy for me too.
kjn6371 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2004, 19:11   #22
Guest 155
Trusted User

Haven't seen The Sound of Music, apart from the first reel which I saw as part of a 70mm demonstration.

La regle du jeu and Rashomon are the only ones from the 2002 Sight & Sound Top Tens I have yet to see.

Apart from Distant Thunder, I've seen everything else mentioned so far.
Guest 155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2004, 22:42   #23
Guest 8146
Trusted User

Still haven't seen Gone with the Wind but the new four-disk set sounds like a good excuse to fix that oversight.

Haven't seen Casablanca but it's sitting on the shelf
Guest 8146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2004, 22:49   #24
earl_roberts2002

I haven't seen Seven Samurai, 8 1/2, Seventh Seal and many others I'm guessing. I think it's exciting that I've got so many films and filmmakers to get round to.
earl_roberts2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 00:24   #25
anephric
Kidney Thief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike
I've seen everything mentioned in this thread so far.
You've seen everything, ever, Mike. I'm constantly amazed by your cinematic perspicacity.

I thought I'd watched a lot of films but I'm a novitiate by the standards of some forumites.
Old 12-08-2004, 00:55   #26
Guest 40950

does anyone studiously avoid the anglophone 'classics' orthodoxy as witnessed on the imdb list et al? i think i could die reasonably happy not having seen casablanca, the graduate, aliens, terminator, seventh seal et al and it's unfortunate i can't retroactively add schindler's list, the deer hunter, gandhi etc to those.

now if i don't get to see the paradine case, stromboli, the story of the late chrysanthemums, au hasard balthazar, seven women, anatahan, the tarnished angels, satantango, the lady from shanghai, kings of the road, california split, the round-up, killer of sheep........

Last edited by Lontano; 12-08-2004 at 00:57.
Guest 40950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 01:06   #27
anephric
Kidney Thief

I think you're being a bit harsh on Bergman there.

I could die quite happily without ever sitting through another Wim Wenders effort.

Film is so ubiquitous because of the industry that is Hollywood so it's reasonable to expect that cultural imperialism to be reflected in movie "classic" lists. Hollywood also played a great part in the evolution of filmic grammar (whether it's to your taste or not is subjective).

My favourite film is Japanese (with part-American funding) but the next four are admittedly American.
anephric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 02:30   #28
Guest 29
Last Of The Independents

You've seen everything, ever, Mike. I'm constantly amazed by your cinematic perspicacity.

Well thankyou. I return the compliment and I wish it was true.

I've never seen "Ups and Downs Of A Handyman" though.

I could die quite happily without ever sitting through another Wim Wenders effort

I agree with you there, although I do like "Paris Texas" quite a lot. Didn't before I got divorced though. Maybe it's something that hits you when you get to 40, like prostate trouble.
Guest 29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 04:01   #29
Guest 40950

Quote:
Film is so ubiquitous because of the industry that is Hollywood so it's reasonable to expect that cultural imperialism to be reflected in movie "classic" lists
i think you misread my citations if you think i'm being anti-hollywood - 'cultural imperialism' might just as easily be read in the putative superiority of antediluvian 'foreign films' over some of the recondite and subversive hollywood filmmakers in my little list.

Quote:
I could die quite happily without ever sitting through another Wim Wenders effort
i sympathise with this but i'd like to see his early stuff as his career trajectory seems consistently downhill.

Last edited by Lontano; 12-08-2004 at 04:01.
Old 12-08-2004, 20:22   #30
MrSynner
Fear the puppet!

I've never seen The Deer Hunter, but I own both Charlie's Angels movies. Kurosawa has completely passed me by, but I've got The Avengers movie. I have a Bergman sized hole on my DVD shelf, right next to the Scooby Doo movie.

Is there some kind of pill I can take, or is the condition terminal?
MrSynner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2004, 08:27   #31
Guest 25476
Person A Non Grata

I have a strange relationship with cinema. I have seen an awful lot of classic cinema throughout the years (I used to work as a manager/programmer in the Art House circuit) but I take a deliberate, non-completist stance when it comes to my personal viewing habits.

I guess I prefer the joy of watching a great film for the first time over being able to cross films from a list and I have deliberately 'saved up' many great films to view 'fresh' in years to come.

I don't like the idea of there not being another Vertigo or Once Upon a Time in the West around the corner to inspire me anew and I find the idea of having watched every great film in existence and meticulously working my way through the B-grade stuff a bit depressing.

Twisted, I know, but that's what works for me.
Guest 25476 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2004, 08:35   #32
DanWilde1966
I no longer post here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lontano
does anyone studiously avoid the anglophone 'classics' orthodoxy as witnessed on the imdb list et al? i think i could die reasonably happy not having seen casablanca, the graduate, aliens, terminator, seventh seal et al and it's unfortunate i can't retroactively add schindler's list, the deer hunter, gandhi etc to those.
What on earth does this mean? This strikes me as an approach that cuts out much of cinema without giving any of it a chance, on the grounds of some overly-theoretical, somewhat muddled notions about ideology and hegemony. Why not just sit back and enjoy the movies??
DanWilde1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2004, 10:25   #33
James45
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by anephric

I thought I'd watched a lot of films but I'm a novitiate by the standards of some forumites.
And I'm constantly amazed by your voca... long list of words!

Even your logon sounds intellectual
James45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2004, 10:50   #34
joconnor
(,O'.')-O

I think he's actually Stephen Fry
joconnor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2004, 10:53   #35
balstino
Toothpick & Two Berettas

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigH
I've never even seen a film by David Lean (not sure why, maybe it's just the length of some of his films) - also, never seen any Merchant Ivory films
In that case I recommend Bridge on the River Kwai, fantastic film!
Old 13-08-2004, 15:07   #36
anephric
Kidney Thief

Quote:
Originally Posted by joconnor
I think he's actually Stephen Fry
I could deal with that but it means making films like Peter's Friends...

Grim.

Anephric actually means "without kidney" and I stole it from an episode of Millennium that I barely remembered watching at about 2AM. I've watched it since (thanks to the lovely dvd release) but it stuck with me and I've always used it in forums.

Highbrow, eh? That's me.
Old 13-08-2004, 22:32   #37
bronso
Trusted User

Quote:
In what way is The Seventh Seal an anglophone film?
bronso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2004, 00:17   #38
Guest 40950

'anglophone' refers to 'orthodoxy'
Old 14-08-2004, 07:48   #39
DanWilde1966
I no longer post here.

Quote:
'anglophone' refers to 'orthodoxy'
But you haven't explained what you were on about. To pontificate (in all apparent seriousness) that you could "die reasonably happy not having seen Casablanca, The Graduate, Aliens, Terminator, Seventh Seal et al", on account of some muddled notions about filmic hegemony, is a mistake. How do you know your thoughts about these films until you have actually taken the time to see them? By all means slag them off once you have taken that trouble, but to take the tone you have about them, with apparently no knowledge at all, is... well, not on!
DanWilde1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2004, 08:05   #40
Guest 1330
No Wakka for you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Person A
I have a strange relationship with cinema. I have seen an awful lot of classic cinema throughout the years (I used to work as a manager/programmer in the Art House circuit) but I take a deliberate, non-completist stance when it comes to my personal viewing habits.

I guess I prefer the joy of watching a great film for the first time over being able to cross films from a list and I have deliberately 'saved up' many great films to view 'fresh' in years to come.
[BBC2 mode]
I have to admit to having suffered a bit of the "tick-list" syndrome, but there is a sense that when you see discussions of "great" films that you're missing out on something, not just an interesting experience but admission into a social group. The need to be accepted may well explain this, as most people will react negatively when asked "you haven't seen [insert film here]?". This can lead to "tick-sheet" film-watching in an attempt to avoid the feeling of exclusion. While it can open up an interest in different genres it does tend to dilute the experience of watching classic films. This, combined with the building of expectations through exposure to "best film ever" claims can lead to a sense of disappointment when the film is watched.

To be part of a discussion group on film can widen your horizons but it can sometimes flatten the experience.

[/BBC2 mode]

Last edited by Fozzybear; 14-08-2004 at 08:07.
Guest 1330 is offline   Reply With Quote